Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 + GM hot cam...ticking sound expected?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS2 + GM hot cam...ticking sound expected?

Unfortunately, I know the sewing machine/ticking noise as I have a LS1 with SLP stage III head/cam, etc. and it ticks like a mother lover (sewing machine) and drives me nuts---but runs great.

I have been working with Corvette Enthusiast magazine on a GM performance crate LS2 swap into our 1985 Vette. In fact, (with much help from you guys too) it is in, running - wife is driving it every day and the first of four part series on the install is on the newsstand shelf now (current December issue).

www.mcspeed.com

Anyway - the next phase in this project is to install L76/L92 head/intake and GM hot cam supplied direct from GM performance for the project car. Parts are sitting on the shelf just about ready to go in, but we are waiting on the intake rockers and a few other small parts.

As we are set to do that, I can't help but wonder if this thing is going to make the same sort of annoying noise that my LS1 in the 69 Camaro makes.

If so...my wife won't be happy as it is her daily driver now.

Anybody done this? Having noise as a result?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced a TSP custom grind cam out of '05 SSR LS2 with GM hot cam. A couple lobes from the TSP had chunked out and caused a ruckus, but anyway - unfortunately, the car now has quite the annoying tick. I even tore it back down and replaced the oil pump o-ring as I thought the oil pressure was a few psi low... while I did gain a few psi back, the tick remains. it's frustrating as I have a LS1 with a much larger cam and don't have a tick at all.
albeit the SSR runs great.
hope your wife likes to listen to the radio loudly.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
Unfortunately, I know the sewing machine/ticking noise as I have a LS1 with SLP stage III head/cam, etc. and it ticks like a mother lover (sewing machine) and drives me nuts---but runs great.

I have been working with Corvette Enthusiast magazine on a GM performance crate LS2 swap into our 1985 Vette. In fact, (with much help from you guys too) it is in, running - wife is driving it every day and the first of four part series on the install is on the newsstand shelf now (current December issue).

www.mcspeed.com

Anyway - the next phase in this project is to install L76/L92 head/intake and GM hot cam supplied direct from GM performance for the project car. Parts are sitting on the shelf just about ready to go in, but we are waiting on the intake rockers and a few other small parts.

As we are set to do that, I can't help but wonder if this thing is going to make the same sort of annoying noise that my LS1 in the 69 Camaro makes.

If so...my wife won't be happy as it is her daily driver now.

Anybody done this? Having noise as a result?
Use Morel lifters and adjustable rocker arms so you can get that preload just right and it will not tick.

Quick Reply: LS2 + GM hot cam...ticking sound expected?