Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Prospective LS1 T/A Buyer saying what's up

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Prospective LS1 T/A Buyer saying what's up

I've been lurking around these parts for years but have finally made arrangements to pick up a 1998 Trans Am (black, A4) come springtime. I've test drove a few over the summer but they were huge piles, and I said I wasn't going to proactively go after one unless a good deal fell in my lap. A family member has a kid on the way so he has to ditch his Trans Am, so we've been talking and the only way he will sell it is if it stays in the family. The car is currently in pre-paid heated storage, and once that time is up I plan on taking it on as a second car.

My current car is a 2000 GTP that runs 13.40s. I was planning on dropping some dough into the car this winter for a Turbonetics 62-1 turbo setup and built transmission, but the T/A is going to cost just as much as the turbo and trans combo, and I'd rather have the LS1. Who wouldn't, right?

The T/A is going to be a summer cruiser with a few trips to the drag strip a year. I would like to road race or autocross the car, but it's an auto ... boo. Plans include a Koni/Strano suspension, headers, converter, gears and shoot for mid 12s this year, and maybe a cam next season. Anyways, I'll be poking around, asking some questions and contributing as much as I can.

Here's a few pics of the current ride: