Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello...From sunny South Fla...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello...From sunny South Fla...

Hi Guys,
I've been searching around for some info on engines for a G-Body and someone suggested you guys...So here I am.
I'm thinking about a LS(something) for my 83 Malibu wagon. Was just at a car get-together and a guy put a LS1 in a 60 Vette !!! Slick !!! And pretty !!!Didn't get much face time with him, so I have some questions.
Anyway, I have considerable time with LT1s' and lesser beasts, but I'm thinking around a 427 LS(X) type power plant. The budget is 10K for the drive train(engine and tranny, computer and such), I'm thinking a 200R4 that has been built-up($1000 with the torque converter). The rear is going to be a 3.73 and I'm going to 15s' around Thanksgiving.
How deep am I going here??? I like the idea and the POWER, the 92 octane isn't my favorite flavor, but for the right mileage, I could get used to it. My other option is a 383 high torque truck motor (325hp/425ft. lbs...on 87) for around $4500, + headers and such.
Should I start smaller and work up..If poss. ???
I'm thinking of a low mileage LS engine and ECM around 3k-4k.
How much fabin' am I looking at??? Will it go under a 83 Malibu cowl hood without chopping the cross-member ?
I have not seen any pre-fabed engine mounts for this swap...
Some intro....but there it is.
I have 3 sons and 2 are interested in cars...so I have the muscle and drive and we are used to the G-Bodys, as one of the boys has a '79 H/O, that we've been restoring for about 2 yr.s now. So, now it's my turn..
Thanks in advance,
Bruce