Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Max bore and max stroke on LS7?

Where can I find this info?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
stroke is 4.250, bore is anywhere from 4.125-4.135 ish
Are you sure he should take a ls7 block to 4.250?? Not much sleeve left....
Old 01-25-2008, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

^^^He's talking about stroke there Stang's Bane. Your motor fixed yet? How come your master engine builder didn't know how to set things up? Not bashing, just trying to understand what went on?? Traver
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

4.250" stroke leaves you at .990" CD

That is almost impossible to build, ask any piston expert. The rings are all bunched together at that point.

The LS7 block does have longer sleeves then the LSX block mind you

I would stay with a 4.100/4.125" crankshaft as being max stroke, but nothing wrong with 4.000" stroke setup.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4.145 is the max bore of a ls7 and 4.145 is a piston available as a overbore from gm. And max stroke is 4.125 recamended. So biggest ls7 is 445ci which is what I have. if you go 4.250 stroke the pistons wont be very stable and the ring stack will be very high this can be a n/a only motor and not reved high due to high piston speed id say 65-6800 rev limit big bore motor is the way to go with a short stroke.

George

Last edited by 07BlueDevilZ06; 01-25-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

Fraser do you build your own engines or have them built? You get the correct piston and its not an issue.
We have a machinist who builds engines.

hope that helps?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well George, you seem to be incorrect on stroke. The bottom is where the extra length comes in from what I undertand. He's a busy guy but maybe he'll chime in here. HKRacing engines. Eric Koenig is the man to talk to. PM him and I'm sure he'll help you out.

You guys need to speak with him. I'm not a builder just going by what I was told from him.

can be build and right are 2 different things
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ramairws6
^^^He's talking about stroke there Stang's Bane. Your motor fixed yet? How come your master engine builder didn't know how to set things up? Not bashing, just trying to understand what went on?? Traver
I read that wrong, my fault

The mess up came from another shop, not the good guy

HKE has it now, no mess ups there. He ordered a new set of pistons, so we should be good to go by the end of next month
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, you had better speak with him. He builds them right and corrects other shops on here's mistakes. You really need to watch yourself there. People in the know respect what he says very much.

I dont need to speak to anyone. I build my own stuff and I correct alot of other peoples stuff also. currently have one of the fastest Z06's in the country built buy me. Im in to longivity the piston in a 4.250 stroke motor is way less stable then a 4.125 stroke. On the 4.250 stroke the compressed height is very short and does not give a very good ring stack and the skirt needs to be short to clear on the bottom which makes the piston less stable. Im sure it can be built but it will not live as lone as a shorter stroke motor. also with a comprimized ring stack power adders are out of the question.

George
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"We can make a pistons for the 4.250 stroke and the 6.200 rod but, it will get you only a .915 compression height. Which is very small for a street car. We can make piston with .750 compression heights but, it is not something that we do everyday. Just wanted to clear that up, we can make the piston I just would not advise it for street use.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons"

So diamond says not for street so that means no longivity

George
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I am no expert, but a stock LS7 block has shorter sleeves than my RED's Darton sleeved block.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the Darton sleeves in my new block.

The piston is from a 4" bore out of my old LS2.

I was told my sleeves are .350" longer than the stock LS7 sleeve. That is why it can handle a little extra stroke and keep the piston more stable at the bottom of the stroke.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

I'll leave with this

Originally Posted by email from anonymous piston company
Fraser,
We can build that design, they just dont make a nice piece. If you want a piston for a 454 lsx, I will make it for you. Just want to warn you that it will be a crappy design. Give me a shout if you would like to discuss it further.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my ls7 had sleeve extension that stuck out the bottom more then the block in your photo.

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I am no expert, but a stock LS7 block has shorter sleeves than my RED's Darton sleeved block.

I was told my sleeves are .350" longer than the stock LS7 sleeve. That is why it can handle a little extra stroke and keep the piston more stable at the bottom of the stroke.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 07BlueDevilZ06
my ls7 had sleeve extension that stuck out the bottom more then the block in your photo.
Actually I did a search and found the LS7 is 5.900 gray iron vs my 5.800 ductile iron sleeve. Mine is a 4.190" bore though

I will let you know how my custom Wiseco's turn out for my 4.125 stroke Callies. They should be here very soon.

Last edited by RAMPANT; 01-25-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

Fraser you really need to do yourself a favor and talk to Erik. I cant get into our conversations as what was told to me was in private but trust me on this.
For the sake of your own knowlegde and your customers best interest speak with racer7088... Erik . You will be overwhelmed with his knowlege of the industry, engines, piston builders that everyone uses and all things engine.
I have no clue what your talking about

I've spoken with Erik in past on suppliers and small stuff, even built the motor for a buddy of mine, Mike Shellenbarger, of course when he informed me of this I told him hes making a sound decision to use Erik's services.

I don't think we're the only shop that can build a motor.

