Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Camaro SS LT1 Accessory Drive on L83...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Camaro SS LT1 Accessory Drive on L83...

Hey there,

I'm new to the forums and I'm currently swapping the 16+ CTS-V/Camaro LT4 oil pan onto my 2014 L83 and I was curious about swapping the accessory drive (excluding AC and deleting the vacuum pump) from a 2016+ Camaro SS LT1.

As seen here:
http://gmpowertrain.com/2016_images/...L-(S)-HiR2.jpg

I like the low mounting of the Alt and the OEM catch Oil Air separator (I have the pan why wouldn't I use it? haha). It's eventually going to go into a 70's Datsun Z with a TR6060.

Also, would an ATI LT1/4 Serpentine Damper for the Camaro (UD #918857) work on my 5.3l L83? I know that the 5.3 and 6.2 use the same #918645 ATI Damper recommended to me by ATI.

I tried searching and couldn't find a concise answer, some said that the L83 had a different block from the L86/LT1/LT4, and so on. Hence my hesitation to just go ahead and buy the parts and try to see how it works out.

Thanks! Sorry if I've missed it in the posts, also I'm pretty new to this stuff so be easy on me
-peter
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The external block of the 5.3 L83 is identical to the L86 and LT1. The water pumps for the truck and cars are different, as I'm sure you already noticed. I take it you have everything from the car, including the water pump. It will work nicely. Be very careful when you bolt anything, specially to the heads. Some of the head inner walls are extremely thin and if you use a bolt that is just a bit too long it can brake the thin alluminum. I had this happened to me last week. The small chunk of alluminum went down into the block and destroyed all my bearings. It also cause two of the active fuel management lifters to seize in their bores, causing the destruction of the Cam and 2 lifters. Use a long skinny screwdriver to check length of the bolt need (if it is not the exact same screw for the exact block hold as the factory designed) I can't believe something so little has caused so much damage.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Thank you mzrico! That's what I thought, but it's great to know for certain!

I don't have the parts yet, just the pan, merely trying to sort everything out before I buy anything. Thank you very much for the screw driver tip as well, so sorry to hear about your troubles!

Any info about the damper?

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

I think it will work great. You won't be able to add AC but looks like that's your plan. If you are going with the LT1 intake, there is a simple way to add vacuum for the booster, so no need for the truck vacuum pump.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Awesome! I have picked up an LT1 intake and have an LT1/L86 Bo White throttle body on it.

Are you talking about the vacuum port on the rear of the intake manifold?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peterlombardi
Awesome! I have picked up an LT1 intake and have an LT1/L86 Bo White throttle body on it.

Are you talking about the vacuum port on the rear of the intake manifold?
Yes. I did a post with pictures and part number for it. Very simple way to get vacuum for power brakes.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Thank you again mzrico, that's going to also be extremely helpful! I'll do a post when I get it all together as well.

Quick Reply: 2016 Camaro SS LT1 Accessory Drive on L83...