International Members For our members outside of the USA

How do I get my car to Italy or Germany

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I get my car to Italy or Germany

Just wondering if anyone on here can give me some info on gettin my car over there? Just curious how everyone ships there car out there and passing thru inspections? I'm sure that my car will not pass but can I still use it as a track car or have the hookups on getting it thru?? Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why either country? Big diff there. I am sure if you state it is for only track use you will be ok.

I think in Italy you are supposed to have an actual DL if you drive any Italian car. If you drive your own you can have an american DL but it has to be translated.

I would start calling around some export companies in Texas. I don't know know if any major ships pull out of Florida's ports.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
Just wondering if anyone on here can give me some info on gettin my car over there? Just curious how everyone ships there car out there and passing thru inspections? I'm sure that my car will not pass but can I still use it as a track car or have the hookups on getting it thru?? Thanks
Are you pcs'ing here through the AF? Avatar says you're at Eglin. IF that's the case the gov't will ship it free of charge if you have orders to Italy or Germany. If you are shipping it private then you pay out of pocket--generally 1K to 2500 depending on what you require and can take any from 2 to 8 weeks. Plenty of shipping companies available. Inspections is no tint on the front windows in Germany and not exceed 95 decibel from the exhaust @ 1/2 rpm redline limit. They check brakes and for leaks and that's about it.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Banned

yes the new regs here on cars tint exhaust etc is BS....thanks general rofl germans doesnt even matter about tint but we cant have it...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

If your'e AF and PCS'ing to Italy, I can tell you what's required to get your F-body registered, As I just brought my TA here (Aviano AB) from the states.

-When you are outprocessing, get with TMO to set up your car shipment. It wont cost you anything. (you will have to drop it off to them about a month before you actually leave, so I hope you have another method of transportation.)

-After you get here you have to wait another month, as it takes time to ship it via boat into Germany, put it on a car carrier, then drive it to Italy, and process the car. (sometimes it takes longer, because they wait to get a group of cars going to the same location, then ship them)

-Before you go to pick it up, you have to get an AFI drivers license (pass a test during your mandatory newcomer briefings over the first week) set up your insurance (Italian insurance, USAA, or Geico) have them email a certificate to the Pass&ID office on base, they will do all the paperwork, collect a 5 Euro registration fee from you, and issue plates to you. (I would register the Ls1 as your "white plate" vehicle so you don't have to pay Italian "road tax" on it, because they tax according to engine displacement) and it would cost you around $1000 anually in road tax.

-bring your title or lien paperwork, AFI license, plates insurance info& certificate with you to go pick up the car, they will release it to you, then you have to have it inspected on base within 10 days. From what i've seen, it is mostly a safety inspection (lights all work, no leaking fluids, no bald tires, no exhaust leaks, etc.) I say "from what i've seen" because I pick up my TA next week, but i'll post back if any info changes from what i've posted. (i've got LT headers and no cats so i'm kinda interested how this is gonna turn out) I wouldn't worry about tint here because I just bought a shitbox BMW that just passed the inspection, and it has like 7% tint on the back and all side windows.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well I found out I'm going to Aviano AB in the end of April. Do they do emissions testing? Because I'm going to have a h/c setup. Cool to know that they'll be someone to hang out with over there. Got to let me in all the details.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Launching!

ooohhh *****... what about kosovo?? haha
Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know if there's any drag strips over there.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

from what ive heard, there is a drag strip outside of milan. i dont remember it being there when i lived there though...

and im not sure about the rest of the country or in germany. i would bet they have one or two in germany!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are several in Germany. Not sure about Italy but I'd bet there are. The thing about being over here is you have to be in the loop or you won't know shiyat and one could be around the corner from your house and you wouldn't know it.

Go to Mightymustangs.net and set yourself up an account. There are a few guys that are in italy that may have the scoop.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Definately will found out. I hope they do have some. If not then I'll just beef up by suspension and cruise thru the mountains.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I'm heading to spangdahlem in a few months and I was told that they look at a cutout as a exhaust leak and your tires can't go past your fender, and no tint. I have one cutout myself so I will have to change that.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 PM

We Move Express can help to export vehicle overseas, Germany, Netherlands, UK or any other country, we offer best rates. We are located in Long Beach, CA.

Quick Reply: How do I get my car to Italy or Germany