Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

need some info

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some info

hello all i am new to LS1 tech got some questions to ask of anyone who wants to give up info.

I was recently givin a '96 camaro it has the "beefy" 3.8L with a 5 speed tranny. my questions start here where would i need to start to do a v8 swap and would i be worth my time? the car is by no means in condition to sell, the paint is awful and the odo reads well over 120k. the engine is not th efactory engine and if i remeber right only has about 50k on it and runs like a top. i know ths is a ls forum but you guys have seen all different kinds of cars roll through here and ideas bounced around. my father-inlaw has a 58mm stage 3 turbo, but it needs to be rebuilt and is going to cost $500 plus all the crap i need to do the install. Now i know i aint going to get any big money for it but the way i see it i would be better off saving the money from not putting the turbo and all that in put that money back and sell the engine and trans and put all that money towards some form of LS engine. im thinkin of doing a NA engine that away i can maybe stay away from having to get into the whole wiring harness stuff. the whole idea behind this car is for me to have a project to do while im going through machinist school so i will be doing all the engine work myself. sorry for such a long post but im lost in the sauce and need some direction.