Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

383 LS1 using LS7 crank, rods, dry sump, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 LS1 using LS7 crank, rods, dry sump, etc.

Anybody done it?

I can get a used LS7 crank, rods, oil pan and dry sump setup for really cheap and was thinking it may make a good candidate for stroking the LS1. I know the reluctor wheel would have to be changed, but what else? Will the LS7 dry sump work on the LS1 if using the LS7 oil pump? Any insight into the feasibility of making it work would be much appreciated.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should work fine. You'd need custom pistons, but other than that everything should swap. You might have to switch the reluctor depending on what PCM you're using. Any more details on, "really cheap"? Is that from a friend or could this deal be repeatable?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Launching!

By "really cheap" I mean virtually free. Sorry, it's not a repeatable deal.

Now that I think about a little more, I'm worried about the front pulley situation since I have an F-body setup and the LS7 stuff is obviously 'vette. Also, the need to buy a new LS7 front cover in place of the standard LS1 and moving the camshaft sensor upfront is concerning cost wise. Also, while I have the oil tank out of the Z06 for the dry sump system, I can't see mounting the thing in anything but another 'vette (the thing has to be at least two feet tall!), so I would have to buy an aftermarket oil tank and breather system if I couldn't get that to work.

I was thinking that I could probably use the stock LS1 pistons, but then I realized that they are pressed on for use with the LS1 rods and not floating like the LS7 pin/rods, so that's another issue.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

LS7 crankshaft won't work unless you are changing all acessories to LS7 corvette and using Y body LS7 oiling system.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if you're not planning on doing it want to direct the deal this way?

Quick Reply: 383 LS1 using LS7 crank, rods, dry sump, etc.