Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First Post, Car Already in shop less than a day after purchase

Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post, Car Already in shop less than a day after purchase

Hey guys, first time member, long time reader. Had an LT1 Z28 A4 when i was 16, ran it into the ground. Got out of college, couldnt wait to get an LS1 this time around. Found and bought a 2000 Pewter WS6 M6 w/ 90k on it. Had minor bolt ons (lid, full exhaust, short throw, adj master, etc),chrome Z06s, fresh clutch, 4.10s, "fresh" tranny rebuild. Picked it up about 2 hours from my house and threw the 3/4 synchro on the way home. Actually probably more like around 15 miles from where i bought it. Fresh tranny rebuild my fat ***. The guy i bought it from is pretty much being a dick about it, so i just decided to suck it up, get a real rebuild done on the T56 and get the rear main seal replaced, and get the carrier reshimmed in the rear end since it seemed like it had too much slack in the gears. It turned into a money pit the second i got it and i still can't wait until i can get right back into it. Hopefully when i do get it back i can get with some guys around Houston to get hooked into the F Body scene around here. God i love f bodies.... twiddling my thumbs until i can grab gears again.....
Old 08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used cars always need some work to get them into proper working order. Too bad it's a bigger job than you expected.

Think of it this way: If you needed a tranny job 2 years from now, you wouldn't feel so bad.

The worst part is waiting to drive it.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks man , how did you know you threw the 3/4 synchro? and how did it happen ?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of shifter do you have? If it is a pro 5.0, chances are the screws are not set correctly.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Teching In

I ran it through 1,2, and into three at about 7/8 throttle, let out as i shifted into fourth, when i went to hit the clutch and catch fifth, it was almost impossible to get out of fourth, after it came out, it would grind trying to go into fourth, but you would have to wrestle it into 4th if you were trying to get it in. After driving it the next day, it started to not like 3rd either, all the other gears work fine, just 3 and 4 are bad, sounds to me like either the slider keys are bend or the 3/4 synchro is gone, could also be the 3/4 shift fork, i'm no trans genius, but it's internal trans regardless. So i'm getting the entire rebuild done, carbon fiber synchros, new 3/4 fork, bronze fork pads, billet keys, etc. Would name the builder but they arent a sponsor. He's a guy that has built race rearends and trans's for alchohol dirt cars for my dad and some friends of mine b4. Right you are, if it had needed a trans it two years i wouldnt have felt as bad, just kind of sux it happened now. But, as soon as it's broken in i'm sure i'll do something else to it so, water under the bridge i guess. Oh, and it is a pro 5.0, pretty sure it wasnt set up correctly just like the rest of the crap this guy sold me, but my trans guy is going to reset the stops in it b4 i get it back
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

That sucks.

But cars are money pits. Performance cars more so, and modified performance cars even more so.

Sorry it happened immediately but you are going to have to get used to it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

I blew the trans in my car in the first 16 miles I drove the car after i purchased.

i never once complained to the seller about it. The simple fact is if i was teh seller and you bought the car from me and it broke 10 miles down the road. i am not sure how you drove it those ten miles.

I probably also would not be willing to offer any help on it either. It is just the breaks of buying used.

But, since you are rebuilding the tranny you will never have to worry about it again. so that has to make you feel good anyway.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Teching In

i'm not saying i think he should give me my money back or pay for the rebuild or anything, i'm just saying that one of the selling points of the car was that it had a pretty complete tranny rebuild less than 7000 miles ago and a clutch sooner than that. The clutch i can believe, it feels way better than a 90000 mile clutch, but if the trans was that fresh, there is no way that me banging on it that little bit should have trashed the synchro or whatever i happened to do to it. It wasnt like i sidestepped the clutch at 5 grand or tried to grab a gear without using the clutch. I guess the bottom line is had he not touted the trans to be so freshly rebuilt i wouldnt be so pissed about the fact that it took a crap on me right out of the gate. Had i thought that it was a 90k mile trans i would not have been surprised in the slightest. The deal to me is just dont lie to me and blow smoke up my *** about what the car does or doesnt have, i'm still probably gonna buy it anyway.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have some SERIOUSLY long posts with no form what so ever to them.. that is all!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
you have some SERIOUSLY long posts with no form what so ever to them.. that is all!
agreed.. sorry to hear about your car..

Search this Thread