Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*****************Admin Note***********************

I am adding this post to point out that as of today (05/29/13) HPT has annouced tuning capabilities for the E92 ECM which is used in the new trucks and the Corvette with DI. So, it would appear that the information provided by Big Gunz about the ECM and the impossibilty of it being "cracked" was not accurate. I will leave it to the reader to determine the validity of any of the other posts made by Big Gunz. I would however suggest to take them with a grain of salt.

*****************Admin Note***********************

Allow me to explain why it will be tough to crack the ECM. The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. The ECM uses (TLS) transport layer protocol allows the ECM and fuel table applications to communicate across a data network via the internet back to GM in a way designed to prevent listening and tampering. This is for your protection and safety. The public key encryption on this ECM requires 2 keys. One to access the servers here at GM and once the integrity is validate then a second key encryption is provide to the ECM within the vehicle to allow diagnostics & restore of the fuel tables & fuel event system. Many of you will have questions about (YOUR PROTECTION). I will get in front of the ball and explain.

The ECM controls the exact point in time the fuel control solenoids closes. What this means you need a very fast computer to control the High Pressure Fuel solenoid cycles which is contained on the high pressure cam driven pump itself. (This ECM is basically a small PC with applications)

The ECM needs the crankshaft and cam position, fuel pressure sensor value to be
able to actuate/control the high pressure pump solenoid. This is dealing with the volume of fuel and all pressure at the same time. If the solenoid would remain closed at all time it would supply 2,175 psi all the time, which would cause all kinds of risk with the injection event. Resulting in total loss of the engine/vehicle.

The fuel system consist of low pressure side (pump in fuel tank) and High Pressure Fuel Pump (camshaft driven by lobe). The High Pressure Solenoid on the pump has zero errors. The ECM monitors the High Pressure Solenoid On/Off signaling duty cycles in real time as an added measure of security (VOLTS & AMPS). Thus this is the learning curve, reason for this is to actuate the fuel pressure control solenoid at a specific camshaft degree value of rotation learned. Self contained ECM system the system will lock if tampered the solenoid will remain open, fuel is then returned back to the fuel inlet and no pressure or volume will be seen. For your safety the engine will not start.

with regards,

Bigg_Gunz

Last edited by J-Rod; 05-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puck
One of the cutaways on one of the sites (dont remember which) shows one of our gen 2 LT1s, glorious opti and all, and labeled it as 2014 Corvette LT1 engine .

450hp and 26mpg sure is nice, just wonder how much of a PITA it will be to mod with all those fancy new parts .
Yea, it will be a PITA to mod for a while at least, direct injection will be a major power limiter until the aftermarket catches up...where there's a will there's a way. The stock high pressure fuel pump will be a restriction for big hp gains, and there's no aftermarket high flow fuel pump available that makes 2175 psi fuel pressure required for the DI system. You hear that Holley, Aeromotive, Racetronix?! Get to work! Also, you can't just slap on some bigger injectors with DI. The aftermarket has their work cut out for them on this one. I suspect it may make more than 450hp when officially released though...450 is only 14 more hp than the current Corvette LS3....and it has DI AND higher CR (11.5:1)....14 hp gain seems like a very conservative HP gain to me
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cant wait for a LTX454. I wonder what Nelson Racing Engines is going to do to these engines. Dirty and evil things the first 1500hp LT1.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Allow me to explain why it will be tough to crack the ECM. The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. The ECM uses (TLS) transport layer protocol allows the ECM and fuel table applications to communicate across a data network via the internet back to GM in a way designed to prevent listening and tampering. This is for your protection and safety. The public key encryption on this ECM requires 2 keys. One to access the servers here at GM and once the integrity is validate then a second key encryption is provide to the ECM within the vehicle to allow diagnostics & restore of the fuel tables & fuel event system. Many of you will have questions about (YOUR PROTECTION). I will get in front of the ball and explain.

The ECM controls the exact point in time the fuel control solenoids closes. What this means you need a very fast computer to control the High Pressure Fuel solenoid cycles which is contained on the high pressure cam driven pump itself. (This ECM is basically a small PC with applications)

The ECM needs the crankshaft and cam position, fuel pressure sensor value to be
able to actuate/control the high pressure pump solenoid. This is dealing with the volume of fuel and all pressure at the same time. If the solenoid would remain closed at all time it would supply 2,175 psi all the time, which would cause all kinds of risk with the injection event. Resulting in total loss of the engine/vehicle.

The fuel system consist of low pressure side (pump in fuel tank) and High Pressure Fuel Pump (camshaft driven by lobe). The High Pressure Solenoid on the pump has zero errors. The ECM monitors the High Pressure Solenoid On/Off signaling duty cycles in real time as an added measure of security (VOLTS & AMPS). Thus this is the learning curve, reason for this is to actuate the fuel pressure control solenoid at a specific camshaft degree value of rotation learned. Self contained ECM system the system will lock if tampered the solenoid will remain open, fuel is then returned back to the fuel inlet and no pressure or volume will be seen. For your safety the engine will not start.

with regards,

Bigg_Gunz

If you are protecting me from increasing emissions, a tunable engine is more important to me than global warming. Just saying.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres a link showing each individual part of the engine (heads, intake, injectors, oil pan, pistons & rods)

http://blogs.hotrod.com/chevrolet-de...ine-38589.html
Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://youtu.be/dydbLh6E1ag

http://youtu.be/8xSD8MaIuOs
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

The resourcefulness of a tunable engine was the number one factor in why the ECM is encrypted in such a fashion. Emission output had 0% in factor of consumer safety. Fuel pressure force and volume is the best way to elude tuning the engine. The variables and safety measures put in place makes the ECM tamper proof. The objective was simple keep the consumer out of fuel tables. The cost would out weight the performance gains to convert the engine to non-variable timing. The direct injection system will not function without High Fuel Pressure Solenoid in concurrent. You safety is most important.

best regards,

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

The resourcefulness of a tunable engine was the number one factor in why the ECM is encrypted in such a fashion. Emission output had 0% in factor of consumer safety. Fuel pressure force and volume is the best way to elude tuning the engine. The variables and safety measures put in place makes the ECM tamper proof. The objective was simple keep the consumer out of fuel tables. The cost would out weight the performance gains to convert the engine to non-variable timing. The direct injection system will not function without High Fuel Pressure Solenoid in concurrent. You safety is most important.

best regards,

Bigg Gunz
So mister safety ****, are you saying that only GM mechanics know enough about direct injection to work on them? Isn't this the same BS argument that direct injection diesel guys ran into before proving it to be false?

