Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Member 73 Pantera

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member 73 Pantera

Hi. I live on Long Island and own a 73 Detomaso Pantera. Although the Pantera community would burn me at the stake I am considering re-powering with an LS3 stroked to 427ci. Based on the weight to horse power ratio and the cost I don't see getting the power , reliability and weight savings from my 351 Cleveland. I am just about finished modifying my suspension and brakes. I did a complete rebuild of the suspension with upgrades to poly graphite bushings, new Konis, 4 piston Brembo big red calipers from a 966 Porsche (911 Turbo) custom upper a-arms to get 8 1/2 degrees of caster ( stock is 2 1/2) custom billet hubs on front and custom billet rear risers, 13" coleman rotors (vented with gas vents) and converted from half shafts to porsche 930 turbo cv Joints, and sphere ***** a on the sway bars. The a-arms are powder coated in Chrome silver. I have three piece forged wheels 18 x 9.5 front and 19 x 13 in back and Nitto
NT-05's 235/40zr/18's and 335/30zr/19's. Now that I have the suspension and brakes (so I can turn and stop) I want to work on making it faster. I was hoping to get something like 650 hp from a built LS3 with out resorting to forced induction. I am relatively new to LS engines and most of my previous cars have been foreign DOHC engines. I don't think anything comes close to the LS aluminum engines. If I had the money I would start with an LS9. But with a stroked LS3 I think I can get the power for half the price. I welcome any advice or recommendations on a build configuration to get the best power band across the rpm range. This is not a drag strip car (Duh) I plan to use it for street and open road race .
Boyd
Attached Thumbnails New Member 73 Pantera-left-side-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Nice vintage exotic.

Built LS3 will transform it into a modern supercar.

Have fun with the build. You came to the right place.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Default That's they general idea

I have already brought the brakes, suspension, drive train, lights ( quad hella HID projector "Cats eyes" in the head lights HID low and hi beams with "Quad super hi beams , all four HID lights lit at once)and leds every where else. I have up graded the cooling with a 45 degree lay down radiator with dual sucker fans, , Updated fuse box with led blown fuse warnings, Digital head light controller, stainless steel water pipes, acnc dual master cylinder with balance bar to handle the brembo caliper fluid volume. I have strengthened the drive train with custom axles , cv joints and heavy duty bearings. I still need to go through the ZF trans axle to raise the gear ratio to deal with the extra horse power and higher revs to obtain a higher top speed and longer gears. I also will need to fabricate 180 degree headers for the LS motor. (to get the Italian "super car" sound) Then after I blow them off I can blow them away by showing a pushrod motor!
All I need is time and money. The Cleveland currently has a cold air induction set up , edelbrock performer manifold, Holley 650 double pumper, a lopey cam, hall big bore headers with empty mufflers, msd 6al ignition with MSD distributor and blaster coil. It runs well and sounds great but it's no 650 Hp!
Boyd
Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Teching In

thats a very interesting car haha i like it