Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 vs LS2

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 vs LS2

If you were going to swap an engine in an F-body(98-02), would you do a LS2 or LS3?

I honestly don't know a lot about the LS2 or the LS3 (or most engines in particular) but I do plan to swap engines when I have the money. And I'm not doing it myself, lol, I'm paying someone to do it.

But what would be capable of better track times? Like for instance, the LS3 is getting a crate that has 515 stock(http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...l.jsp?engine=2) and I'm... going to assume naturally aspirated so you can supercharge/turbocharge? The LS2 is only at 400 HP/TQ. But I see the LS3 as being a lot more expensive but does the additional HP and TQ make up for it?

Anyone mind filling me in? and before I get any "search!"'s, I did. I also browsed quite a few pages in this section and couldn't find anything answering my question. If I missed it, sorry.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I'm... going to assume naturally aspirated so you can supercharge/turbocharge?
Huh??

If you are going to supercharge or turbo it, I'd buy a built motor from a sponsor. If you are staying naturally aspirated, the question is the price difference. The LS3 has better heads and more cubes, but everything has a price.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, call a sponser =================>
Dont waste money on a stock ls2/ls3 when you can have one custom built for your application. FI (i.e. forced induction which = turbo/super-charger) require forged internals and lower compression to reach optimal HP. Any shop will tell you this.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem with that is, I don't have the money to buy it custom built with everything at once.

As easy and as much as I'd like to, I don't have 10-25k to spend at once (I'm only 18).
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well,the ls3 in a better engine,but neither of these is a drop in for an f body,there are lots of things that need changed in order to make it work,your best bet and cheapest is to buy a nice shortblock or longblock ls1
i have forged shortblocks starting at $2750, and longblocks at $5750.00
Old 02-04-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the difference between a shortblock and a longblock?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

ls2 FTW! More mods available right now. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicinity
What's the difference between a shortblock and a longblock?
A shorblock is just the block and internals. A longblock includes heads and cam.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LS3. If you look at the corvette forum, the 2008s are getting 385-390 rwhp stock and 430-440 w/ bolt ons. With just a cam (w/ bolt ons) they are getting over 500 rwhp. They have a little more CI than an LS2 and have L92 heads. On top of that, in stock form they run regular gas.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem with that is, I don't have the money to buy it custom built with everything at once.

As easy and as much as I'd like to, I don't have 10-25k to spend at once (I'm only 18).
Then you should probably do what all the other 18 year olds do and get a lid
Old 02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

If you were going to swap an engine in an F-body(98-02), would you do a LS2 or LS3?

I honestly don't know a lot about the LS2 or the LS3 (or most engines in particular) but I do plan to swap engines when I have the money. And I'm not doing it myself, lol, I'm paying someone to do it.

But what would be capable of better track times? Like for instance, the LS3 is getting a crate that has 515 stock(http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...l.jsp?engine=2) and I'm... going to assume naturally aspirated so you can supercharge/turbocharge? The LS2 is only at 400 HP/TQ. But I see the LS3 as being a lot more expensive but does the additional HP and TQ make up for it?

Anyone mind filling me in? and before I get any "search!"'s, I did. I also browsed quite a few pages in this section and couldn't find anything answering my question. If I missed it, sorry.
In all honesty, u need to think of what ur goals are long term as well as short. If you are thinking of eventually going turbo\super, if its a drag car or street car, etc.
Instead of ordering a gm crate, why dont u check out some of the engines available from the sponsors?
They have 450,500,600 etc rwhp motors of many different types including Ls1,ls2,lsx, forged internals, etc for good prices. I have seen motors with 500hp for 5k or so. Check it out.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
In all honesty, u need to think of what ur goals are long term as well as short.

