inspection questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspection questions.......

Curious what do the inspectors check for? Ive got my car back together and want to race this year (at LS Fest) but I am unsure of rules and regulations. Im gonna be running 12.4 in the 1/4, without nos. and didnt know what I need to install to be legal .I have Factory seats and belts, a FSI flexplate, Hurst quarter stick, Snell approved helmet, and will be running drag radials. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Anyone????? Some people may think this is a dumb question, but I would like to know, I have never raced at a large event like this. The reason I ask is, I heard several people had to buy and install new seat belts, at the track last year. Because their aftermarket belts were outdated, per NHRA standards. I didnt know if I needed to update anything, or if there is a safety inspection.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will try to help you out. [helmet] make sure its up to date. [seat belts] also up to date. i see you are running stock seat belts so you are okay. if you have moved your battery to the back, cutoff switch and enclosed and sercurley bolted down. shifter must have neutral safety switch, got checked in b.g. last year but not in atlanta. if you are f.i. okay but if you are carb. must have return springs attached. overflow catch can. it would be wise to have a sfi-3.2A/1 jacket, just for personal protection..
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks. So they just randomly pick cars to inspect, or does Atl. not inspect.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no they inspect all cars. different classes have different rules they have to go by.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

The safety requirements for this even and most others like this will be based on the speed of the car. If you are 12.4 you'd need to look up the NHRA guidelines. But off the top of my head you'd need helmet, driveshaft loop, secure battery, coolant overflow that goes into a canister not just open to the ground. Other little stuff can be metal valve stems

For sure get a drive shaft loop on there if you don't have one.

Quick Reply: inspection questions.......