Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What to expect from a Carbed 454 LSX.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect from a Carbed 454 LSX.

Hey Guys,

I'm getting Erik Koenig to build my engine. It will be a 454 LSX Carby. LSW Heads, Jesel Rockers, All the fruit.

I speak to Erik as much as I can and anyone that knows or speaks to him would realise he's busy so I don't waste his time with stupid questions.

I have completley decided but i was thinking of the above combo, what should i expect from it. It will be a daily driver so a Hydraulic cam that Erik will spec. something streetable but still near stalling at the lights.

Whats everyones opinions on Quad Webers on top of this engine? Please no comments about looks, fuel, non efi, etc. please comment about driveabilty, reliabilty, power, ease of fitting Quad Webers?

This will be a no cost cutting build only the best will be used. Nothing to over the top. I Live in Australia, will be shipping her over, so want to get it right the first time.

Can anyone post any 454 Dyno's, or even 440 or similar builds, I would be very keen to see what everyone else is running and getting.

Thanks

Scott.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=5&pp=20
check out this thread, for what your minimum power will be. I am sure well set up carbs will be more. I'm surprised more people arn't going with multiple throttle setups on these engines, with the big valves and ports on the L92 heads the intake seems to be a big limitation. I am considering a 440Cu in LS7 based engine with L92 or LS7 heads and a custom intake with 8 single throttle bodies on a home grown manifold. I bet it will be killer. I would go with injection from the standpoint of drivability and economy. But if you want carbs, it will still be mental. what car is it going in?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Its Funny I was just look at ITB's and man are they Sexy. Engines going in a 73 Holden HQ Sedan. I'd be happy with 600RWHP. . Can't wait to get it started. I think Erik is going to put out some solid numbers with my engine.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilscottie
Hey Guys,

I'm getting Erik Koenig to build my engine. It will be a 454 LSX Carby. LSW Heads, Jesel Rockers, All the fruit.

I speak to Erik as much as I can and anyone that knows or speaks to him would realise he's busy so I don't waste his time with stupid questions.

I have completley decided but i was thinking of the above combo, what should i expect from it. It will be a daily driver so a Hydraulic cam that Erik will spec. something streetable but still near stalling at the lights.

Whats everyones opinions on Quad Webers on top of this engine? Please no comments about looks, fuel, non efi, etc. please comment about driveabilty, reliabilty, power, ease of fitting Quad Webers?

This will be a no cost cutting build only the best will be used. Nothing to over the top. I Live in Australia, will be shipping her over, so want to get it right the first time.

Can anyone post any 454 Dyno's, or even 440 or similar builds, I would be very keen to see what everyone else is running and getting.

Thanks

Scott.
What are LSW heads? What do they flow? I wouldn't put anything less than hogged out LS7's on that motor.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by needadvice
What are LSW heads? What do they flow? I wouldn't put anything less than hogged out LS7's on that motor.

http://www.proheads.com/WCCH%20All%20pro%20head.html

From Richard at WCCH. Flow 410@.750". 6 Bolt Heads.

Veryyyyy Nice looking heads.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Scott.
Scott, Erik is an up-front guy. If you plan to use him to build you an engine ASK HIM what he suggests and what you can expect to get for power and torque. He knows a hell of a lot more about it than most people around here.

FWIW, most engine builders worth a poop don't take kindly to "internet polls" or "opinions" of what should work for your engine. I know some who wouldn't even quote you if you used "everyone's opinions" on stuff like carburetion, cams, etc.

Scott, talk with Erik and forget the stuff you read here (while except for my stuff, of course. ). You are making a good choice with Erik, now let him do that voodoo he do.

Good Luck.

Jon
Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.proheads.com/WCCH%20All%20pro%20head.html

From Richard at WCCH. Flow 410@.750". 6 Bolt Heads.

Veryyyyy Nice looking heads.
How much do these heads cost complete ready to install?

Ported LS7's flow better all the way up. ~400 @ .650 lift and I've heard of some porters getting the exhaust flow in the 270's @ .650 lift.

You're not going .750 lift for a streetable car are you? I was told by a few builders I was nuts to do anything approaching .700 for street use and to NOT expect it to last very long above .700. Not saying its gonna last only 5,000 miles, but not much more than that. Something about high spring pressures wearing out the lifters...something like that.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 PM

I would like to know what your combination is as am looking to build a similar engine as my current 362 23-degree sbc can not keep up with 23-degree bbc's I am running. My current limitations for the class I am looking at are stock heads which I plan on CNC ported LS7's on a 454 LSX if not bigger with downswept headers (will have to have custom made) and need to pull 14 " vacuum at 1000rpm. I do turn 7800rpm now turning 4.56's and 40's and run 14.5 compression. By looking at the hydraulic and solid rollers that are out for the LS motors, they are in the 112-114 range which help vacuum as will gapless rings. This is in a mud racing 4x4 truck which I have got down to 2970lbs. I haven't found much for dome pistons but not that familar with the newer gen III or IV sbc yet as I am with the gen I but the rwhp you guys are making can not be done with a gen I sbc so could use your help. Thanks

Quick Reply: What to expect from a Carbed 454 LSX.