Hot Rod Power Tour/ Pump Gas Drags/ Drag Week Covers all Hot Rod events

Hot rod magazine drags

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot rod magazine drags

HOT ROD magazine has joined forces with the NMRA and NMCA to promote the best in late-model Detroit muscle at the Nitto Tire NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals event at zMAX Dragway, August 6-9, 2009. zMax Dragway, the new four-lane dragstrip owned by Bruton Smith, is THE premier place to get the muscle car wars back in session.

Ever since the discussion of the return of the Camaro, HOT ROD’s been talking about establishing a drag race where Modular-powered Ford Mustangs, LS-powered four-passenger GM cars, and Dodge/Chrysler 5.7/6.1L Hemis would race for bragging rights. The event HOT ROD proposed would prove more than which cars are the fastest but also provide each brand’s rabid enthusiasts a venue to cheer on their heroes, flame their opponents, and build race cars to compete in a series that defines the new generation of performance muscle cars. All that talk is now a reality, with the return of the HOT ROD Drags with assistance from presenting sponsor, Flowmaster Mufflers.

The HOT ROD Drags will be made up of two classes of production style street-legal cars competing either in an index or heads-up class. The vehicles must be four-passenger cars and include ’98 and later V8 Modular powered Mustangs, late-model Dodge Chrysler vehicles with 5.7 to 6.1L Hemi engines, and late-model V-8 LS –powered GM vehicles. No retrofit drivetrain of modern V-8’s into retrochassis are permitted. The basic rules ensure the competitors are not full-on race cars. Complete rules are available at www.nmcadigital.com/hotrod.

The HOT ROD Late-Model Index class will be the BIG one. On Saturday, all Fords run together as Team Ford, the GMs as Team GM, and the Chryslers as Team Mopar. NMRA/NMCA will keep track of who the leaders are in each category. $1,000 and a special award will be given to each group for the fastest street car; HOT ROD’s Fastest Ford Award, HOT ROD’s Fastest GM award, and HOT ROD’s Fastest Mopar Award. These awards will be presented on the Sunday of the event. On Sunday, all competitors are mixed up so Ford can take on Chevy and Mopar.

The HOT ROD Heads-Up class will showcase the best in late-model Ford, GM, and Mopar as they race each other heads-up. Racers who want to run in the heads-up class must sign up for it at the beginning of the event. They will make their qualifying passes on Saturday, and NMRA/NMCA will select the fastest two Fords, two GMs, and two Chryslers, plus two wild cards based on qualifying passes. Any racers who did not qualify for the Heads-Up Class will automatically be entered into the HOT ROD Drags Late-Model Index class and continue to participate. NMRA/NMCA has devised a ladder system that will have opposing brands run against each other in the first round.

For rules and purses for the Hot Rod Drags please log on to www.nmradigital.com/hotrod or www.nmcadigital.com/hotrod.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the info Jeff
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmcajeff
HOT ROD magazine has joined forces with the NMRA and NMCA to promote the best in late-model Detroit muscle at the Nitto Tire NMRA/NMCA All-Star Nationals event at zMAX Dragway, August 6-9, 2009. zMax Dragway, the new four-lane dragstrip owned by Bruton Smith, is THE premier place to get the muscle car wars back in session.

Ever since the discussion of the return of the Camaro, HOT ROD’s been talking about establishing a drag race where Modular-powered Ford Mustangs, LS-powered four-passenger GM cars, and Dodge/Chrysler 5.7/6.1L Hemis would race for bragging rights. The event HOT ROD proposed would prove more than which cars are the fastest but also provide each brand’s rabid enthusiasts a venue to cheer on their heroes, flame their opponents, and build race cars to compete in a series that defines the new generation of performance muscle cars. All that talk is now a reality, with the return of the HOT ROD Drags with assistance from presenting sponsor, Flowmaster Mufflers.

The HOT ROD Drags will be made up of two classes of production style street-legal cars competing either in an index or heads-up class. The vehicles must be four-passenger cars and include ’98 and later V8 Modular powered Mustangs, late-model Dodge Chrysler vehicles with 5.7 to 6.1L Hemi engines, and late-model V-8 LS –powered GM vehicles. No retrofit drivetrain of modern V-8’s into retrochassis are permitted. The basic rules ensure the competitors are not full-on race cars. Complete rules are available at www.nmcadigital.com/hotrod.

The HOT ROD Late-Model Index class will be the BIG one. On Saturday, all Fords run together as Team Ford, the GMs as Team GM, and the Chryslers as Team Mopar. NMRA/NMCA will keep track of who the leaders are in each category. $1,000 and a special award will be given to each group for the fastest street car; HOT ROD’s Fastest Ford Award, HOT ROD’s Fastest GM award, and HOT ROD’s Fastest Mopar Award. These awards will be presented on the Sunday of the event. On Sunday, all competitors are mixed up so Ford can take on Chevy and Mopar.

