Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anybody using crankcase evacuation system like this

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody using crankcase evacuation system like this

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...4093_-1_799001

Was looking at going with the L92 heads and the Carb intake.
So then my catch can would become useless. I don't want to just put breathers on the valve covers. I searched but only cars that used this or a vac. pump was carb'd SBC BBC. A $900 vac pump is a little to much for a street strip car for me. Unless thats the only other option?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe that system is made for open headers. Could this help you out?

http://s41657.sites80.storefront-hos...l.aspx?ID=3287

D.J.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Thats cool, So you just run it with the breather only no vac lines ?

I have no cats and when I go to the track it is open headers ...
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen old school set-ups that used a smog pump to evac. the crankcase. Works and a lot cheaper that the moroso pump.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That will work great on a race motor with open headers..used to run that system on Super Stocker and Gasser motors back in the 70s..not really an option on a street car..
Old 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slowcar
https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...4093_-1_799001

Was looking at going with the L92 heads and the Carb intake.
So then my catch can would become useless. I don't want to just put breathers on the valve covers. I searched but only cars that used this or a vac. pump was carb'd SBC BBC. A $900 vac pump is a little to much for a street strip car for me. Unless thats the only other option?
As I said in your other thread, You can still run the catchcan on the carb intake. I will be. You can hook it in anywhere in the intake tract, as long as its after the spot in the intake tube where the PCV system draws its fresh air from. Ill be using an NPT-barb fitting tapped into the manifold between the legs for the 1 and 2 runners.

For the exhaust-draw system, you would only have enough exhaust velocity to draw crankcase vapor out at or near WOT. Thats why its really only used on drag cars. Even circle track guys dont use them, as they runt he risk of sucking oil out in turns.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used that setup alot in the "old school" setups. It works pretty well.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KonnietheGoat
Ill be using an NPT-barb fitting tapped into the manifold between the legs for the 1 and 2 runners.
Like this thru the flat plate(see pic) ? Then run that thru the catch can and back into the elbow behind the TB ?

Anybody using crankcase evacuation system like this-manifold.jpg

For the exhaust-draw system, you would only have enough exhaust velocity to draw crankcase vapor out at or near WOT. Thats why its really only used on drag cars. Even circle track guys dont use them, as they runt he risk of sucking oil out in turns.
The reason I was thinking of using this was that you wouldn't be sucking fumes back thru the motor ? More oxygen more power
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slowcar
Like this thru the flat plate(see pic) ? Then run that thru the catch can and back into the elbow behind the TB ?

Attachment 110286

The reason I was thinking of using this was that you wouldn't be sucking fumes back thru the motor ? More oxygen more power
Naw, more like this (although this is a shot of the back of the manifold, but you get the Idea):

And you are not dumping bad gasses back into the manifold with the catch can. The vast majority of the oil and blowby (fuel) vapor will be filtered out by the can. With the exhaust velocity siphon, you would loose low end power by not getting those gasses out of there as efficiently as a pump or PCV system, as well as shortening your oil life by allowing the blowby to contaminate the oil, causing sludge and acids.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Naw, more like this (although this is a shot of the back of the manifold, but you get the Idea):

And you are not dumping bad gasses back into the manifold with the catch can. The vast majority of the oil and blowby (fuel) vapor will be filtered out by the can. With the exhaust velocity siphon, you would loose low end power by not getting those gasses out of there as efficiently as a pump or PCV system, as well as shortening your oil life by allowing the blowby to contaminate the oil, causing sludge and acids.

Gotcha. Thats exactly what I was wondering about, where to put it and the what would happen if you used that...

Now I have both lines (1 from intake and 1 from valve cover) running thru the catch can and back to the intake. Seems like that works good I get nasty looking oil/crap in the can. Why would you not use the drivers side valve cover as a place to pull the fumes out also ? It has that plug over a ftg.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

The fumes dont pull from the valve covers, thats the Inlet for fresh air. The PCV valve and outlet is located in the valley cover. And thats the best place to pull from. If you are not running an OE style valley cover with the PCV in it, you could Pull the vapor from the driver side valve cover, and either keep the factory inlet on the passenger side, or plug it, and use a breather in place of the oil cap. Any crank vent system, be it pump, PCV, draft tube, or exhaust, needs fresh air in.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

But with the stock valley cover the best thing to do is just leave it how it came ? Fresh air into the maf tube from the valve pass cover ftg. Then leave the driver side pluged
Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Teching In

with the stock valley cover, you can feed the system with fresh air as stock (into the passenger valve cover from the tube), and still run a line to connect the driver side valve cover out put and the valleycover (stock pcv output) into the catch can, then back to the intake. That will help vent the crank case at WOT when the PCV valve is effectively closed due to the lack of manifold vacuum. SHould the crank case pressure exceed the manifold pressure, the gasses will vent thru the catch can naturally, maintaining a perfect (theoretical) balance. If you are FI (which with the carb intake would be procarger or turbo), that would not work, of course.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

It will be N/A. I'll just leave the stock system there, and make it look like this
( I know this is the coolest drawing evar LOL )

Anybody using crankcase evacuation system like this-manifold2.jpg
Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Not the worlds best drawing, but yeah, do it like that. Thats a (shoddily drawn) textbook image of a PCV system lay out.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

awsome thanks a ton

Quick Reply: Anybody using crankcase evacuation system like this