Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

NEW PLEASE HELP! much appreciated

Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW PLEASE HELP! much appreciated

Hello fellow camaro men and gals. Okay here i am new to this site. I am from thirdgen.org. i came over here to see what you have. I been with thirdgen.org for quite some time since i own a 1986 camaro with 305 700r4 stock rear end. My problem is since i dont' see you're tech guide on here. My girlfriend has a 1995 camaro 3.4 v6. it thrown a rod. Car is in great condition so i hate to see this poor girl in the junk. My girlfriend gave me permission to put an engine in her. Now. here it is..... I have a 1991 formula firebird that i been parting out for my camaro. which the manual transmission i will be swapping out to put in my camaro that is auto. but later on to what i am trying to say. the 1991 firebird has a 305 vortec head v 8. I am wanting to put that in the camaro the problem i might see is the vats system. minus wrong transmission bellhousing. which i already know so no telling it won't fit b/c of the bellhousing on transmission ect.... I need to know that the vats in the camaro 95 will still work when i pull out the ecm out of the 91 firebird and put it in the 1995 camaro. or do i have to replace the ignition cylinder and along with the swap to make sure the car will start? the 1991 firebird is a TPI as the camaro tpi. i knwo i need to swap ecms to. if i want to keep it tpi and not go to carb. I hope someone can help me on this. b/c i really don't want to find out down the road after i put it all together. besides :X i used the steering column out of the 91 firebird to put in my 86 camaro which mind u is carb. so the vats isn't hooked up. But i am hoping i do not need to replace the cylinder key for the swap. Hope you understand i am little tired and trying to write this and make sense out of it. Any info much appreciated.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro1986
Hello fellow camaro men and gals. Okay here i am new to this site. I am from thirdgen.org. i came over here to see what you have. I been with thirdgen.org for quite some time since i own a 1986 camaro with 305 700r4 stock rear end. My problem is since i dont' see you're tech guide on here. My girlfriend has a 1995 camaro 3.4 v6. it thrown a rod. Car is in great condition so i hate to see this poor girl in the junk. My girlfriend gave me permission to put an engine in her. Now. here it is..... I have a 1991 formula firebird that i been parting out for my camaro. which the manual transmission i will be swapping out to put in my camaro that is auto. but later on to what i am trying to say. the 1991 firebird has a 305 vortec head v 8. I am wanting to put that in the camaro the problem i might see is the vats system. minus wrong transmission bellhousing. which i already know so no telling it won't fit b/c of the bellhousing on transmission ect.... I need to know that the vats in the camaro 95 will still work when i pull out the ecm out of the 91 firebird and put it in the 1995 camaro. or do i have to replace the ignition cylinder and along with the swap to make sure the car will start? the 1991 firebird is a TPI as the camaro tpi. i knwo i need to swap ecms to. if i want to keep it tpi and not go to carb. I hope someone can help me on this. b/c i really don't want to find out down the road after i put it all together. besides :X i used the steering column out of the 91 firebird to put in my 86 camaro which mind u is carb. so the vats isn't hooked up. But i am hoping i do not need to replace the cylinder key for the swap. Hope you understand i am little tired and trying to write this and make sense out of it. Any info much appreciated.

Just put an LS1 in it with a carb!!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:52 AM

Well i would. but my girlfriend doesn't want it carb she hates that my camaro is carb with manual choke. she wants it fuel inject TPI. which i have the firebird as. so is it possible to use the firebird as a donor car even if its a older model by 4 years.???? and if so is the ecm wiring harness all i have to change or a complete harness change over? also reason i am doing the firebird is b/c i have all the parts on there i need to do a swap.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

hey man, welcome to the site! check this thread out, u may be able to find something in there! https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Old 05-17-2009, 02:19 PM

I checked those out. i just need to find out i have a cherry picker i am able to use. Since i looked under my girls 4th gen camaro. WOW!!! it sits way back there??? how in the heck am i suppose to pull that out??.. take the front clip out?? or what and i heard u drop the engine from the bottom what kind of work are we dealing with here. i want the simpliest. i figure going front but how can i connect my damn cherry picker to it. bc the 3rd gen firebird is an easy pull out take off hood, fan blade, tranny bc i dont have clearence to pull it all out and wires and hoses. but this car wow i think i took more of a bite than i can chew. b/c i told my gf it shouldn't be bad just time consuming. and today i look under the hood and o my lord. i know it can be done any pics or some advice and its a 305 91 firebird. now i don't know about LT1's or LS1's are they 350 or what. and will the mounting off the firebird still be able to be used since its a 3rd gen going to a 4th gen???? Please guys i need help i want to get this done. my 86 camaro is being driven daily by here more than me and i am getting jealous .
Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome Put a LS2 in it that is a 6.2 ltr and good for 400 + H.P right out of the box.. procharge it and you will have a reliable 650 H.P 30 mpg car...
Ask me how i know this...

Larry
Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaro1986
I checked those out. i just need to find out i have a cherry picker i am able to use. Since i looked under my girls 4th gen camaro. WOW!!! it sits way back there??? how in the heck am i suppose to pull that out??.. take the front clip out?? or what and i heard u drop the engine from the bottom what kind of work are we dealing with here. i want the simpliest. i figure going front but how can i connect my damn cherry picker to it. bc the 3rd gen firebird is an easy pull out take off hood, fan blade, tranny bc i dont have clearence to pull it all out and wires and hoses. but this car wow i think i took more of a bite than i can chew. b/c i told my gf it shouldn't be bad just time consuming. and today i look under the hood and o my lord. i know it can be done any pics or some advice and its a 305 91 firebird. now i don't know about LT1's or LS1's are they 350 or what. and will the mounting off the firebird still be able to be used since its a 3rd gen going to a 4th gen???? Please guys i need help i want to get this done. my 86 camaro is being driven daily by here more than me and i am getting jealous .
u can take it out from the top, i did mine. take the radiator out, tranny loose, plenum off, motor mounts out, u can remove the while the cherry picker lifts the engine, take the hood off. the 2 top bellhouse bolts r a pain, u may have to lower the tranny, & stick a block (like a 2" piece) in between the oil pan, & k-member.

Search this Thread