Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

No oil pressure on 408 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure on 408 build

I've read all of the threads about people with this same issue and I have some ideas..

Symptoms: engine has between 0 and 20 psi at idle mostly 0. Attached a line to the oil sending unit and the little oil that was coming out was very milky and full of air.

I have checked the dumb bell plug and front galley plug are in.

I have a double roller timing chain set-up with the appropriate spacers, installed correctly, this was checked several times. The pump is brand new ls6 ported.

The oil pick up wont reach the oil pump correctly and is slightly cocked. I believe this is my problem, since it is not getting a good seal. Is there any way to make the pick up tube to seal correctly and set flush on the pump while the pump is spaced due to the double roller set up??

Engine set-up: Lq9 408, GTO oil pan, Pick up, windage tray, ls6 ported oil pump, k&n oil filter, double roller timing chain.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Put the stock oil pump back on then you will know if it works its the pick up on the ported one .
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Im thinking though the pump is fine just the double roller setup pushes the pick up tube out so far it wont seal correctly. Is there a fix for this?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notched the hole that mounts the pickup tube to the main stud
Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

I might have to do that if that the problem. Or go back to the single chain setup.

Would that make since the oil having lots of air in it and very low pressure? If the pick up was not sealing?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 AM
That's what she said...

You will have to widen the hole that mounts the tube to the main stud. Just mock it up, figure out which way it needs to go, draw a line, then ream it out with a drill bit. If you get it in a bind, it may not seal right. Also, be careful with the pickup tube bolt that goes into the pump, threads may be getting weak with all this removal/installation.

You should also measure up from the block's oil pan rails to the suction side of the pickup tube, then measure from the rails on the pan down to the bottom of the pan, and make sure you've got enough clearance. If you don't, you may have to bend the tube toward the crank a bit and measure again. 2 machinist's rulers work great for this. Not sure how much space there should be, but keep in mind that the gasket will give you an extra 3/32" clearance or so once it's on.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS240sx
I might have to do that if that the problem. Or go back to the single chain setup.

Would that make since the oil having lots of air in it and very low pressure? If the pick up was not sealing?
Very much so. One side of the O-ring is being crushed while the other is not sealing.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Well Im going to the shop today to continue work Ill come back and update you all one what happens. I hope this fixes it cause Im ready to drive my car.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to widen the hole that mounts to the main stud just so it would fit. I mounted it to the oil pump first to give it a good seal then i GENETLY coaxed it with a dead bow hammer until it lined up.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transAm-98
I had to widen the hole that mounts to the main stud just so it would fit. I mounted it to the oil pump first to give it a good seal then i GENETLY coaxed it with a dead bow hammer until it lined up.

I ended up widening the GTO Pick up tube mounting plate hole. It seems to have fixed it. Although the pressure is 60-70 cold it still drops to 20 psi fully warm. I think Im going to go to a Melling Pump.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the melling high volume pump and that thing is awesome. It runs about 45 psi warm and 80 psi at wot.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

hi,

i dont think the problem is with the pickup tube, i think its the aluminum spacer(larger one) that is used when installing the double chain setup. its possible to install it both ways, if installed the wrong way 1/3 of the oil from the pressure side of the pump will be goind directly into the crankcase.

hope this helps

volkan
Old 02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ended up widening the GTO Pick up tube mounting plate hole. It seems to have fixed it. Although the pressure is 60-70 cold it still drops to 20 psi fully warm. I think Im going to go to a Melling Pump.

Cut the oil filter open and make sure there is no bearing material in there first.
What oil weight are you running?
There has been known problems with some oil filters dropping pressure too.Don't know about K+N.We use GM filters with no problems.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transAm-98
I've got the melling high volume pump and that thing is awesome. It runs about 45 psi warm and 80 psi at wot.
That's probably more oil pressure than you need. That's wasting HP and creating extra heat.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

I've read all of the threads about people with this same issue and I have some ideas..

Symptoms: engine has between 0 and 20 psi at idle mostly 0. Attached a line to the oil sending unit and the little oil that was coming out was very milky and full of air.

I have checked the dumb bell plug and front galley plug are in.

I have a double roller timing chain set-up with the appropriate spacers, installed correctly, this was checked several times. The pump is brand new ls6 ported.

The oil pick up wont reach the oil pump correctly and is slightly cocked. I believe this is my problem, since it is not getting a good seal. Is there any way to make the pick up tube to seal correctly and set flush on the pump while the pump is spaced due to the double roller set up??

Engine set-up: Lq9 408, GTO oil pan, Pick up, windage tray, ls6 ported oil pump, k&n oil filter, double roller timing chain.

Oil pump O-ring is probably nuked. The pick-up MUST be seated properly everytime.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Im ordered a melling. So it will go in before any dyno time. I just had bad problems with 20 psi on my last motor and it may have had nothing to do with the bearings on the 100K+ motor going out but I dont want to take any chances.

The motor seems to run fine with no odd noises so Ill drive it for now that way. When i change the oil in 400 miles Ill check for metal but i dont think it will have any. Also the K&N is a good oil filter. Fram blah.

Also Im running 20w50 Castrol Conventional

And the shimes are installed correctly I double and triple checked this before install.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O-Ring is probaly wrong or bad. There is some sealer that I used when I put on a double roller a couple of years ago. If you want to feel secure about the oil pump sealing. This stuff is the real deal! It is called Hylomar! It has been around for a long time and it works.

http://www.hylomar-usa.com/

Permatex sells it under the same name.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Ill look into that. The new pump should be here within a week.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure on 408 build