Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What's required to swap a 6.2L (stroked shortblock) into a 98 Z28????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's required to swap a 6.2L (stroked shortblock) into a 98 Z28????

Ok guys!
I have a question, but first.... I recently purchased a 98 Z28 from a friend with a Blown motor. I have had the car for 3 weeks and have just purchased a LS1 from a friend of mine with 56K miles on it for a VERY good price. I am going to be running this motor while I build another motor for my project.

I was thinking of going with a 6.2L 381 CID engine, but Stroked to 400+ CI's!

I was talking to my engine builder and he said that he doesn't know much about what I'd need to do in order to swap the 6.2L motor into my car, although he can build the engine with no problem.
So....

I need to know what all I would have to do to swap a 6.2L engine from a 2007 Cadillac Escalade into my 98 Z28. My plans include stroking the shortblock to 400+ cubic inches and going with a TSP h/c package and then install the engine into my Z28 before next summer. What do you guys think of the swap? And most of all, how much work is this going to require?
The labor is fine since I'll be doing it, but as far as the re-wiring and parts I'll need to reuse and etc, I dunno- ANY HELP- will help me alot.

I Just need to know what I'm looking at having to use & do to get the engine to work in my car!

THANK YOU for any responses I might get!

James
Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007

I was thinking of going with a 6.2L 381 CID engine, but Stroked to 400+ CI's!

I was talking to my engine builder and he said that he doesn't know much about what I'd need to do in order to swap the 6.2L motor into my car, although he can build the engine with no problem.
Look at the stickies for help as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/499059-ls3-l92-info.html

If your mech can build it no "problem" he should know what it takes to swap it into your car as well. BUT the stickies should get you going. Read up on what "stroking" an engine is too. To add a 4" stroke to the l92 would make it a 416 provide your mechanic cleans up the bore.

Use the search button, it really is your friend, you can find answers to everything you asked.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-10-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into the stickies. And try a search. Just kinda hard to search through all of the BS You know.

And as far as my engine builder (a friend of mine) He knows how to build them, but as far as doing swaps, he doesn't know what all is required to complete the swap. He just builds engines he doesn't work at a speed shop or do swaps or installs. He just does the engine building. He's a retired guy that has built engines Almost ALL of his life (Since his mid 20's). He has built 3 engines for me and over 20 different engines for friends of mine, and we've yet to have ANY issues with ANY of his engines.
Thanks Again...

James
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS2 timing cover
early LS2 cam gear
timing chain guide
LS2 valley cover
L76 intake
LS1/6/2 3 bolt cam
cable driven 90mm tb
either injector spacers or new injectors with plug adapters
relocate knock sensors to the side of the block
map sensor harness extension
LS1/6 oil pump (l92 has high volume pump) or change the spring in the L92 pump
the early L92s have to have the lifters and lifter trays changed
24x reluctor wheel

I'm looking into this swap myself.

Quick Reply: What's required to swap a 6.2L (stroked shortblock) into a 98 Z28????