Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How to narrow down oil burning

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to narrow down oil burning

I put a torquer v3 cam in about 2000 miles ago, car burns a lot of oil.

I put in a pcv catch can from elite engineering. It catches some oil but the car is still burning oil. I dont believe it is anything to do with the pistons because car runs like a champ still.

I changed the cam, oil pump, timing chain, springs, pushrods, valve seals, retainers, etc.

I believe next thing would be seals, is there an easy way to check that they are good?

Btw, does it hurt anything to burn oil or can i just let it be?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

There is no easy way to check if the valve seals are ok unless you pull the heads off. Burning oil is not a direct correlation to bad valve seals or a poorly performing car, unless it really feels like a complete slug. I would do a compression test first to ensure that the ring seal is ok. If the sealing is ok, look to the valve seals or PCV system. Please note that modified engines with much more CI of internal displacement will not use oil like STOCK engines. I would gladly pay for a quart of oil, synthetic of mineral oil,
for a 200hp tradeoff! If the rings were not sealed correctly of course.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

I dont mind the oil burning as long as it doesnt hurt anything. Say the rings are good and so are the seals, will i hurt anything by burning some oil? Can o2 sensors deals with oil?

Btw, i pulled my tr-55's that went in with cam and they were not fouled so i think thats a good sign.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I dont mind the oil burning as long as it doesnt hurt anything. Say the rings are good and so are the seals, will i hurt anything by burning some oil? Can o2 sensors deals with oil?

Btw, i pulled my tr-55's that went in with cam and they were not fouled so i think thats a good sign.
Burning oil will not hurt the internals of the engine. It's not good for the wallet, but my 1981 Eldorado has been burning a quart of oil every 200 miles since I bought it 7 months ago. However, it is still running very well! Burning oil does not hurt the engine at all, it is just an indicator that either the rings, valve seals, or PCV system needs to be looked at or replaced. In my case with the Eldo, I know its the PCV system as well as the rings, but it's a non issue as long as the oil level is topped off. As far as our LS1's, I would look to your PCV because before I had put my TR224 cam and LS2 casting heads on, my stock pcv was sucking up so much oil, it was unbelievable. Breathers and catch cans do wonders for our engines due to the high internal vacuum.

Last edited by TopFlite; 05-31-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the hose after the catch can and see if its wet.
oil in the combustion chamber can cause detonation.
An easy way to check the valve seals is to pull the intake or header and look in the port. If they are really bad you will see oil around the guide.
pic of mine with bad seals/guides
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

does it puff a cloud of white smoke on start up?
do a leakdown test of all cylinders and go from there.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is another pic with the header off.
You can take a look inside to see if any of your exhaust seals are leaking. It would be more likely that the exhaust side is leaking rather than the intake.

If I were you, I would look strongly at your PCV system for clues. This is the easiest and probably more likely the case. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails How to narrow down oil burning-img_0333.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 AM
11 Second Club

PCV system has the elite engineering catch can which is supposed to be one of the best. I think i changed the valve when i got the car like 4k miles ago.

I dont get a big puff on startup. Just a small steady amount almost all the time. Car runs excellent.

I recently changed spark plugs for nitrous and pulled my old ones. All looked normal, and the same. I would think that if it was a specific cylinder, that one would definately be discolored.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 06-02-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TopFlite
Burning oil will not hurt the internals of the engine. It's not good for the wallet, but my 1981 Eldorado has been burning a quart of oil every 200 miles since I bought it 7 months ago. However, it is still running very well! Burning oil does not hurt the engine at all, it is just an indicator that either the rings, valve seals, or PCV system needs to be looked at or replaced. In my case with the Eldo, I know its the PCV system as well as the rings, but it's a non issue as long as the oil level is topped off. As far as our LS1's, I would look to your PCV because before I had put my TR224 cam and LS2 casting heads on, my stock pcv was sucking up so much oil, it was unbelievable. Breathers and catch cans do wonders for our engines due to the high internal vacuum.
Hi
I disagree - it coats the plugs and causes a large carbon build up in the combustion chamber. The car will run ok but what you can’t see will hurt you.
Thanks
Bill
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

The plugs can be changed. Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber can be seafoamed out. The engine is not hurt after these two things happen. The cycle will continue and oil will be burned. That is all.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Guys, Oil dilutes the octane rating of the fuel. It isn't just a few points either.
So if you have oil in the combustion process it can detonate and tear up parts.

Robin
Old 06-03-2008, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robin L
Guys, Oil dilutes the octane rating of the fuel. It isn't just a few points either.

Robin
\

This might be a problem when im using spray. :-x
Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robin L

Robin
Hi Folks
Totally agree with Robin - also remember carbon build up by itself can also cause detonation and we all know happens when that occurs. It does not take long for carbon to build up once you have oil and gas being consumed. You would need to have seaform in the gas tank on every fill up.
thanks
Bill
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Ok i checked my pcv catchcan. It looks like in about 500 miles, it caught a teaspoon amount of oil. So there is oil going through the pcv. Can i count on the elite engineering pcv can to catch it all? I wonder if this is my problem or not.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my catchcan doesn't get all the oil

Quick Reply: How to narrow down oil burning