Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Interesting that accessory drives on the passenger bank again

The way the serpentine belt bends sure reminds me of the second gen LT1
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the greatest thing about the ge3/4 engines. Was the management. At first it was non existent. I was there and rigged a fmu to my diy turbo kit on my t/a.
But then the aftermarket came out wirh ways to calibrate the stock pcm to literally infinite combos and even possible dual tunes. That is one of the reasons that has made the ls series so successful. Not being able to tune the gen5 is gonna seriously hurt its chances of success like the current ls series. Hot rodders played a big part imo for the ls current status. One of the most desirable or v8 motors available.
If it would not have been for the ls, i would have jumped ship to another brand.
I couldnt get rid of my gen2 ltx quick enough to buy my first ls car back in early 00
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If only Gen V had reverse flow cooling 13:1 compression would be interesting
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

With this new computer hogwash I see the ford Coyote motor replacing a lot of the market GM has worked for hard to capture, maybe if they allow for some degree of tuning, rather than just straight out locking it I would have a different outlook.

Look at what locking the PCM did for Chrysler, not too many "fast" ones around, let alone wild set ups.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will be hack...someday
Banned

In the spirit of morale, everyone keep faith in GM this might not be the only engine coming forth. I am not much on hardware but in software we know all. There is something very very powerful on the horizon for a very special vehicle.

best regards,

Bigg Gunz
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
With this new computer hogwash I see the ford Coyote motor replacing a lot of the market GM has worked for hard to capture, maybe if they allow for some degree of tuning, rather than just straight out locking it I would have a different outlook.

Look at what locking the PCM did for Chrysler, not too many "fast" ones around, let alone wild set ups.
Chrysler did slow the aftermarket. I don't know if anyone finally cracked theirs, but last I knew people were using the 06-10 computers, since it was a fairly easy change over. The problem with GM now is everything is going to be totally different, so computer changes won't be easy unless an aftermarket company comes out with one. It's all just a matter of time and $$
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No tuning=no want

C6=do want
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
In the spirit of morale, everyone keep faith in GM this might not be the only engine coming forth. I am not much on hardware but in software we know all. There is something very very powerful on the horizon for a very special vehicle.

best regards,

Bigg Gunz
What a twin turbo lt that if ur correct and will not be able to modded? Most gm guys are into moding their cars and if they can't sales will suffer.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the looks of things, it wouldn't be too hard to take the shortblock, slap on a LS2/3 topend and injection and still run the pass side accessories. I see lots of potential in the bottom end, but at that point why switch if you have a current working combo, or you can get the older variant at a significantly less price. Either way it looks like the gen 3 LT1 will be somewhat of a bust.

JMO.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

best regards,

Bigg Gunz
I think we are part of an elaborate troll job.

Must be the Blue Oval boys having fun.

No way anyone can really believe a system cannot be tampered with or broken. We have 14 year olds breaking into secure Department of Defense servers these days .
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

*****************Admin Note***********************

I am adding this post to point out that as of today (05/29/13) HPT has annouced tuning capabilities for the E92 ECM which is used in the new trucks and the Corvette with DI. So, it would appear that the information provided by Big Gunz about the ECM and the impossibilty of it being "cracked" was not accurate. I will leave it to the reader to determine the validity of any of the other posts made by Big Gunz. I would however suggest to take them with a grain of salt.

*****************Admin Note***********************

"puck"

I can assure you the ECM will not be tunable.
I have several GM products.
And if you really think some 14 year old stand alone kid is hacking the D.O.D then I have a VCR I want to sell you.

No one has been had or trolled here. As I've stated something very very power is on the horizon for a GM vehicle. The heads are the real potential there is significant reasoning in reversing the intake and exhaust valves. And going to a 12.5 degree valve angle with raised ports.

"puck"

Keep faith in GM.

regards,

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by J-Rod; 05-29-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

How can it not be tunable? When it goes into mass production someone will encounter a programming flaw or need a emissions adjustment. What are they gonna do? Swap out the entire pcm? Swapping out pcm's is so much more costlier than a reflash.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Banned

"Rob"

The fuel event system will not be tunable in the after market...why are someone people not understanding that the fuel tables concerning this particular engine is completely and totally off limits? The ECM is only tunable from GM servers if and when problems arises as a virtual client ECM.

Sure the someone can develop a standalone ECM to run the engine. But only after research, reversing engineering and then development. Find a supplier of quality electronic components and boards. Then you have to deal with testing and regression analysis. This ECM uses a superior processor. The cost of this is substantial far out weight any performance gains for the consumer. If possible wait until the official outputs on the LT1 VVT are out. If this engine isn't enough in power something on the horizon will tickle your heart.

Stay positive this isn't the end all of performance.

This is for your safety.

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

So GM is trying to cut off aftermarket tuners... They're going to be the only ones that can tune their stuff... So, if you want great gas mileage and 450+hp get the new LTx, but if you want a hot rod that you can make as fast as you want stick with the gen 2 LTx...

They really are trying to make everything difficult for no reason... If you want to go faster dump fuel, but not with these new ones bc you can't control it...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

On a different note, I'm not that old, but isn't this the same thing that happened when they first introduced dry shots of nitrous? Everybody was saying you shouldn't do it bc you can't control it to a point where it's safe to use...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I have experience in both Hardware and Software Engineering for embedded and stand alone computer systems. I understand the side that GM is taking on this. Gas under that kind of pressure is indeed explosive and an accident could cause serious damage and/or death. Fatalities due to errors is nothing GM wants on their hands through their own ECM's. I see it as a lawsuit and safety standpoint more than anything else.

However.

As an Applications Software Engineer as well as an Electrical Engineer I have wrote programs that cripple a Pentium 4 processor for data analysis. With the new 22nm transistor architecture standalone systems are not out of the question here. The ECM can also be be modified, forced to throw an error, and emulate the tunability from there using brute force. The only failsafe that is failsafe is a tamper proof protection system that does physical hardware damage to the ECM. Anything else is fair game. The only battle is time.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Rob"

The fuel event system will not be tunable in the after market...why are someone people not understanding that the fuel tables concerning this particular engine is completely and totally off limits?
Like I said, when talking software there is no such thing as "completely and totally off limits", EVER. Companies have spent millions of dollars and years of work in developing complicated rights management and anti-piracy software, encryption, and protection only to have it reverse engineered and cracked in literally days.

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
The ECM can also be be modified, forced to throw an error, and emulate the tunability from there using brute force. The only failsafe that is failsafe is a tamper proof protection system that does physical hardware damage to the ECM. Anything else is fair game. The only battle is time.
This. Especially during the internet age, where you can't underestimate collective intelligence.

A guy who was literally homeless for a chunk of its development is making progress an impressive built from scratch, open source, stand alone engine management system that already has a few running examples in FreeEMS and is completely designed and created by community development and donations. Imagine what a whole forum of intelligent and determined people from around the world will do to a computer system that tells them they "can't" make a change to it.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
One of the cutaways on one of the sites (dont remember which) shows one of our gen 2 LT1s, glorious opti and all, and labeled it as 2014 Corvette LT1 engine .

450hp and 26mpg sure is nice, just wonder how much of a PITA it will be to mod with all those fancy new parts .
That's a huge improvement over the 436hp 26mpg ls3 corvettes right now... oh wait. If it only has 450hp that's a huge disappointment.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

You have to be a special kind of dumb if you think the new corvette and camaro won't be tunable.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block