Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

another rod question

Old 10-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another rod question

I have searched everywhere for a 6.275 h beam rod for my 4.8 and as you probably already know it does not exist.
I've read a 6.300 will work with a piston that has its pin location changed. Both weisco and diamond gave me decent prices on a set of pistons to allow the 6.300 rods to work.
Is this my only option to run a h beam rod?
I have stock gen iv rods with floating pistons I considered using them but the shops I've called said they can't be reconditioned and I assumed they could be so I didn't bother to number them after I took them out. But I honestly want to use h beam rods and I'm stuck on both callies and lunati
Old 10-04-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Wrong section, but yes, a custom piston will get you what you want. Why spend all this time dicking around with the 4.8 crank? Just get a standard LS 3.622 crank. Pistons and rods will be off the shelf items at that point. If you are willing to throw money around for custom pistons and H-beam rods, why not make it easy on yourself and buy off the shelf parts and a good used stock crank? You'll save yourself a few bucks and get some extra cubes too.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Wrong section, but yes, a custom piston will get you what you want. Why spend all this time dicking around with the 4.8 crank? Just get a standard LS 3.622 crank. Pistons and rods will be off the shelf items at that point. If you are willing to throw money around for custom pistons and H-beam rods, why not make it easy on yourself and buy off the shelf parts and a good used stock crank? You'll save yourself a few bucks and get some extra cubes too.
Thanks yeah the 5.3 crank was a thought.I just wish I could use the rods I have all the machine shops around tell me since I didn't number them I can't use them since they can't recondition them.the gen iv rods are stout looking too I'm suprised
Old 10-11-2015, 08:49 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by mjl1977
Thanks yeah the 5.3 crank was a thought.I just wish I could use the rods I have all the machine shops around tell me since I didn't number them I can't use them since they can't recondition them.the gen iv rods are stout looking too I'm suprised
What do you mean they can recondition them?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Probably means they can't resize the big end because it is a cracked cap design. You can't resize them because you can't mill the two mating surfaces to provide material to make it round again. Numbering them is inconsequential.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
What do you mean they can recondition them?
They can't is what I'm told and since I didn't number them I can't reuse them is what they tell me
Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Probably means they can't resize the big end because it is a cracked cap design. You can't resize them because you can't mill the two mating surfaces to provide material to make it round again. Numbering them is inconsequential.
You don't have to cut the cap to resize them.

They can't is what I'm told and since I didn't number them I can't reuse them is what they tell me
That's doesn't make any sense. That's why I'm asking.

You can resize the rods, if that is even needed. Usually it's not unless you install ARP bolts which may or may not deform the housing bore. If it does, you just have to have the bore honed out about .002" and use a bearing for the oversized bore. Clevite makes one; PN 1776-P. It's actually quicker this way.

I built the engine in my Trans Am with LS3 rods. They weren't numbered and I had no idea what cylinder they came from, but it doesn't matter. As long as the bearing clearances are checked and the housing bores are within tolerance, they can go in any cylinder you want.

It sounds to me like the shop you talked to is not very experienced.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I was thinking that and it was pretty much any machine shop within 30 miles of me.
Is there a place I can maybe mail them and have them check them and set them up for arps ?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 AM
KCS

I was thinking that and it was pretty much any machine shop within 30 miles of me.
Is there a place I can maybe mail them and have them check them and set them up for arps ?
Is the machine shop incompetent? They're probably just not aware about how to resize these rods. The ARP rod bolts come with instructions to just hone out .002". If you give them the information, show them the part numbers, I'm sure they can do it. It really isn't rocket science or anything.

While you're at it, you may want to drop the crank off and have them check the clearances with a mic and dial bore gauge. It's a lot more accurate that way than with plastigage.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I moved this thread to the Gen IV section for you.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the machine shop is saying they can't do it, I would run the other way. You don't want them learning how to do it on your rods. Where are you located?
Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
If the machine shop is saying they can't do it, I would run the other way. You don't want them learning how to do it on your rods. Where are you located?
Gainesville ga
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Launching!

What are your power goals? It's not really power that kills them, it's RPM. I'd just use the stock Gen IV rods and bolts. Tons of people are running over 800 at the tire with those rods and bolts. You don't need to know what cylinder they are from, just get it balanced. Just my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another rod question