Just a thought: if the worlds safety were left up to GM mechanics, we'd all be pledging to a different flag by now. Or worse.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

Dear sticks n stones,

What does hardware have to do with software?

waiting patiently for your response,

Bigg_Gunz
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Found my next swap.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an after thought and in no way related, but IIRC Diesel engines in large trucks have been run off high fuel pressures for a very long time. In fact a common mod onthe diesel world (1 ton trucks included) is to modify the injection pump for well over 3000psi to the injectors. That's part of the reason a large Diesel engine that powers my work truck makes 485 HP and over 1500 lb/ft of tq. High pressure pumps and mechanics are nothing new, just new when dealing with gasoline.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

Sorry for speaking in Geek.

The best way for everyone to understand this is... the safety measures are all software related with numerous fail safes in place to prevent tuning all together. The ECM works fine for basic codes diagnostics. If you wish to gain access to the FUEL TABLES for tuning. It requires 2 encrypted digital keys. One from the GM service dept to access GM Servers once connected... the GM Server sends the 2nd key to the ECM for diagnostics of the fuel event system. The High Pressure Solenoid is monitored real time for fuel pressure and volume, also volt and amps aka duty cycles are real time monitored. A drop or increase in volt or amps results in NO STARTS. The FUEL TABLE is NOT ADJUSTABLE in any form or fashion. With regards... running a high pressure external pump will not work. The high pressure control solenoid must be concurrent. Refer to post 21 for reasons why.
Your safety is most important.

Thanks,

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for speaking in Geek.

The best way for everyone to understand this is... the safety measures are all software related with numerous fail safes in place to prevent tuning all together. The ECM works fine for basic codes diagnostics. If you wish to gain access to the FUEL TABLES for tuning. It requires 2 encrypted digital keys. One from the GM service dept to access GM Servers once connected... the GM Server sends the 2nd key to the ECM for diagnostics of the fuel event system. The High Pressure Solenoid is monitored real time for fuel pressure and volume, also volt and amps aka duty cycles are real time monitored. A drop or increase in volt or amps results in NO STARTS. The FUEL TABLE is NOT ADJUSTABLE in any form or fashion. With regards... running a high pressure external pump will not work. The high pressure control solenoid must be concurrent. Refer to post 21 for reasons why.
Your safety is most important.

Thanks,

Bigg Gunz
Coming from a computer background I can tell you that there is *no such thing* as tamper proof.

Even if the encryption is never broken keys will be spoofed, servers will be emulated, hardware and software both will be hacked.

Its just a matter of time .
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

i hink this is bs kil the new lt1 setup now keep the lsx setup its a very good motor so far reading what bigg gunz is saying is gm whats to kill off hot rodding and be like big brother and say no no dont play with your vetts ecu ,this is me but in my book now you can keep your new lt1 ill stick with my old outdate and proven tpi lt1 and lsx platforms that still make tons of power and can last 1,000hp from a stock 4,8 with a turbo come on gm you can do better stick to your hot rodder roots!!!!!!! my name is anthony and i a approve this massage!!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting that accessory drives on the passenger bank again

Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

Being that you are familiar with TLS with your computer background. Then you would know the ECM has been converted into a inactive virtual client regarding the lack of the digital encrypted keys. The ECM VMs on a single hardware platform without additional network and server resources. There will be no spoofing or packet sniffing of any sort on a TLS connection with the virtual client Renders the fuel time inactive...... the assurance is in place along with many other fail safes. TAMPER PROOF.. This is the interest of consumer safety.

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Well... this sucks. Looks like the ls is gonna be around for a while since GM is being lame.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Banned

"anthony"

GM does not want to kill high rodding or high performance. You have misunderstood public safety. Roughly 2200 psi of 87 - 93 octane fuel under significant pressure is nothing less then explosives. Inaccurate timing adjustment of spark, fuel injectors, High pressure fuel solenoids cycles, crankshaft,cam variable valve timing, gear,load,converter,abs,wheel speed all plays a major role then throw in displacement on demand. This is not something even the best tuners would willing take on. The lack of understanding in these systems makes Direct injection dangerous. Disabling DOD is no longer and option for Dealers special codes are now need for that as well. The ECM is essentially isn't alone anymore to accept tuning.

YOUR SAFETY MATTERS.

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What would stop a company from making a aftermarket ecm?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
WTH GM?! First you got gen 1 LT-1, then gen 2 LT1, now gen 5 LT1...that's not the least bit confusing at all

FWIW...I found a better more detailed article about it, I was about to post it but yall beat me:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2014...-8-179333.html
There are now (as of today) THREE generations of LT1's. The "fifth" gen denotes the fifth generation Chevrolet small block. The originial small blocks (1955-2003) are first gen, LT1 (1992-1997) are second gen. LS/Vortec series (1997- present) are third and fourth, and the new LT1 is fifth gen.

I'm sure you know this but I thought I'd post this for others as well whom are wondering.

Last edited by Chevyman5436; 10-24-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block