Great advice. I see too many people make the mistake of building for short term, tearing apart, getting pennies on the dollar, then building again, ....

never ending cycle.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

I nearly fell into that. I am a student on a budget, so i have to think of my goals and how to reach them in an affordable way. However, it is easy to limit your growth if u dont think long term. I nearly pulled the trigger on 3 or 4 different ideas already. I pulled my head out of my rectum just in time and gathered myself. As hard as it is to resist the roaring motor and smell of smoking tires, i have to go into this with a clear plan and stick to it.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

If you really want something for the long term, and do decide you still want to deal with all that's involved in an LS2/LS3 swap, I'd go LS3 by far. It's got a much bigger bore from the factory (4.06" vs 4.00"), so if you build a stroker out of it, you'll get more ci ultimately. Not to mention much better heads too. You have to be more careful selecting a good cam for these motors, but with the right one, you'll be making BIG power. As it was stated above, these motors make awesome power stock and only get better. Keep in mind FAST is supposed to making an intake for the L92/L76 setup (which the LS3 has), so when you get bored with the power it makes in stock/near-stock form, there's definitely going to be some options.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
LS3. If you look at the corvette forum, the 2008s are getting 385-390 rwhp stock and 430-440 w/ bolt ons. With just a cam (w/ bolt ons) they are getting over 500 rwhp. They have a little more CI than an LS2 and have L92 heads. On top of that, in stock form they run regular gas.
Yup, low compression with highly efficient heads and intake make the LS3 a monster. I just did the bolt-ons and it really woke up the motor! I'll be heading to the dyno in Thursday to get a number. I saw a guy with the same mods as me and no tune make 419rwhp and 423rwtq.

Great motor!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landonew
Then you should probably do what all the other 18 year olds do and get a lid
Whats a lid?

And thanks for the replies and not bashing me on this. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about engines before I get the car and do whatever I'm going to do to it.

I'm planning to save around 5-10k for a new engine (I'm going to buy a high mile LS1 Camaro).

I think I'll look for a pre-built (long block, I reckon) Stroker LS3. How much will that *most likely* run? (Since they aren't for sale yet, as far as I know) From what I know, a Stroker will spoil turbos faster, correct?

And also, is it really true that Nitrous will blow an engine really quick, regardless of the amount used (100, 150 200 shot) or the time (5 secs, 10 secs, 15 secs)? Because I keep getting told it will and I want to add a system (not really for use but just to have one =P)

And I already know this car will be raced. And yeah, I know I'm 18, but I've raced before, I used to race Motorcross and my dad raced in IHRA. So I'm going to be looking to shave my 1/4 time down. I've already got a list of mods and the priority, unfortunately it changes daily.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whats a lid?
It's about 2 fingers worth of pot as measured in a sandwich bag.

In this case, it refers to an air lid.

You need to hop back into the Gen III internal engine and external engine sections and start reading. Start with the FAQ stickies. Then pop over into the nitrous forum and repeat.

Also, do you plan to pump 500+ HP through a drivetrain with 100,000+ miles?
Slow down your plans, and be realistic.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Some people are just convinced that nitrous is always bad. You can spray safely. Just make sure it is installed properly with enough fuel to support it, make sure you only spray what your motor can handle (in this case, 100 - 150 MAX), and get the necessary safety parts, like the window switch, which will allow you to control where it kicks in and shuts off in terms of RPM, so that way you won't spray through shifts, messing up your tranny, or spray into redline.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an 02 ss and I've looked into an engine swap a little bit over the past year. Going from an LS1 to an LS2 or LS3 should drop right in physically. I am pretty sure the external dimensions and bolt holes are all the same, least that's what I've read. I don't know though if the intake height dimension and larger throttle body would cause a clearance problem with the hood.

All the work seems to be in
- getting the original (or new) computer to run the engine.
- getting the gas pedal to throttle body connected; the ls1 has a cable, the LS2 and LS3 are electronic throttle by wire. I think there are some vendors selling a installation kit for this, but I haven't looked in a while.

last i checked an LS2 crate was around $7k.

anybody know the current crate price of an LS3, if it is available?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS3's come out this spring... at least thats what I could find. Check GMPP for updates.

But I heard there's a few parts different between the LS1 Camaro and the LS2 GTO, like some kind of "pan" and a few minor parts.

But I have another question. When you drop in a new engine, is it possible to swap the speedo for a new one so you can restart at 0 miles? Or do you have to constantly add?

Quick Reply: LS3 vs LS2