Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS motors

I have a 68 el camino and im thinking i want to get an LS motor. Im use to Spark/fuel and air. the sensor crap of the LS motors with the ECM confuses the crap out of me. how user friendly are they? should I attempt or not bother? my intentions are just for a daily driver? i dont want to do much to the elky but put a motor and trans in and drive with good gas/mpg.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carburetors and distributers are complex due to all of the springs/diaphrams/levers/rods, etc. Their design is similar to a cuckoo clock.

Modern computer controlled engines are simple becuase they have no external moving parts.

If you install a complete engine/trans along with the original harness and computer out of a donor car, you should be driving trouble free with fuel economy you won't believe.

I'm an old school guy that has only started learning the new stuff in the last couple of years. Use the new technology to your advantage. It's awesome.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea. i can't lie i definatly see your side and you're right. but my main concern is being able to diagnose new problems as they occur. how am i suppose to know what sensor is making the car act like it is without a bunch of guess work and money? general trouble codes such as "misfire" could mean anything. thats why im on the fence with this decision...