International Members For our members outside of the USA

Shipping to the UK

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping to the UK

Hi,

Well I have had my Camaro SS for several years and have done lots of suspension mods etc, and I tell you, the cost of shipping and import taxes is killing me. Everything ends up costing double the original price and then it costs another bomb to be fitted. It's worth it all in the end though.

Anyway, I need some new wheels and tires (tyres), and I suppose they'll cost a lot to ship due to the size / weight..... is there anyone from around the Cambridgeshire area that knows someone from a base who can help out... I normally have my work done by a garage at Mildenhal and see loads of US troops, but never get the chance to meet them..

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Old 04-06-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Try www.fbodyeurope.org
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UKCamaroSS
Hi,

Well I have had my Camaro SS for several years and have done lots of suspension mods etc, and I tell you, the cost of shipping and import taxes is killing me. Everything ends up costing double the original price and then it costs another bomb to be fitted. It's worth it all in the end though.

Anyway, I need some new wheels and tires (tyres), and I suppose they'll cost a lot to ship due to the size / weight..... is there anyone from around the Cambridgeshire area that knows someone from a base who can help out... I normally have my work done by a garage at Mildenhal and see loads of US troops, but never get the chance to meet them..

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
I brought my new tires to Finland when I brought all my moving stuff in containers (3 18' boats, 2 9' boats, 3 cars, 4-wheelers/dirtbikes/motorcycles and moving furniture all in 2 40' containers). 275/40/17 tires cost alot here, so I will have a friend who constantly has cars shipped over in containers throw them in one of his next time I need tires. I would check around if there are any local usa-car importers and talk to them, you might get a real good deal on shipping... only problem is it takes 1-1.5 months for stuff to get to Finland.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also some companys that aren't used to shipping to the UK charge aload for shipping!
Try & get them to ship by usmail it's alot cheaper than UPS!
I order most parts now from Thunder racing as they have very reasonable shipping charges & only takes a couple of weeks unless it's large then it'll take 4-6 or it's UPS!
I also run my own clothing business & ship regularly from the US so i know wot it's like!
But yeah it's usually worth it in the end.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Intimidator SS
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however I actually tried there first.... they suggested here. I think most of the members on fbodyeurope are in Germany.

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Old 04-07-2006, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WORKSHY
Also some companys that aren't used to shipping to the UK charge aload for shipping!
Try & get them to ship by usmail it's alot cheaper than UPS!
I order most parts now from Thunder racing as they have very reasonable shipping charges & only takes a couple of weeks unless it's large then it'll take 4-6 or it's UPS!
I also run my own clothing business & ship regularly from the US so i know wot it's like!
But yeah it's usually worth it in the end.
Oh No... another SS in the country

Seriously, it great to see some more! Is yours an auto or manual? I haven't seen many in the country.... do you know how many there are?

I will have a look at Thunder racing.... all of parts have so far been sent via UPS

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi! I't's M6 I don't know how many SS's there are for sure, less than 10 that i know of yours mine,1 35th,2 black 1 sold thru an importer, all in classic american & a 99 silver vert that i was going to buy from Baur & Millet before i imported mine New in 02.
Oh & some lad that went to a meet said his boss had a red SS could've been BS but that makes 7.
Oh one more thing when they ship using USmail when they get here they're in the hands of Parcel farce! so make sure you get a tracking No from the company u're buying from & track it all the way! as this company are notorious for f**k ups.
Have a tracking No & u'll be fine.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Teching In

PLUS mine & what wheels & tyres you looking for??/
Paul
Old 04-08-2006, 12:31 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there anyone from around the Cambridgeshire area that knows someone from a base who can help out... I normally have my work done by a garage at Mildenhal and see loads of US troops, but never get the chance to meet them..
We do have quite a few military people on ls1tech who are stationed overseas, but it seems like most of them are in Iraq and other Middle East countries currently.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ACW
We do have quite a few military people on ls1tech who are stationed overseas, but it seems like most of them are in Iraq and other Middle East countries currently.
Lets hope they all return home safely

Hi Paul,

I'm looking for some CCW wheels (17 by 11's for the rear and the normal for the front). For the tires, I currently have Kumho Ecsta's, but as they are now very nearly gone, I'm not sure which brand to go for really.

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Old 04-08-2006, 05:16 AM
Teching In

Ok,
its just that my mate had some cragars for sale but tyres not too good on the front,they are 285/40/17 On the back & 255/40/17 On the front he has chrome nuts & locking nuts & wants £600 for them.He had them on his SS but i convinced him to put the SS wheels on
Paul

Last edited by vetmanuk; 04-08-2006 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vetmanuk

PLUS mine & what wheels & tyres you looking for??/
Paul
Very nice SS! got questions: is it possible to drive in England with the front liscence plate removed? clear corners legal? what about tint windows?
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clear corners yes as long as the bulbs are still amber
liscence plate not sure on that one! But i was thinkin of removing mine.
tints to a certain extent i think are allowable, not full tints tho!
But you'd be amazed at what most people "Ricers" are gettin away with in regards to lighting & tints, Blue,purple,green headlights, postbox sized liscence plates u'd need a magnifying glass to read from 5feet away! seems like most cops here can't be arsed with the paperwork.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Hi,

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Try Ian Turnbull 01304 823366 Plough Garage, Dover, he's just started bringing container loads in to UK.He won't rip you off.
Tell him Al Platt from racing put you on to him.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Very nice SS! got questions: is it possible to drive in England with the front liscence plate removed? clear corners legal? what about tint windows?
Thanks
You must have the front plate on display when driving on the roads, i have been stopped once for not displaying. I have tints on my GMC pickup & looking at them thought they would not suit the conv, & as WORKSHY said clear corners ok with coloured bulbs
Old 04-10-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you.
I drove in your country several times and man it is a pain in the neck to get used to driving on the left side, especially the circles.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ALZ28
Try Ian Turnbull 01304 823366 Plough Garage, Dover, he's just started bringing container loads in to UK.He won't rip you off.
Tell him Al Platt from racing put you on to him.
Thanks a lot, I will give him a try.

What type of racing do you do?

Regards,
UKCamaroSS
Old 04-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Thank you.
I drove in your country several times and man it is a pain in the neck to get used to driving on the left side, especially the circles.
Driving left hookers 25 years over here so got used to it & i know what you mean about the roundabouts.lol
Old 04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Did you bought your cars in the US or in your countrys? I want to buy mine in the US, so what shippingcost i have to expect? I have to ship it to Germany, must be almost the same as to to the UK.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had mine shipped from the US think i had to wait 4months with it being new, then got the train down Essex to pic it up. cost me £28500. all in

Quick Reply: Shipping to the UK