Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Mod the ls1 or get the 408

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mod the ls1 or get the 408

Should I just mod my LS1 which I am currently replacing the head gaskets in, or should i fork up the 4,000$ and supporting parts for an 402 or 408 shortblock with some decent heads and cam. I think my 2002 ls1 is a lemon lol been in shop off and on for about 7 months now. I really want to keep the engine and mod it in order to learn about making power in combinations before I step up to the big toys but if it keeps failing me I'd rather get rid of it. Also was sold the wrong head gaskets lol this car is beautiful trans am but justa pain. thanks guys
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a budget question. The short block is only part of the cost. How happy are you going to be with putting oem ls heads on your new 408 and making ok power Dont get me wrong it will be respectable but some people like to see big numbers when they spend money but building a fast powerful car comes in steps. The engine is only the tip of the iceberg.

A forged botton end is a great foundation just as long as you understand its the foundation and not the living space. My 408 cost 4242 plus freight or using Eagle $3992. There are some for less money but not enough less to be able to throw heads on it. What about a cam and then spring upgrade to your oem heads to go with the cam. Cost start to add up quickly when you swap engines.

If 4k is your budget and you dont mind waiting and understand the steps to making big power and a fast car then a 408 is a good way to go. You'll be in the 400's with tq and hp until you complete the setup and it should be faily stout.

If you drop that 4k on mods that makes sense for a 346 then you might need to sell some of it when you get the 408 to maximize the 408. Just depends on where you want to be with the car. You can learn with a 408 as easily as a 346.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh, Go H/C first. Just pick up a respectable set of heads (AFR, Trick-flows, ETPs) and you can slap them on the 408 when it comes.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landonew
Ahhh, Go H/C first. Just pick up a respectable set of heads (AFR, Trick-flows, ETPs) and you can slap them on the 408 when it comes.
Agreed.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
Heads and cam maximized for a 346 are not the same for a 408. Have a goal and plan and the patience to follow it through and you'll spend less money in the long run. If all you want is a h/c 346 then 4k will get you the best you can do for that cid. If your looking down the road to bigger and better things then re-think the h/c decision. You dont build a house from the top down.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Heads and cam maximized for a 346 are not the same for a 408. Have a goal and plan and the patience to follow it through and you'll spend less money in the long run. If all you want is a h/c 346 then 4k will get you the best you can do for that cid. If your looking down the road to bigger and better things then re-think the h/c decision. You dont build a house from the top down.
Very true.

If you plan on doing a 408 for sure and you have to spend the money now, buy a rearend and upgrade the suspension or just save the money for later.....