Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New from FL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New from FL!!!

Sup guys, I am new here, so i thought I would say Hell-Low

I am coming back to the Darkside after 5 years of owning a 3000GT VR4 Twin Turbo... I left the Camaro behind for something different, but I now feel it is time to come home

This is a cut and Past from my post on another forum I belong to, lol, I am sick of typing

===========================

Well guys, I said I was going to find one and I did!!! I just picked up a 99 Trans Am Vert. Sadly it is an A4 that needs a rebuild, but for.... wait for it...... wait for it..... wait for it........... $3100, I think I can live with it for now...

There are some other issues with the Bird like body damage; the prev owner hit a deer and now the DS Frt fender needs to be replace as well as the nose cover, it got damaged as well from the impact. It also ######ed up the fog light and the hood is dimpled a little bit, but it is a reg hood so it would have been replaced anyways

The tail light on the DS is also cracked, so I am assuming that it was hit by the deer when it flew back. Then on the PS rear QP, there is a weird round bit of damage; it looks like a baseball hit it and someone with less than adequate skills tried to fix it then painted right over it. Outside of that, the body looks Ok, with dings and dimples here and there, but nothing too bad.

On the inside, the DS seat is B-B-Bad! The ###### needs to be replaced, the PS seat is OK and the rear is chewed up, so that too needs replaced, but I am one for Delete Mods, so the rear seats will be coming out anyways; as for the DS and PS seats, nothing a set of Corbeaus or OMPs can't fix

The dash, well.... ummm.... Okay.... Yeah it is BAD! Looks like shattered glass, lol., I have never seen one this bad before.

Lets see.... The windows are slower than molasses in the dead of winter and the DS window seems to be off track. The DS door switches for the door mirrors seem to work except for the "right" control; I can move both the L and R mirrors up, down and left, but the right does not work.

The seat for the DS is power, but it seems that the features have been abused by someone that was in excess of 300, ie; they don't work very well if at all. The seat will move back and forward for leg room, but I am not sure what is going on with the others, lol, but then again, out goes the seats for Weight Redux Mod.

Moving to the Column..... lol... Well I don't have wipers, high beams, blinkers, or anything on the blinker arm. The Hazards don't work, and if I move the steering wheel up or down while the car is running, when I go to turn off the car and take the keys out of the ignition, the key will come out and the wheel will lock BUT the car will not turn off, lol.... I have to put the key back in and mess with it a bit to turn it off.

Oh and I have a Check Engine light

For the ummm..... Good.

It has a A/M Pioneer CD player, some no name alarm (Crimebusters IIRC) and Flowmasters. The top is in real good condition, operates smoothly up and down. And it has chrome wheels (OEM)

Out of all that, the worst part of the car (for me that is) is the orange pin striping, lol, it looks as if it were applied by a 5th grader. Needless to say, that is coming off!!!

Yeah there are a few issues, biggest being the A4 (will not go into 3rd and 4th), but all in all, not too bad. I look at it this way, a LS1 engine is $2500+, so $3100 for a 99 T/A with some BullS**t issues is OK.

I will get some pic posted soon

DM
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Banned

Here are some pics of the Bird

Well Photobucket would only Upload 5 mins worth of the 11 min vid... I will make another one tomorrow

DM
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Banned

DM
Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Banned

DM
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damm dude for 6K you could of had my 00 Vert and saved yourself a lot of work.
BTW I have all the parts you need.

Recaro seats,
front bumper cover,
doors,
dash pad,

send me a pm with your info and we can talk some more.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

bad purchase...sorry dude, but that is going to take A LOT...when you could have spent twice that much and got something that is 10000x better.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
bad purchase...sorry dude, but that is going to take A LOT...when you could have spent twice that much and got something that is 10000x better.
Those are the MAGIC WORDS, lol, TWICE AS MUCH. I did not have twice as much to spend right now, but over time I will be able to afford what I want to do to it in the end. $3100 for Bullshit issues when the engine goes for $2500, I don't think constitutes a "bad purchase"

So I see your in OP, is there a Jax Crew that gets together?

Hit me back Bro!

