Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Questions on putting LS2 in C5 corvette inside please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions on putting LS2 in C5 corvette inside please.

OK i'm about to purchase a LS2 short block for my 2000 C5. What will and wont transfer over? IT will not come with oil pan, oil pump minor things. I hear about a 28tooth or 48 or something reluctor? Whats that and I think I need the 28 but is it on my motor to swap over? Front and rear engine covers? Alot of people say get the 2 piece front while out but if i had to will mine transfer over? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bruce
email ecurb3@comcast.net
AIM-FartpipeZ28
Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

If you have a Z06 then you can transfer the oil pump. If you want better information on this, go to www.texas-speed.com they should be able to help you out this this.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm wanting to put a LS2 in due to the slight increase in cube size, and my bottom end has about 95k miles on it. I think its time to either freshen up the bottom end or I can just put the LS2 short block in with my parts on it. I understand the LS2 has basically similar heads to mine. I have the TSP PRC LS6 Stage 1's on my car now. I have a magic stick 3 cam but i was going to change out to a MS4 when I did this and sell my parts to ofset some of the cost. I found what I think is a fair deal on the short block but if I have to buy oil pan,and things wont line up I would rethink things. If my reluctor on my 2000 LS1 engine will bolt on I'm not as worried. I'm a bit lost with the term "RELUCTOR" right now. So any info on that is helpful aswell.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'd want the LS2 short to already have the 24x reluctor installed on the crank...otherwise you have to pull the crank out to change it. 2005 LS2's all had 24x reluctor but later years have gone to 58x and also the later LS2 cam gear reluctor has changed.The new crank reluctor wheel needs to be aligned perfectly....it's not a backyard type of job.

Oil pan and front driven accessories are interchangeable LS1 to LS2. LS1 heads,cam,intake,injectors, coils,will all work on LS2.

You need specific items for LS2 : Front cover and timing gear, valley cover, lifter trays,(harness extensions).

Install of LS1 knock sensors into LS2 location is a 10 minute job if the engine is out of the car. You need to drill and tap the LS2 knock sensor threads to M10x1.5. Extend the old wires.

You need to extend the wires from back to front for the cam sensor.

58x reluctor on crank

24x reluctor on crank

24x reluctor wheel
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

HSV thanks for the input!!!And PICS!!!! FN awesome you had those available. That will greatly help in my hunt to assure I dont purchase the wrong item/reluctor gear. Is there a conversion or adapter if you did purchase one?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zturd
That will greatly help in my hunt to assure I dont purchase the wrong item/reluctor gear. Is there a conversion or adapter if you did purchase one?
Nope.
As at this date.....GM LS1 computers still need the black crank sensor and 24x reluctor wheel.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

just make your ls1 a 383 and call it a day no problem then, or buy a miata ha ha
Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

This is too complicated.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

OK i'm about to purchase a LS2 short block for my 2000 C5. What will and wont transfer over? IT will not come with oil pan, oil pump minor things. I hear about a 28tooth or 48 or something reluctor? Whats that and I think I need the 28 but is it on my motor to swap over? Front and rear engine covers? Alot of people say get the 2 piece front while out but if i had to will mine transfer over? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bruce
email ecurb3@comcast.net
AIM-FartpipeZ28
You can use all of your stock heads, intake, accessories, etc.

Your stock pump pickup and oil pan will work the same as well.

You have to use a 24 tooth reluctor in your car, if the engine does not already have that, pass on it, it has to come all of the way apart to do it.

Your front cover, rear cover and valley cover will not work either, you also need a cam sensor extension too.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK so looking even more seriously now. I found a long block stock LS2 out of a 05 GTO for $2000. They took it apart to check the engine over. At this point would recommend to just have a shop go over it, rering it, new bearings, clean everything up, cadillac lifters for it. Curious what you think that would cost. It will have the front and rear covers on and oil pump. I could sell the heads, put my cam and heads on it with my intake then. So I would need harness extensions... anything else???? Thank all of you for taking the time to reply.

Bruce

Remember going into a 2000 FRC corvette
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

OK so looking even more seriously now. I found a long block stock LS2 out of a 05 GTO for $2000. They took it apart to check the engine over. At this point would recommend to just have a shop go over it, rering it, new bearings, clean everything up, cadillac lifters for it. Curious what you think that would cost. It will have the front and rear covers on and oil pump. I could sell the heads, put my cam and heads on it with my intake then. So I would need harness extensions... anything else???? Thank all of you for taking the time to reply.

Bruce

Remember going into a 2000 FRC corvette
I charge about 2700 to go through a short block, that includes new ARP mains, forged pistons, rods bearings etc.... Since that motor is an '05 you need to change the reluctor wheel to a 24X and use the right sensor, the stock one from your car will work.

Also, I would not spend the money on the caddy lifters, I have used several sets of the LS7 lifters and they are fine, also right around $100 instead of $225.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GEN3Typhoon
Since that motor is an '05 you need to change the reluctor wheel to a 24X
You might want to check further into this.
05 LS2's all had 24x
You'll probably find that all 05 and 06 GTO's had 24x as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300
You might want to check further into this.
05 LS2's all had 24x
You'll probably find that all 05 and 06 GTO's had 24x as well.
Yeah my mistake, you are right!!!!

I live in Corvette land.... sorry.

Just needs to be 24x... thanks!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

The motor I found is out of a 05 GTO and he has a picture of the 24x reluctor. I was looking to only have the bottom end freshened up. I dont need anything really special. I think the motor could take a fair amount of track use in its stock form.

The long block would cost me around $2300. I figure I could sell the heads for say $500 really fast. Bringing my cost down to $1800. If i could spend around $500-1000 for rebearing,re-ring,etc. Put my heads,cam,intake and drop in and have a fresh bottom end for $3200 with gaskets/lifters etc. Car should put out around 460-470rwhp unless I upgrade my cam from the MS3. Sell my short block or put the other heads on it and sell as a long block.
Just thinking out loud where I'm wrong please correct me!!!!!!!!

Curious what getting the front and rear covers would cost?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bigcam
just make your ls1 a 383 and call it a day no problem then, or buy a miata ha ha
Dude whatever u do ,dont stroke your Ls1 for a 383 ,u will be kicking yourself in the *** if u do,the switch is not difficult,the price for the shortblock to my door was 4,700 dollars & thats all forged internals call texas speed ,they will answer any questions u may have ,thats Ls2 402 9 to1 compression on 14lbs of boost it should scream ,then when all these new heads& all these Nice high flowing parts come out & your sitting there with your Ls1 based motor your gonna be wishing u had a 4.0 bore ,just wanna warn ya before making a 5k decision like that its too much money to be pissing away ,to have someone tell u to put a 383 in it & call it a day,if u put an Ls1 baCK IN it @ Least go with a 408 ,, All short-blocks will be built using the 2005 and older 24x tooth reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. If you have a 2006+ vehicle that you will be installing our engine in you may need the updated 58x tooth reluctor wheel

Quick Reply: Questions on putting LS2 in C5 corvette inside please.