Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 timing set and cam retainer questions (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LS2 timing set and cam retainer questions (Pics)

So I've got a brand new 402 with a Eagle crankshaft and a LS2 timing set that needs to be installed. I've never messed with the crank gear before. Does the stock crank have a key too? I'm guessing I need a key for my new stuff right? Also it turns out that the 2 holes just above the crank is for a chain damper. Is that needed?

Heres a pic of my motor.

Here's the chain damper i'm talking about.

Now about the dots on the gears, I can see the dot on the cam gear, but the damn crank gear doesn't have anything as far as I can see. Is the "dot" where the key goes?

Lastly, I don't have a cam retainer plate or the bolts so I need to order them. It looks like there is a gasket for it too. Does that come with the new plate or is it separate?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock crank has a key that engages and aligns the crankshaft timing gear. Order one from the dealer if you don't have one.

The timing chain damper is highly recommended. It's very cheap for the LS2.

There is a dot on the crankshaft timing gear, it's just very small.

The o-ring on the back of the cam retainer plate is made into the plate, it doesn't come off.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Gotta love this site, thanks man!

I searched earlier on the crank key and a question came up about sizes and stuff. Is the crank key is the same for these motors. I'm probably going to call TSP in the morning for all this so they should know. I need a lot of miscellaneous bolts and parts!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Gotta love this site, thanks man!

I searched earlier on the crank key and a question came up about sizes and stuff. Is the crank key is the same for these motors. I'm probably going to call TSP in the morning for all this so they should know. I need a lot of miscellaneous bolts and parts!
I'm pretty sure the crankshaft key is the same for Gen III and Gen IV motors, I'm sure TSP will be able to help you out.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take note, the new cam retainer plate has countersunk holes and requires special GM bolts so don't waste money an ARP's, you won't be able to use them with the new plate. My information is also that the torque reduces from 18 to 11 lb-ft with the new plate as it is the same as the L92.

Read this for more information: Link

Here is information I found on the torque values: Link
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Take note, the new cam retainer plate has countersunk holes and requires special GM bolts so don't waste money an ARP's, you won't be able to use them with the new plate. My information is also that the torque reduces from 18 to 11 lb-ft with the new plate as it is the same as the L92.

Yea man, I searched up all this stuff and saw your posts. Seems like you've been through all my problems so far. Might want to expects some PM from me! Thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to use thread-lok on the cam bolts. The guy who installed my heads & cam or his helper forgot which trashed my last engine. It bent all the valves, cam-shaft, rollars, rollar guides, timing cover, timing chain, oil pump & more. Spend some money on thread-lok for sure. Just a heads up of what can happen over just a simple step skipped. LOL
Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crank sprocket dot is located on one of the teeth I believe.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts

Just for my reference and maybe to help clear it up for others..if I use my ls1 plate & bolts on a l92 or ls2 will there be any sort of interferences problems?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can't answer that, but the new plate with the countersunk screws was introduced to clear something on later motors. Matt at SDPC was very helpful sorting this all out for me when most dealers and parts houses were telling me to use the old bolts, which I knew was wrong. You may want to contact Matt with your question. Report back what you find, this will make a great archive as I think a lot of guys will run into this in the future.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

My retainer plate was broken when we swapped my first cam into it. We believed the factory had over tightened the bolts and the plate is weaker due to the countersunk holes. Mine wasn't the only one there has been lots of reports of the same issue in others cars as well.

cheers
Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Crap, that's not good. I know the torque is lower. If there are other cases, I may not use it.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

can the stock plate and bolts be used with a LS2 timing set? or does the L92 plate with flush bolts have to be used?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jed.only
can the stock plate and bolts be used with a LS2 timing set? or does the L92 plate with flush bolts have to be used?
The L92 cam retainer plate has counter sunk bolts to clear the variable cam timing cam phaser on these engines. You can use the old or new cam plate with the an LS1/2/6 engine.

The counter sunk plate is designed to clear this:

Old 04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

So it looks like GM in their wisdom didn't want 2 different plates floating around so they just decided to use the same plate for all future models. The old plate has now been superceded for all models I believe. So a new plate will probably be another change whilst your at it thing to do when swapping cams.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good pics here of the dot and crank key etc

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/906024-quick-ls2-timing-set-dot-dot-pics.html
Old 04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS Enforcer
So it looks like GM in their wisdom didn't want 2 different plates floating around so they just decided to use the same plate for all future models. The old plate has now been superceded for all models I believe. So a new plate will probably be another change whilst your at it thing to do when swapping cams.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300
Good pics here of the dot and crank key etc

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906024
They are good aren't they! They are my pics. I had ordered my stuff, got it Friday and put most of it together today.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A

Now about the dots on the gears, I can see the dot on the cam gear, but the damn crank gear doesn't have anything as far as I can see. Is the "dot" where the key goes?
The oil pump sprocket in the pic is hiding the dot on the cam gear. The crank key should like up with the bore of cylinder 1, and the dot will be straight up.

Quick Reply: LS2 timing set and cam retainer questions (Pics)