DM
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Welcome to the boards n gl with your ride
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

you could fix all the interior problems and some of the big exterior for about 1000, and if you can do your own work theres plenty of used trannies for cheap at the junkyard. Personally id get a 05-06 GTO six speed tranny and put it in there. I'm in jax btw. give that car some lovin and roll out with us man
Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SlowSS416
you could fix all the interior problems and some of the big exterior for about 1000, and if you can do your own work theres plenty of used trannies for cheap at the junkyard. Personally id get a 05-06 GTO six speed tranny and put it in there. I'm in jax btw. give that car some lovin and roll out with us man
Hell's Yes!!! Glad to see your in JAX!!!

So is there a get together around here or do you guys do the Sonics thing?

As for the issues, I really don't understand why many are sweating such little issues...

I posted this in another Firebird forum, it outlines the way i think

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
You got my intentions 100%!

Believe me, I would have loved to have just bought one outright with zero issues, but I don't have $10K or even $7K to put down all at once with out hurting me financially. With time anyone can afford anything and in time I will be able to afford the $10K car that i really have wanted

DM
Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
I just don't understand that reasoning! A fully dressed LS1 engine goes for $1500 to $2500... Hell, I could not even find a Vert Rolling Chassis for $3100...

The way I look at it is, I like to customize my ****, I wanted a triple black Vert Trans Am 6 speed w/ Ram Aim, so the odds of me finding exactly what I wanted was not very good, so would have had to paint the car anyways, get a body kit that I liked anyways, get the Ram Air hood anyways, get the M6 Anyways......... Follow what I am saying... I bet that i can fix this car and mod it and STILL come out ahead of paying out $10K for something that needed "No WORK"

DM

I guess many here do not do their own work, and then in that case i would agree, but I LOVE cars and I LOVE to MOD them...

You see the BIG picture, these issues are trivial compared to the whole picture.

No one ever finds the car they REALLY want, you have to MAKE IT YOURS!!!

As for the trans, there is a guys in South Fl that has everything for a M6 swap, save the peddles and center console, so i will be picking that up next week. As for the bumper, I am getting the TFT FI bumper ( I think it is called the TFT, I also seen it called the Evolution E-1)...

The Bird is already on its way

DM
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i'm glad you're into saving it and restoring it... a lot of work, but will be fun! good luck!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy crap, ..., That thing needs a ton of work, ...,
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
well i'm glad you're into saving it and restoring it... a lot of work, but will be fun! good luck!
Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Holy crap, ..., That thing needs a ton of work, ...,
Yeah it will be a fun project. It will not happen over night, but it will become what I want

DM
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Launching!

out of all that carnage (good deal tho ) that fat speaker wire-looking jumper (not the blue wire headed towards the engine compartment ) bothers me the most looks like a good place to start a wiring fire http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t/100_2072.jpg and good luck on the mods
Old 04-18-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6k...your crazy man lol

Good luck
Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScrapSilicon
out of all that carnage (good deal tho ) that fat speaker wire-looking jumper (not the blue wire headed towards the engine compartment ) bothers me the most looks like a good place to start a wiring fire http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t/100_2072.jpg and good luck on the mods
Yeah, that is why I decided to swap out the complete dash/body harness for a known good one. Just plug in and go.

DM
Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

not to pile on, but i think you paid too much! check out this one for 900 more than you paid...https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...cs-inside.html
and a motor with over 105k isnt worth 2500!
but on the other hand, i am glad you are trying to rescue this bird. i just hope you dont find out there is more wrong, once you get it on the road.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by up2nuthingud
not to pile on, but i think you paid too much! check out this one for 900 more than you paid...https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...cs-inside.html
and a motor with over 105k isnt worth 2500!
but on the other hand, i am glad you are trying to rescue this bird. i just hope you dont find out there is more wrong, once you get it on the road.
Well the thing is, I wanted a convertible, I think that is what you guys are missing here. I found many WS6's and SS's for a little more than I paid, but they were T-Tops or Coups. Vert's are NOT cheap

DM
Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how do you like the bird compare to the vr4?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Banned

Well prior to the VR4 all I did was Camaro's and T/A's but this is the first 4th gen I have had and since it's poor wings are clipped right now, lol, I don't have much to compare to, but I will say this, I LOVE the AWD and AWS that the VR4 offer as well as the look; it is such a SEXXXXY car! Oh and the VR4 was the first time I did turbos, but it will not be the last

DM