Last edited by Fraser@SpeedInc; 01-25-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by 07BlueDevilZ06
"We can make a pistons for the 4.250 stroke and the 6.200 rod but, it will get you only a .915 compression height. Which is very small for a street car. We can make piston with .750 compression heights but, it is not something that we do everyday. Just wanted to clear that up, we can make the piston I just would not advise it for street use.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons"

So diamond says not for street so that means no longivity

George
The sleeve length and rod length and the ring stack determine how much skirt is left in the bore at the bottom. We don't use a 6.200 rod with the 4.250 stroke but rather a different rod. The rod length, stroke and deck height tell you how much CH and ring stack you can run.

The CH I use on that is .995 and it works great for NA motors and could certainly run some small NOS as well and has. We aren't using .078 rings so we have fairly normal NA ring lands and ring stack and plenty of skirt in the bore still at BDC as well as the correct skirt shape to make it work.

Also Chris Gelineau does not = Diamond Pistons and only worked there for a short time and was not a piston engineer but rather a salesman before he left and started ripping people off on this website and went bankrupt and got banned. 900 hp WOO engines use pistons this short and spin 8500 all night long.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 AM
FormerVendor

Angry

Wasnt trying to show you up at all, not disrespect intended. He said no problems with that stroke. In fact he suggested it when I was talking to him about a build using the 4.100. Just trying to be politicaly correct as best I can.

Blanco, don't be getting these guys mad at me!!!

The 4.250 deal is not anything easy for a reg shop to do as there are many things that can be done wrong but we do stuff like this pretty often.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by RAMPANT

NO Darton sleeves I know of are any .350 longer than an LS7 or you couldn't even hone them! You have an older Darton with SHORTER sleeves than an LS7 probably, maybe the 5.675 long deals but they are still longer than the oem reg LSx stuff at least which is a good thing. The Darton stuff is all awesome and I had several talks with Steve at RED about making them even longer like they are now so they could offer more skirt support down there at BDC. We did this years ago and now the Dartons are 5.800 and 5.900 long so even lower break points can be used and/or more stroke.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
I'll leave with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by email from anonymous piston company
Fraser,
We can build that design, they just dont make a nice piece. If you want a piston for a 454 lsx, I will make it for you. Just want to warn you that it will be a crappy design. Give me a shout if you would like to discuss it further.

I don't do that combo either since the cylinders are just not long enough. The CH is not the issue but rather the problems at BDC. I don't even do many 4.125 deals in a reg length cylinder because of this but rather mostly 4.100s or my piston gets too cramped for rings.

I will say that what I told Blanco about the majority of piston people and reps being utterly clueless though is certainly true. We have crap right now in the shop from a very big name race engine builder that has only done a few LS1s and a huge piston outfit sold him the stuff in this engine and it was major money too. It burns a quart of oil per 100 miles and is new.

The block was done perfectly by this race engine builder and yet because of the asinine piston design used with this perfectly normal and expertly put together 6.125 rodded 4.000 stroke deal it was a giant smoking POS. The skirts had over .010 taper in them and were basically straight taper being biggest at the bottom. These had long "stable" skirts and with .0045 cold clearance still rocked .050 at the top and almost .150 at the bottom.

These pistons cost 1800.00 and were not expedited.

The rings cost 267.00 and had napier seconds.

That engine made 83 more rwhp when the correct 500.00 pistons and 75.00 rings were installed and no more smoke and no more excessive crankcase pressure.

A resident piston expert at this company said that they thought the cylinders were 6.000 long but still couldn't explain the nearly .011 total taper. Fortunately this company is one of the most popular piston companies for the american V8 market but is not a regular player on this bulletin board.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by racer7088
I don't do that combo either since the cylinders are just not long enough. The CH is not the issue but rather the problems at BDC. I don't even do many 4.125 deals in a reg length cylinder because of this but rather mostly 4.100s or my piston gets too cramped for rings.

I will say that what I told Blanco about the majority of piston people and reps being utterly clueless though is certainly true. We have crap right now in the shop from a very big name race engine builder that has only done a few LS1s and a huge piston outfit sold him the stuff in this engine and it was major money too. It burns a quart of oil per 100 miles and is new.

The block was done perfectly by this race engine builder and yet because of the asinine piston design used with this perfectly normal and expertly put together 6.125 rodded 4.000 stroke deal it was a giant smoking POS. The skirts had over .010 taper in them and were basically straight taper being biggest at the bottom. These had long "stable" skirts and with .0045 cold clearance still rocked .050 at the top and almost .150 at the bottom.

These pistons cost 1800.00 and were not expedited.

The rings cost 267.00 and had napier seconds.

That engine made 83 more rwhp when the correct 500.00 pistons and 75.00 rings were installed and no more smoke and no more excessive crankcase pressure.

A resident piston expert at this company said that they thought the cylinders were 6.000 long but still couldn't explain the nearly .011 total taper. Fortunately this company is one of the most popular piston companies for the american V8 market but is not a regular player on this bulletin board.
Damn Erik, go to bed.

Quick Reply: Max bore and max stroke on LS7?