Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9
View Poll Results: Can you put a power adder on an L92 427??
yes
50.00%
no
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

So witch is it... Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So whi is it... Yes or no?

I have talked with a few people about the EL Toro 427 block, some say yes you can have a power adder on it, and some say hell no..

Can you or can't you.

Lane

Last edited by crazylane; 03-17-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

I believe it is a L92 block and on the 427 application, the wrist pin placement is higher for adequate piston stability at bottom-dead-center. Due to the high wrist pin placement, leaving you with the ring lands placement higher on the piston and with less material on the lands themselves so a thinner ring setup is required. This does not give you much of a margin for error with a power adder.

If you want peace of mind the recommendation is no power adder on the 427, build a 418 for a FI or big nitrous application.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh, why not call the vendor (who can give you the correct answer)* & ask, instead of taking your chances with info from people you don't know???

* (Not a slam against the info that Azrael provided)
Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

This is straight from SDPC,

Re: Power adder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why wouldn't you be able to? It's forged. I wouldn't run a TON of boost, simply because it isn't low compression, but it's a strong engine and can definitly hande some boost

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
And just like you said Azreal, I heard that from two other vendors as well. Thats why I am trying to figure everything out...

Not trying to jump on peoples toes, so please don't take it like that. I am just trying to learn as much as I can about a set up I am thinking of getting.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Which is it, not "witch"

and you can do it, but is it safe is the question..
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazylane
This is straight from SDPC...
Ahh, that makes sense. All too often, you see people asking questions on msg boards that really should be addressed to the people who know instead.

Sorry that I lumped you into that group... <- (That's for me, for jumping to conclusions...)
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

How much boost are you planning to run? Azrael is correct in his post, but it would be better if we knew what your overall intentions are with the engine. You're not going to run much boost on an 11:1 compression engine regardless. If you plan on more than that, let us quote you a lower compression build

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Okay.

See there is a local guy to me, that is selling a long block from you guys, and yes it is high compression, But can the heads and gaskets be changed to lower that compression?

Its a smokin deal on the engine, I really don't want to pass it up, IF I can use it. I plan on going turbo next winter, so I am right now looking for a different engine.

lol LSGun thanks for showing me how bad my grammar is. Im not an english major.. ha ha. j/k
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazylane
Okay.

See there is a local guy to me, that is selling a long block from you guys, and yes it is high compression, But can the heads and gaskets be changed to lower that compression?

Its a smokin deal on the engine, I really don't want to pass it up, IF I can use it. I plan on going turbo next winter, so I am right now looking for a different engine.

lol LSGun thanks for showing me how bad my grammar is. Im not an english major.. ha ha. j/k
Heads and head gasket can ALWAYS change compression. At least that is my understanding. Just need thicker gasket and larger combustion chamber.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

On alcohol 11:1 is a low compression engine. I'm sure a 100 shot or 6 psig boost with methanol injection would be within reason.

Quick Reply: So witch is it... Yes or no?