Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1tech...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1tech...

hey all...

I'm new to this forum.

I've been reading up on pontiac firebirds and have fallen in love.

I like the 4th gen f-bodies. Honestly, I'm not as knowledgeable about engine building and all, but I would like to buy a 93 firebird v6 (because they're cheap) and upgrade it to a v8. I know the typical upgrade is LT1, but I'm curious about other options.

That's about it, I guess.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

Save your money and buy a used 98/02 ls1 trans am .you will spend less money and time /headaches and you will be extremely happy 4 about 2 or 3000 miles,then you can satisfy your need to work on your car by installing other goodies!nowadays typical upgrade 4 cars past and present is not lt1's hate 2 break it 2 you but ls 1,2,3,6,7 ,lsx engines are the norm in tons of cars.(EVEN FORDS HAHA)! and imports as well .you will have fun with an lt1 but a ton more fun with an ls1!trust me .sorry lt1 guys definitely a stout engine but if your going 2 upgrade from a v6 and spend the money 4 a conversion, well you might as well just get 2 the point and **** with some modern(late 90's!)power!It's more gas friendly 2!once again no offense 2 the lt1's.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

LT1's will run if they're stroked but still power for power, the LS1 wins.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Save your money and buy a used 98/02 ls1 trans am .you will spend less money and time /headaches and you will be extremely happy 4 about 2 or 3000 miles,then you can satisfy your need to work on your car by installing other goodies!nowadays typical upgrade 4 cars past and present is not lt1's hate 2 break it 2 you but ls 1,2,3,6,7 ,lsx engines are the norm in tons of cars.(EVEN FORDS HAHA)! and imports as well .you will have fun with an lt1 but a ton more fun with an ls1!trust me .sorry lt1 guys definitely a stout engine but if your going 2 upgrade from a v6 and spend the money 4 a conversion, well you might as well just get 2 the point and **** with some modern(late 90's!)power!It's more gas friendly 2!once again no offense 2 the lt1's.
I was thinking that too. I knew it had to be cheaper that way. Thanks for confirming it. I know the ls1 can fit in a 2002, but what about these other engines you speak of. I hear the LS3 is the most modern and most efficient. Would it fit? Better question. Besides asking newb questions on here, where could I learn more about this?

Thanks,

BFP
Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

while the ls3 is a damn good engine you would have less chances finding a used one compared 2 an ls1.not impossible just harder 2 find.ls3 makes more power 4 sure but will be more expensive.ps 98-2002 trans am's/camaros have ls1's.find a wrecked one somewhere and take the drivetrain out of it and there you go.tons of options this is just one of them.good luck
Old 09-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
while the ls3 is a damn good engine you would have less chances finding a used one compared 2 an ls1.not impossible just harder 2 find.ls3 makes more power 4 sure but will be more expensive.ps 98-2002 trans am's/camaros have ls1's.find a wrecked one somewhere and take the drivetrain out of it and there you go.tons of options this is just one of them.good luck
Well, ill most likely get a 2002 v6 because that is all i can afford for now. its in good condition and has 75k miles on it. I figure i will put 25k on it while saving up for a new ls3.

Now, i will be honest here...i have no idea how to even approach something like taking the drivetrain out anything...i would love to learn how to do all that. Whats the best resource? All help is appreciated. This is something ive always been interested in.