Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need to overbore LS7 - is it disaster as I have Vortech blower as well?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to overbore LS7 - is it disaster as I have Vortech blower as well?

Well, my tuner almost blew my LS7-based engine and unfortunately one of the cylinders was damaged. So I need to overbore the block and use new forged pistons. I read somewhere that GM limits the overbore to 0.020, but I don't know if there are any forged blower pistons available at that size. I was able to find out Diamond pistons from Texas-speed, but they are only .005 over at 4.130 and if you look the pic below, that might not be enough.

Forum vendors, feel free to propose new pistons. And other comments are also welcome.

I guess new Darton sleeves would be the ideal way to go, but it's bit pricey to send the block from Europe to U.S.

Here's the rest of the story:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/932152-melted-6-spark-plugs-what-would-you-do.html
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sleeves

Yes, it would be expensive. However if you do decide to go that route, Steve @ Race Engine Development does great work. He has worked with Darton on the development of the sleeves for the LS series blocks.

There are also other shops who are doing good sleeve work now.

Good Luck.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Well, my tuner almost blew my LS7-based engine and unfortunately one of the cylinders was damaged. So I need to overbore the block and use new forged pistons. I read somewhere that GM limits the overbore to 0.020, but I don't know if there are any forged blower pistons available at that size. I was able to find out Diamond pistons from Texas-speed, but they are only .005 over at 4.130 and if you look the pic below, that might not be enough.

Forum vendors, feel free to propose new pistons. And other comments are also welcome.

I guess new Darton sleeves would be the ideal way to go, but it's bit pricey to send the block from Europe to U.S.

Here's the rest of the story:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932152
I wold contact Diamond or Wiseco directly and ask about a custom piston.

First I would find out if the overbore will fix the problem though....

Sucks for you man, I feel for you....
Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Those scratches are not that big a deal. Before you spend a lot of money I would put the heads back on and run it. Get the tune figured out and put a few miles on the car. Then if you have issues you can change pistons.

We see a lot worse on some of our race engines and they run just fine.

Listen to Harlen over in your other post.

Good luck!

Robin
Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Teching In

I was just same problem year ago there Finland. I measure bore and appraise that scratch deep and then order oversize pistons from Lingenfelter (made by mahle). Next i carry block and all moving parts to Lahden Kansityö, Lahti, Finland, Europe and they drill pistons made instruction (looseness) and balance all parts.

Luck to project ...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

The best thing to do would be to take it to a machine shop and see what it takes to bring the scratches out. It could be .005 or it could be .020, hard to tell from pictures.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Don't waste your time with using the stock sleeves on a blower assembly. It's best to take the time to prepare, because the $ you spend now on even an overbore will make those sleeves razor thin, and if you scratched them now, think about what will happen if your tuner goes too lean, or your sleeves just cant hold up to the boost.

Get a good re-sleeve and call it save measures. Think about ordering the sleeves and having a shop do it for you there. Might be a better deal for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Don't waste your time with using the stock sleeves on a blower assembly. It's best to take the time to prepare, because the $ you spend now on even an overbore will make those sleeves razor thin, and if you scratched them now, think about what will happen if your tuner goes too lean, or your sleeves just cant hold up to the boost.

Get a good re-sleeve and call it save measures. Think about ordering the sleeves and having a shop do it for you there. Might be a better deal for you.
I wonder how expensive it is to re-sleeve one of these blocks?

I also wonder if a .010 overbore would stress stock sleeves for a forced induction set-up?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrown84

+1 , do some reasearch on LS7's and their sleeves.

Quick Reply: Need to overbore LS7 - is it disaster as I have Vortech blower as well?