Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

2003 Mustang HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Mustang HELP

I know it's not ls1 related but the other websites aren't responsive or helpful as this one.

My wife's 2003 Mustang V6 automatic makes the same noise as in the video. It sounds like a ticking or gurgling sound and makes it in any gear. The exhaust manifolds were replaced under recall because they were rusted through from the AC dripping on them, new plugs/wires, new ignition coil, new fuel filter, new air filter, transmission and converter fluid flushed, new transmission filter, and cleaned all intake components. Car runs sluggish and has a noticeable surging to it when accelerating. City driving has horrible acceleration unless at WOT and if driving normally the car will shift out of 1st gear as soon as it can. On the highway, the car has to downshift to maintain any speed over 60mph. From 50mph to 40mph you can feel the car decelerate on it's own like something is holding it back (feels like a locked torque converter). Once it gets to 40mph it will shift out of overdrive or if you push the gas at 40mph it will buck and then accelerate in overdrive. It will get 180 miles on a tank of gas in the city and 260 miles on the highway. It use to get over 200 miles in the city and close to 325 on the highway.

Also, 2 months ago I had the transsmission and converter fluid changed and has maintained the correct level since then. I checked it the other day and I had to add 3/4 quart of fluid but it doesn't have any leaks. The fluid is disappearing apparently? I've been told the transmission control module has a vacuum and could be sending the fluid back into the motor and I've also been told the cats were clogged up but I don't have any check engine lights. Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNp6Or8J_8