Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

slight blow by issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slight blow by issue

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing some blow by out of the valve cover breather upon revving the motor. It is a brief/minor puff of white smoke -- not excessive. I have been told it is normal for the LS1 motor.

The motor in question has a stock bottom end LS1 with LS6 Patriot Stage 2 heads, Pace Setter Headers, LS6 Intake, 90mm throttle body among others. 50,000 original miles, tracked only a hand full of times. In fact, the car has sat un-driven for the last month to month and a half.

Through research I have read that blow by is a bi-product of bad piston rings. Should I plan to have the motor rebuilt or is this standard for the LS1 motor? I also read that moisture in the oil can also lead to blow-by. Is this true? Should I change the oil before taking other steps?

I have also been told to check the MAF to see if there is oil collection in the unit. Is this a good idea?

Any help or insight would be great!

Thanks,
-Dan
Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, you are looking for the gen 3 forum. Secondly, some blow by is normal on some stock motors. how is your oil consumption? That will tell you alot.

Also, is it truly white smoke? White smoke means coolant. That is not good. If its coolant your looking at best blown head gasket, worst blown block.

Mine had smoke under acceleration. Turns out that 4 of the 8 cylinder walls were cracked into the water jackets causing coolant to get in. good luck