Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New Engine Combo

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Engine Combo

I know you all get this question all the time but mine is legit. My car was totaled in feb. 07 by an elderly lady who ran a stop sign. With that being said I have decided to build another 4th gen rather than wait for the new camaro with god only knows what engines will be available the first year. There are so many new options these days with ls2s, l92s, etc. etc. With a budget of 10k for the motor, what engine combo do you all think for a n/a weekend street,track car ? Most likely I will build another m6 as I truly love to row the gears!! This will just be a fun car, not a DD. I do want a nasty bitch!! SLP 402 maybe? Maybe a 427 l92? Any factory intakes that can support 500rwhp? I do want an injected motor. Ideas???

Paul
Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

If it was me LME 408.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
Thanks for your input!
Sucks your car was totaled, but you got a great attitude in building another car! I was in a similar situation and here is what I did:

Purchased a 2002 camaro ss convertible, rather than perform a full engine swap I installed a procharger D1SC (intercooler with 8 rib belt). Upgraded the fuel system to 60lbs injectors, new fuel pump, kooks 17/8, magnaflow catback, new textrella clutch. After spending about 10k, car produced over 560 rwhp.

I am in the same boat, wanted a weekend driver that was a blast to drive. Now after 1.5 years, looking to get the car in shape for road racing. Will probably look to Katech to help prep the car as they have done a great job with the corvette team.

Best of luck!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well with your budget you can build a killer 408 turn key basicaly. Or you could do a sleeved ls2 for any number of different combos or use an ls3 block. If your going to stay N/a you can do any number of things up to a 457. The 457 would be a monster... 4.135 bore with a 4.250 stroke

The ls7 intake works well and there are some killer ls7 style heads out there as well.

The 457 would be the top end of your budget for a long block.

What are your HP goals?

Iron block is cheaper than aluminum and weighs 75 lbs more
Old 05-10-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This guy did 510/470 very mild build using an L92/L76 403. He'll get more RWHP/RWT when a new manifold comes out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/662314-l92-dynojet-numbers-plus-plan-b-c-d-e-f.html
Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

^^^^^That is also a more expensive build. You can hit those same power levels for less money with a 408. Richard at WCCH L92's look to be an excellent choice, when the intakes catch up to the heads it might be the best bargain for power.

But with that 10k you also want to look at the rest of the car. Wont do any good if you cant put the power to the ground. PM me if you want and we can look at the hole picture and come up with a game plan that makes sense. No need to stuff that 10k just into the engine unless you've got the budget to finish the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great info from all! You can see from my sig I'm not new to the game, just new to the possible engine combos. I'm really just trying to figure out what shortblock to get, and what intake to use. Ive always been scared off by forced induction having seen so many LS1s with non- performing turbos/superchargers which I believe was probably due to improper combos and poor tuning. I just want a large cube (402) or more n/a motor that can make an honest 500rwhp and trap 124 or better with a 3400lb raceweight. I see S/D has a 427 L92 motor that sounds tempting, but is there a factory , or available after market intake that can feed it properly?
Paul
Old 05-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

No is the short answer. They are supposed to be coming out but arent here yet and you know how that goes.

The head and cam choice is one thing, the short block another. The smaller the cubes the more work to get the hp. If the 75lbs is not an issue for you I would go with my 408 and put the rest of your money into the heads and valvetrain (where the power is really made to begin with). OR if you want aluminum we do a 402 for $350 more. (cost difference of the block) the ls3 is even more. We're talking about a 4.030 bore to a 4.070 bore from the 408 to the 416 LS3. Potential is for the bigger bore to make more HP but if there isnt an intake to handle it then it isnt happening. It needs to breath.

$4292 plus freight for a 408 with Callies internals and wiseco pistons, add $350 is you want a LS2 402 add about $700 if you want a LS3 416. Thats the basic breakdown in pricing. The block is the difference in cost. You can save on my motor by going with Eagle instead of Callies as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't be scared off by supercharging, but you hit the issue right on the head; a quality install and tune is key and most of the LS1 Tech sponsors do a fine job (before my build I researched about 80% of the sponsors which took about 3 months).

Regardless if you go with a power added or an engine swap - you will need a quality install and tune unless you happen to be tallented ones that can do the job yourself.

The 408 sounds nice! Plus, you will still have room to grow, which is key. This may sound stupid - but if you aim for 500 rwhp you will get use to the power after some time and you will begin to want more.

As for the intake question, I thought the new wilson intake could work well with this combo?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great info! In the short time I have been researching a new combo it does seem the intakes are the limiting factor! Is there any REAL time lines on when an aftermarket intake to support these motors will be available? A few months? A year?
Paul
Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, I forgot to add some links in my previous post. Hopefully this info is helpful:

If money is no object, take a look at this option:
http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/...uct_detail&p=8

Second option, still a bit high but not as pricey:
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=472

Third option, good old fashon LS7 intake - which works very well for the power you are looking for (still not cheap):
http://www.sdparts.com/product/12568...dAssembly.aspx
Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

All depends on what heads you put on top of the engines to what intake your going to run. If your running ls7 heads then you need an ls7 intake. Some heads have limiting factors on the intake you can use right now.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by will01
Sorry, I forgot to add some links in my previous post. Hopefully this info is helpful:

If money is no object, take a look at this option:
http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/...uct_detail&p=8

Second option, still a bit high but not as pricey:
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=472

Third option, good old fashon LS7 intake - which works very well for the power you are looking for (still not cheap):
http://www.sdparts.com/product/12568...dAssembly.aspx
Thanks a lot for the links! Wow wilsons piece is awesome but the price is out of my league! It seems the L92 heads are the best bang for the buck. 350 cfm straight out of the box. With that being said do you think the LS7 manifold would support it?
Paul
Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned

See thats the problem....... Posting up link to all kinds of intakes is nice but not helping you. In order to use the heads your talking about you need to use the correct intake. L92/L76.. Thats what I've been talking about..... limited by the intake... I knew you wanted the L92 heads but in order to use them you use the l92/l76 intake until the aftermarket ones catch up.. supposed to be this summer? not sure and they never get released when they say..LOL

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/572416-l92-l76-intake-photos.html
Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe you need ls7 heads for the ls7 intake (I think 99blancoss stated that as well).

But here is another option from SLP:
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12229

I remember one of the popular mags doing a full test of the L92 set-up and the results were very promising; especially on the stroked motors.

Here is a quality set of heads that would work well with the 408 combo:
https://www.patriot-performance.com/...5&bestseller=Y

Another engine combination to consider:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/903040-6-0l-gm-engines-l92-cylinder-heads.html

You can easily spend $3,000 to $8,000 on heads, intake and throttle body; but the question you need to ask yourself is "what do I want the car to do"?

If you will be crusing the streets with an occasional night at the track - these options should work pretty well - even the stock LS2 and LS3 set-ups work well ( with my supercharger, other mods and the stock LS1 intake & throttle body - my car is pushing over 550 at the rear).

If you are looking to be a contender at the local qtr mile, then you may want to look at the high end set-ups (AFR, wilson intake, etc) as good amount of your power is made in the top end of the motor.

500 rwhp (assuming you have a good rear that can convert all the hp to 480+ tq) is a lot of fun and you will pretty much pound most cars you run up on.

Tons of options and you are in one of the best parts of the project - researching all of the possibilities!