Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New From New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New From New Jersey

Hey all!

I'm in the market for a car and after some serious research, i've decided I want an f-body! I started off looking at econoboxes, but a friend of mine pointed out that i could get some decent used cars, and the work and research began.

I'm mainly looking for a DD (hence the econobox start), but the info i've been reading here and elsewhere has shown me that almost any car can be a daily driver with a little love and care. I started really focusing on engine swap cars, but one day it dawned on me.. "Why swap a engine when you can just buy one in it with one of the best engines around??" So that lead me to the 4th gen GM F platform, and then to here.

You guys seem to have an awesome community here, and i'm really looking forward to picking over the newbie forums and search options and learning all I can about what is shaping up to be my next major love in my life!

I don't have a car yet, but i'm in the process of securing financing, and keeping my eyes peeled on autotrader, craigslist and other sites for good deals. Good buddy of mine said to py attention to 30K mile+ cars, since earlier miles tend to have some sort of oil issue.

I'm a relative car newbie, only drove automatic, never even changed my own oil, but this research into this stuff lit a fire under my *** and I can't wait to learn all you guys can teach me.

I'm starting to ramble, so i'll end this, but I wanted to say Hello to all you guys. Any advice ya'all have for a newbie, please feel free to message me whenever.

Side Note: This is one of the cars i'm seriously looking at. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js..._id=248680216&
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to ls1tech.
IMHO the car you are looking at is overpriced. Two years ago I bought my 1999 automatic black TA with a grey leather interior for $11,000 with 40k on the odometer (previously owned by a woman in her 60s). I also find it suspicious that he put a new LS1 in at 56k. I wouldn't buy it.

How old are you? Only asking because you sound to be about 17-20, and I was 17 when I bought my car. Actually the woman didn't want to sell it to a teenager, so my dad bought it with my money. Have you driven a 4th gen f-body yet?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true I would probably check this one out.

Last edited by Pseudonym; 07-05-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't stick to autotrader to find a car...I know of a 98 z28 m6 for sale in north jersey for 5k. Has 120 K miles on it...6spd...bolt-ons...and cammed. Probably too many mods for you, but PM for details.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
Welcome to ls1tech.
IMHO the car you are looking at is overpriced. Two years ago I bought my 1999 automatic black TA with a grey leather interior for $11,000 with 40k on the odometer (previously owned by a woman in her 60s). I also find it suspicious that he put a new LS1 in at 56k. I wouldn't buy it.

How old are you? Only asking because you sound to be about 17-20, and I was 17 when I bought my car. Actually the woman didn't want to sell it to a teenager, so my dad bought it with my money. Have you driven a 4th gen f-body yet?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true I would probably check this one out.
I'm actually 28, but looking back over my post, I do seem a bit.. enthused, don't I? I blame the percs I take for my recent hand surgery.

As for the car you linked, while I'm very appreciative of you helping me out, I noticed the car linked is an Automatic. While I understand Automatics of this type are just as capable as Manuals, I really had my heart set on Manual. Thanks tho!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

just keep looking. youll find something clean.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While I understand Automatics of this type are just as capable as Manuals, I really had my heart set on Manual. Thanks tho!
Oh, I just thought you were looking for an f-body with over 30,000 miles and figured you might rather have an auto since you havent driven manual. You should check the vehicle classifields on this site. Surgery sucks, I've had knee surgery, facial reconstruction, brain surgery, bone graft from chin to jaw, and plate removal after a biking accident in 2004, but I feel pretty good now. Hope you recover quickly. Where did you have the surgery? sorry for the hijack.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Oh, I just thought you were looking for an f-body with over 30,000 miles and figured you might rather have an auto since you havent driven manual. You should check the vehicle classifields on this site. Surgery sucks, I've had knee surgery, facial reconstruction, brain surgery, bone graft from chin to jaw, and plate removal after a biking accident in 2004, but I feel pretty good now. Hope you recover quickly. Where did you have the surgery? sorry for the hijack.
I don't mind. crushed my hand at work. three fingers broken (oblique fractures) and two partially severed tendons. I take two perc every 4 hours and sometimes I get a little loopy Pascack Valley emergency room did the surgery. I start therapy in a couple weeks, assuming the tendons heal properly.

Back on cars, I'd be using this as my DD, and i'm in NJ which means.... snow. Does the thought of one of these cars in snow make you cringe? I'd be using snow tires, and the roads I drive to work are all main ones, but...Its a concern.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
just keep looking. youll find something clean.
Thanks, mate!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kreiger
i don't mind. crushed my hand at work. three fingers broken (oblique fractures) and two partially severed tendons. I take two perc every 4 hours and sometimes I get a little loopy Pascack Valley emergency room did the surgery. I start therapy in a couple weeks, assuming the tendons heal properly.

Back on cars, I'd be using this as my DD, and i'm in NJ which means.... snow. Does the thought of one of these cars in snow make you cringe? I'd be using snow tires, and the roads I drive to work are all main ones, but...Its a concern.
I DD my car.....just got bolt-ons on it...goes mid 12s..I'm in south central jersey, so the most snow we see is like 6 inches if that....I don't have a problem. My car also came with traction control....it helps in these cars, but buying one without it isn't a problem either.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I DD my car.....just got bolt-ons on it...goes mid 12s..I'm in south central jersey, so the most snow we see is like 6 inches if that....I don't have a problem. My car also came with traction control....it helps in these cars, but buying one without it isn't a problem either.
check your pms, friend.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say traction control is pretty important if you are going to drive in the snow. You don't NEED to have it, but it is VERY helpful. I'm pretty close to Montvale, and I drove in the snow and rain of North New Jersey without a problem when I first got the car. Just don't drive agressively and it'll be fine.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM

I would say traction control is pretty important if you are going to drive in the snow. You don't NEED to have it, but it is VERY helpful. I'm pretty close to Montvale, and I drove in the snow and rain of North New Jersey without a problem when I first got the car. Just don't drive agressively and it'll be fine.
How does one acquire traction control on these? certain mods?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Some fbodies have the option on it. On a firebird Its a switch on the center console in front of the shifter on the left. On a camaro theres two switches above the radio the left is for the fog lights, the right is the TCS
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How does one acquire traction control on these? certain mods?
It was an option. You could probably add it to a car that doesn't have it but you would need to put in a 4 channel rear end and do some other stuff (not sure what all is needed). It would be much cheaper to buy a car with it then to add it to a car you bought without it.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site. Good to have another NJ member on board

-Mike