Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Lookin for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lookin for some advice

ok so im 18 years old and finally got my dream car. Now im looking to do some cheap mods to my 99 Z. Got any ideas to make my car faster and sound better. Everything on it is stock except for a K&N air filter.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do the free mods. Cut out the bottom of your air box to allow air trapped infront of thr radiator to escape and force it through the air filter and into the lid. also if your car has egr you can pull the tube out from your intake and cut the metal piece just as the diamiter changes w/ a hack saw. This will allow more air into your intake. These mods are pretty much free and easy to do. Other than that I would suggest a cat back exhaust. Do you have emissions testing or inspections where you live?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Plus an aftermarket airlid is a must! It's not too exspensive, looks good, and really works at speed.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

that wont effect the computer and put up a check engine light or anything will it? and no i dont have any emissions testing or inspections where i live. what kind of cat back exhaust would you recommend? i have looked at the SLP loudmouth II system but i have never heard it on a car or anything, do they sound good?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

get the magnaflow system or a borla, the loudmouth tends to get a little raspy when adding other mods.... just my 2 cents. other than that yes the EGR with effect the SES light, but who gives.... im 18 too and bought the car at 17.. first thing i did was headers... that was probably the best mod ive done yet. other than that, take that goofy *** spoiler off your car and put the stock one on.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

why were headers the best mod you have done? plus I like the spoiler, but that picture doesn't do it much justice. haha
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Headers = sick power gains.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
I agree
Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

haha awesome good enough for me, but how much of a bitch are they going to be to put on? am i going to have the drop the motor down?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

I agree! Headers were a huge improvement in power and sound. what I did that was cheep the day I bought my car is just cut the muffler off and instead just y the exaust pipes from the bend over the axle. this sounds great unless you add headers then it is way too loud. Loud mouths do get raspy when adding mods. Now i have headers ,no cats, x pipe and true duals. Just start off with what you can afford and build from there. Also check the for sale section on here for used cat backs at a reasonable price. Used parts are nice when your on a fixed budget. Also my ses light never came on when I did the EGR mod. I guess some do/ some don't.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

It depends on which headers you get. I didn't have to drop the motor down I just used the Fonzie method and gave it a little tap and they went in fine. One from the top and one from the bottom. i used Mac headers to start out with. Also make sure they have emission hookups if you don't want to tune it or turn off a light.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hamrdown
It depends on which headers you get. I didn't have to drop the motor down I just used the Fonzie method and gave it a little tap and they went in fine. One from the top and one from the bottom. i used Mac headers to start out with. Also make sure they have emission hookups if you don't want to tune it or turn off a light.
All good info.

Pacesetters LT's are a great way to go. Macs are "tuned length" headers are they not? Pace Set LT's would be the way to go for budget minded people, and you still get good welds and tubes. But if you plant a money tree, buy some stainless kooks
Old 11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

All good info.

Pacesetters LT's are a great way to go. Macs are "tuned length" headers are they not? Pace Set LT's would be the way to go for budget minded people, and you still get good welds and tubes. But if you plant a money tree, buy some stainless kooks
Oh yeah for budgets you cant beat Pacesetter long tubes with ceramic coating. My Macs only have a high temp coating. they are mid length headers but worked great until the 395 stroker. Going with TSP 1 7/8th now.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

ok so if i get new headers, a y-pipe, and a catback to i have to run cats or not, i have no emissions testing or anything like that
Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't. No testing where I'm registered. You will need some sort of a tune to turn 2 of the O2 sensors off. When u take the cats off things get really loud and I didn't tell a big difference in power at the bolt on level. If you go that route I suggest the Magnaflow catback system. It is to tame in my opinion with cats and just right without. But I like a little noise.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

haha well I'm all for getting noticed. I want people to hear me coming.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

where would i get a tune at, is that something i can just go to any mechanic for? plus about how much will that be
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Not every mechanic has that software. Unfortunatley i don't know of any shops around where you live. you could just buy O2 simulaters from any vendor and they would work as far as turning the SES light off. Plus it's alot cheaper for now.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THE-ZCamaro99
ok so if i get new headers, a y-pipe, and a catback to i have to run cats or not, i have no emissions testing or anything like that
You don't need cats if you have no visual and no smog. However, as stated, I will always runs cats regardless of the law. I hate the idea of choking on some wicked fumes at every stoplight with the t-tops off. Unless you have Forced induction, you will not notice much if any HP loss by running cats. BUT AGAIN if your cheap as hell, they do cost some extra dough.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
take that goofy *** spoiler off your car and put the stock one on.

I 2nd that.....