Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Bearing walk??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Bearing walk??

We have had 2 motors through the shop that have had cam bearings walk out of the bore and I know of a third. The engines were not built by our engine builder they were all 3 built by separate somewhat respected LSX builders. My engine guy can not say for sure what has caused it, he fixed the first one about a year ago and there have been no problems with it since, he is working on the second one now. One of the blocks was an 04 ls6 and the other 2 are LS2 blocks so they all used the later design cam bearings. All three were new blocks with aftermarket bearings (we were not involved with any of the builds so I dont know the brand of the bearings)
Has any one else ran into this problem? Any ideas other Than the obvious? All three motors were fairly radical road race motors with very low run time 1-4 hours. The engine shop I use has very sharp guys they have been building my engines for 10+ years. I trust them and their thoughts 100% but they dont see a ton of LSX motors.

Thanks for any Help, Dale
Old 11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

hmm, is there a possibility he beaings werent sseated right?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,
We try to leave stock cam bearings in after the washing or "pin" the aftermarket cam bearings. Aftermarkets DO move.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by See5
Yes,
We try to leave stock cam bearings in after the washing or "pin" the aftermarket cam bearings. Aftermarkets DO move.
Thanks that is what I was thinking since we always start with a new block and leave the stock bearings in on all of our motors and we have never had the problem.
If you are willing to share the info I am very interested in how you are pinning the bearings? We had looked at going in through the oil passages with some type of set screw.
Thanks, Dale
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

This happened to the motor in my car. I had just thought it was bad OP sending unit because my pressure slowly decreased over about a 6 month period. Hell, I even autocrossed with about 5psi. Had I known it was a true 5psi I wouldn't have done it. Anyways when it finally went south a retainer broke (don't know how that happened) and when I eventually got everything torn down, I saw the bearing hanging half way out the back of the block.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT This **** interest me like you wouldn't belive.

Quick Reply: Cam Bearing walk??