The HOT ROD Heads-Up class will showcase the best in late-model Ford, GM, and Mopar as they race each other heads-up. Racers who want to run in the heads-up class must sign up for it at the beginning of the event. They will make their qualifying passes on Saturday, and NMRA/NMCA will select the fastest two Fords, two GMs, and two Chryslers, plus two wild cards based on qualifying passes. Any racers who did not qualify for the Heads-Up Class will automatically be entered into the HOT ROD Drags Late-Model Index class and continue to participate. NMRA/NMCA has devised a ladder system that will have opposing brands run against each other in the first round.

For rules and purses for the Hot Rod Drags please log on to www.nmradigital.com/hotrod or www.nmcadigital.com/hotrod.

Yes or no on vettes?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

Heads Up Class:

NO F1R's
NO AFR225's
DOT REAR TIRES ONLY

OH WELL!

NO JR's BARBIE VETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

JR
Old 03-14-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Well if you want to run your AFR225 and your F1R then Xtreme Street is the class for you.
If your complaining because your car does not fit the Hot Rod rules rules for this guess what you fit the Xtreme Street rules 7.90's 8.00 to be competitive if you want to win 7.80's get to work. Corvettes are welcomed in both Hot Rod classes. The Hot Rod drag Heads-up class was designed for street cars with street type power adders.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

Jeff -

Thanks for your insitefull response. I'm not complaining about anything. I've participated in enough Hot Rod Magazine events to know about their "goofy" rules, and how they change them to accomodate some. The AFR225 heads ARE street heads look at their ads. The F1R Procharger has been around for a long time as a STREET application supercharger. Mine has been in service in my C5 since 2003. Whats with the 440 CI SB break point? What GM "Stock Street" configuration is 440 CI? How about NONE! That class you suggested I run is nothing but a lot of "Purpose Built Race Cars"! I can run the Hot Rod Magazine "index" class just the way I am or better yet I can run the NMCA Late Model EFI class just the way I am, but not the "Heads Up Class" THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Their Pump Gas Drags fell on its face and this is probably an attempt to do something similar. DOT rear tires but not front tires, 30 mile drive etc. Jeff here is a picture of a "REAL" 9 sec. STREET LEGAL C5. - ENJOY

See You At Bowling Green, Ky. AND maybe ZMAX!

JR

Old 03-14-2009, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Jeff -

I read the Heads Up rules a bit closer and it appears that some Z06 Corvettes can not compete as LS1 or LS2 motors are the only motors allowed in the Heads Up Competition. So no ZR1's, & no Z06's because I think they (in some cases)have LS7's. Even certain Late model Corvettes have LS3's so they can't compete either. Am I reading that wrong??

JR
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

I read it guys and it seems this pertains to 4 PASSENGER gm cars.

So if you drive a vette you must run in the index class or heads up ????
Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

All LS Powered Cars are permitted in the Heads-up class no trucks or SUV's. All of the LS engines are permitted in the heads up class.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

way cool.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

The 4 passenger quote in the press release is not correct. I'm sorry if this has caused some confusion.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JR-CRUZN-C5
Jeff -

Thanks for your insitefull response. I'm not complaining about anything. I've participated in enough Hot Rod Magazine events to know about their "goofy" rules, and how they change them to accomodate some. The AFR225 heads ARE street heads look at their ads. The F1R Procharger has been around for a long time as a STREET application supercharger. Mine has been in service in my C5 since 2003. Whats with the 440 CI SB break point? What GM "Stock Street" configuration is 440 CI? How about NONE! That class you suggested I run is nothing but a lot of "Purpose Built Race Cars"! I can run the Hot Rod Magazine "index" class just the way I am or better yet I can run the NMCA Late Model EFI class just the way I am, but not the "Heads Up Class" THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Their Pump Gas Drags fell on its face and this is probably an attempt to do something similar. DOT rear tires but not front tires, 30 mile drive etc. Jeff here is a picture of a "REAL" 9 sec. STREET LEGAL C5. - ENJOY

See You At Bowling Green, Ky. AND maybe ZMAX!

JR

Well said JR. Sweet Vette.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
10 second playa

I am making every effort to attend this event.

It looks like it will be one that you don't want to miss.

Who else plans on attending?

Redgar - How about one of your famous Roll Call threads?
-Mark me down.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Not that I own one but it states

"The vehicles must be four-passenger cars and include ’98 and later V8 Modular powered Mustangs, late-model Dodge Chrysler vehicles with 5.7 to 6.1L Hemi engines, and late-model V-8 LS –powered GM vehicles. "

What is wrong with someone that wanted to run a badass Crown Vic/Marauder?

Quick Reply: Hot rod magazine drags