Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Popping noise in the back of my camaro!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise in the back of my camaro!!!

I have a 98 camaro v6 with 150 k miles, i recently bought it and noticed that theres a loud pooing noise in the rear right side of my car. I thought at first it might be the jack near the spare tire; but when i checked it was on tight n didnt move. So any ideas??
Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

When do you hear this popping sound? When you put it in drive, when driving, on turns, when you stop?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 PM

while im driving and over any bumps small or big.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Is that popping sound also with a strong jolt like the car is bottoming out? Cause I had something just like that, the car with strong jolts on bumps, and it was my passenger side shock that was blown so the spring would compress until the axle hit the bump stops.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt98v6
theres a loud pooing noise in the rear right side of my car.
Well that's a different problem entirely.

In all seriousness, it's an F-body, it's gonna make noises. My car makes so many noises you can't keep track of them, and it seems like I find a new one every week.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM

huh ya wow it is and so now this weekend im goin to check the shocks. Thanks again haha and 2 more questions.
: I admit i was going fast then slowed down to 30 and made a sharp left turn without breaks and made a skidding noise.. after now im hearing a squeaking noise from the right side. Then after i was going about 70 uphill and tried to slow down fast for a sharp right and skidded and soon after smoke was coming out from the bottom of my car. so what might be the squeaky noise and is my car alright after all the dumb turns
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM

Could be a worn out shock or shock bushings. Possibly the rear sway bar end link could be worn or broken. How big are these bumps your going over? If they are really big, you could be hitting the bump stops.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by AngryLT1
Could be a worn out shock or shock bushings. Possibly the rear sway bar end link could be worn or broken. How big are these bumps your going over? If they are really big, you could be hitting the bump stops.
they vary some are very small and others large yet the noise happens with both
Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure that your axles seals are still good and not leaking fluid. check all your rubber bushings for cracks and missing peices. LUBE THE CAR everywhere you can..with a grease gun and proper grease..that should help some of the creaky noises..
Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Launching!

huh ya wow it is and so now this weekend im goin to check the shocks. Thanks again haha and 2 more questions.
: I admit i was going fast then slowed down to 30 and made a sharp left turn without breaks and made a skidding noise.. after now im hearing a squeaking noise from the right side. Then after i was going about 70 uphill and tried to slow down fast for a sharp right and skidded and soon after smoke was coming out from the bottom of my car. so what might be the squeaky noise and is my car alright after all the dumb turns
I had to do an 80-0 stop cause of a damn Javelina, I've done sharp turns at decent speeds and it's still good. The skidding sound was probably just that you were skidding, the smoke could come from lots of things. Oil that fell on the exhaust manifolds could be one of them, 3.8L series II is known for leaking oil from the valvecovers onto the exhaust manifolds on rare occasions.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
I had to do an 80-0 stop cause of a damn Javelina, I've done sharp turns at decent speeds and it's still good. The skidding sound was probably just that you were skidding, the smoke could come from lots of things. Oil that fell on the exhaust manifolds could be one of them, 3.8L series II is known for leaking oil from the valvecovers onto the exhaust manifolds on rare occasions.
oooo ok that makes sense cuz my cars leaking somethin n i cant figure out where its cming from.. another ? is i have ground effects and iv been recieving several comments from family n friends some saying theyre nice others that they need to come off.. il put some pics up soon but whats your opinion on ground effects?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Launching!

oooo ok that makes sense cuz my cars leaking somethin n i cant figure out where its cming from.. another ? is i have ground effects and iv been recieving several comments from family n friends some saying theyre nice others that they need to come off.. il put some pics up soon but whats your opinion on ground effects?
Depends what brand ground effects they are? I personally like the GM OEM RS ground effects and have seen a few Z28 owners swap them into their Camaros. If they are the RS ground effects I'm sure a few Z28 owners will be glad to take them off your hands if you don't want them.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM

im not quite sure which ones they are but very soon il post up some pics
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Launching!

This is kinda what the RS ground effects package looks like.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
This is kinda what the RS ground effects package looks like.
those are mine exactly except mine are the same color green as my car of course haha
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Yep an RS Camaro, I think they look good in a Camaro compared to some aftermarket body kits.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Nice!! theyre stayin on cuz i liked them but quite a few said to take em off, im curious about turnin my v6 into a v8 for more power but i hear its aloooot of work more than its worth... plus i wanna know if my v6 can take a 2009 dodge charger
Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Launching!

No it can't take a 2009 Dodge Charger especially a Hemi powered one.
If you want to swap a v8 into it yes it is hard work. The thoughest part is completely rewiring it with a new engine harness. I got a pal who owns a shop and specializes in LS conversions doing my swap. About $800 for engine, tranny, driveshaft, rear end, and full rewiring is hard to beat
I recommend if you don't have experience working on cars and no electrical experience hire a shop with experience in swaps to do it for you.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 PM

damn ya i figured.. n wow hell ya good deal, i dnt know how much itl cost cuz if its too much id rather save up n buy a z28
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Launching!

damn ya i figured.. n wow hell ya good deal, i dnt know how much itl cost cuz if its too much id rather save up n buy a z28
For a LT1 Z28(93-97) or a LS1 Z28 (98-02) Cause if you want to save for an LS1 they can go from 9k to over 20k in some cases for a high mileage one, at least here were I live.

Quick Reply: Popping noise in the back of my camaro!!!