Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy--defected from Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy--defected from Mopar

Well, i never thought id be in a place like this. I have blown up my last chrysler motor. So now im going to build a 383 stroker and stuff it in my Ram. No telling how much rotted fruit and rocks will be thrown at me, but this is what im going to do. Being its my first real GM build,im going to have a ton of questions--but the basic plan, build a brutal torque monster 383 stroker that falls in the 2000-5500 RPM range. Make it super dependable, and add fuel injection (thinking TPI) in the future.

Trans is unknown as i know less about GM trannies than i do about GM engines, but something that will withstand the power and have overdrive is what im thinking--i'd really like a 4 or 5 speed, as the truck has 3 pedals in it from the mopar trans, but $$ will dictate what i get.

Probably a big question that i will hear---Why dont i just buy a chevy truck? Well this ram has alot of sentimental value (my wife and i drove off in it after getting married) so i cant get rid of it.

So thats my story, im here, lets get started.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the site! I doubt rotted fruit and rocks will be thrown at you from the guys here of course since lots of people have swapped LSx engines into different vehicles and they kick ***! Your dodge buddies might give you lots of crap though lol. You will want to check out the conversion and hybrids section below for common info on doing a swap. Ever thought about putting a GM truck engine in your ram like a LQ4 or LQ9? They both have the same block. You can stroke those to 402 or 408...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Well, I am doing something similar myself (LS in my Mustang). I have owned a few Mopars myself (2 '71 Challengers, '69 Charger, and currentlly have a '03 3500 Cummins DRW as my daily driver and wife drives an '02 Jeep GC Overlander)

Hey man, whatever works. I have never been a brand loyalist, as I see no one paying ME to drive their cars, so I will drive what I like and will do what I like to them. My stable is diversified to say the least right now:

55 Pontiac Chieftain (family cruiser) with a small block Ford in it
97 Pontiac WS6 TA bone stock LT1
89 Ford Mustang GT with a LS transplant
03 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander

My only suggestion would be to try the LS based swap over the TPI. My .02
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Ever thought about putting a GM truck engine in your ram like a LQ4 or LQ9? They both have the same block. You can stroke those to 402 or 408...

....or 414"
Old 11-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gen414
Hey man, whatever works. I have never been a brand loyalist, as I see no one paying ME to drive their cars, so I will drive what I like and will do what I like to them. My stable is diversified to say the least right now:
I hear you there. People that know me almost fell over when i sold my turbo'd big block dart and bought a 1920 model T. But i like it. And the wife and i laughed when i brought up the fact when we tow the ford with the chevy powered dodge truck.

I know this is also a heavily based LS and LT forum, but any searches i was doing online almost always brought me here. I am building a Gen I engine.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 383ram
I. I am building a Gen I engine.
That's cool. Did not realzie u had already started yet. The reason I brought up the LS is because it is so cheap to do and is essentially a superior motor to the Gen 1 is why.

Anyways, good luck with your project
Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity.......why'd you keep blowing Dodge engines? Which motor were you using?

I've got a 94 Cummins DRW/4x4 Ram, a 68 Coronet R/T convertible, 98 Trans Am, 95 9c1 (Caprice police cruiser/Impala SS platform) and an 83 f-150 (the yard bitch now) , and that's the current stable. Have had a few others including fords as well.

Out of all of them, including a couple chevy trucks I've had, the ram's diesel engine is by far the most brutish thing I've worked with. I was headed down the highway in the rain the other day, in the ram, with it's 9ft plow on. In overdrive (5th gear) I put the pedal to the floor and the truck actually spun all 4 rear tires and went sideways, on a bone stock 94 cummins motor!

I've had Chevy trucks with the TBI motors.....Never could kill them. Never could get them out of their own way either!

Good luck with the build. I've toyed with putting the ls1/t56 into my coronet ragtop just to **** people off........
Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=acslam;10498522]Out of curiosity.......why'd you keep blowing Dodge engines? Which motor were you using?

I've got a 94 Cummins DRW/4x4 Ram,

Out of all of them, including a couple chevy trucks I've had, the ram's diesel engine is by far the most brutish thing I've worked with. I was headed down the highway in the rain the other day, in the ram, with it's 9ft plow on. In overdrive (5th gear) I put the pedal to the floor and the truck actually spun all 4 rear tires and went sideways, on a bone stock 94 cummins motor!

QUOTE]

Pretty sure he has a gas motor that he is talking about, and not the Cummins. I've got a CTD, and you can't kill it, even if you try. Ive got it modded, makes an honest 400HP+/900TQ+ hauls a 44' enclosed, has 250K miles on the ticker. Motor never been apart, not even to fix an oil leak. Injectors and Turbo replaced to make my power with the TST programmer, but motor is still sealed from teh factory