Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

Importing a commodore ss to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a commodore ss to the USA

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread...

If I'm not mistaken you can start importing 1990 commodores to the US, and 1990 was the first year of the ss (correct me if I'm wrong). I have a weird fascination with both the commodore and the falcon because the US doesn't really have a lot of rwd cars, with manuals, with v8s. Plus I think the RHD is unique and would certainly draw attention at car meets.

Now while I'd prefer an SS wagon or ute, the sedan is pretty sweet.

To the Aussie guys, how are the old commodores? Worth it, or pretty junky?

Also I'm wondering if anybody on here has already done it and can comment on how the importing process is.

Near as I can see it costs upwards of $3k just to import it and I haven't really seen an SS commodore for under $6k, so we're looking at $9-10k just to buy the car and add on top of that any upgrades or lsx swaps that may get done.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SS name has actually been around in Aussie cars since the early seventies with the HQ in 1972, Torana's in the mid to late seventies and then moved into Commodores with the VH SS in about 1982.

From 1989 on was the VN model but as far as I can remember, a ute version wasn't available until maybe the VR or VS from around 1994 and a wagon version was originally a limited run in VY in 2003 but became more mainstream in the VE from about 2007. The VN through to the VT in 1997 still had the Aussie Holden 304 ci engine and from VT on they got the LS engines.

Earlier VN up to VT's with the Holden engine are generally pretty sound cars but finding a good one for sale wouldn't be that easy especially a manual, auto's are much more popular over here (lazy drivers) so manual versions are fairly rare. I expect their main faults other than general wear and tear would likely be electrical and engine management system sensors, fuel pumps, etc. The earlier model engine management systems are fairly agricultural by todays standards, from VT on with the LS engine variations I expect the management systems would be similar to the US cars and easier to source parts for over there.

Many early LS engined cars had oil consumption problems, I expect similar to the US cars again but otherwise are mostly reliable as far as I know. The Holden engines are a really good unit but power and fuel efficiency wise the LS covers them. I don't think any of the cars are particularly rust buckets although the earlier VN's would be more likely than later models.

Cost wise earlier ones are probably not really worth a lot of money but some owners have a bit of a misguided idea of their "muscle car" value and would ask a fairly high price for one in really good condition. There are a few factory "hot" versions in the very early models with the last being the VN SS Group A, they are worth quite a bit of money these days but are very rare and not often for sale. Later models will be more relative to newer car prices, do a few searches and see what you can find, redbook.com.au is an ok place to start for your basic valuations but prices do float above and below a bit from their recommendations.

Depending on your budget, something else to consider might be a HSV version as opposed to an SS, most of these have a much higher level of trim and features as well as more power, better suspension etc. In the VR - VT Holden engine models some are 225kW which is actually a longer stroke crank (3.48" instead of 3.025") giving around 350 cubes (5.7 litres) instead of 304 (5 litres). The later models are different variations of the LS from 5.7 up to 6.2 litres. From new any HSV is quite expensive but unfortunately, they tend lose value fairly quickly so can be had for a reasonable price, even newer ones.

I hope this helps a bit, good luck if you decide to go for one. If you happen to find something in south east Queensland I could maybe have a look at it for you to give you a better idea than just photos, shoot me a PM if you find something in this area.

Best wishes,
Jason.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was a V6 Auto when I bought it back in 2002

Was an extremely windy day when recorded
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

You're a little unlucky. Commodores got shitty (ugly, fat looking) after 1989 or so. The best looking ones by far were built in the 80's. Look up VH Commodore, VK Commodore, VL Calais, VL Walkinshaw and while you're at it, Holden Torana and HG/HK Monaro if you want to see more greatness.

The VL Commodore is regarded as "douchebag-ish" in Aus by the ignorant sheep (pretty much everyone) because 99% of VL owners are 20yo heroes doing burnouts, pumping their crappy music... But the car itself is ALL CLASS, especially the Calais Turbo (3L straight 6). I've been in 10 second ones and there's nothing like them on the road. They are more like 4-wheeled fighter jets with tornado-and-Star-Wars-like sound effects.. and are hot as-f*ck.

Commodores built after 2001 or so (VX/SS and up) are very good cars, but aren't the best looking.

I've always thought about importing an early modified Commodore to the US too and doing peoples heads in.
I think I saw a youtube vid a couple years ago of an ex Aussie now living in the US with a very clean Holden. Can't remember what type unfortunately but it would've been an early model. He was filming it outside on his driveway.

I found it!!

Last edited by ChevFTW; 01-19-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Mind your own business, machine. Don't ask me questions.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Oh my. That thing has my heart^

Wonder how much it would sell for?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh how I wish they would let the 90's Holdens into the US. I got my first taste of Aussie thunder Commodore SS in 95. Then I finally saw an HSV Commodore and admired them ever since. Then found out that the GM Ford rival was the same downunder. I'd love to have a HSV here in the states.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I would be interested in the importing process also . Have always been curious how the Aussie ' s that show up for power tour were able to get their cars here . So if anyone knows I am all ears .

Quick Reply: Importing a commodore ss to the USA