Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1's

So let me start off by saying that I've been a Ford guy my whole life. I've had 3 mustangs and loved them to death. Last feb. I had an unfortunate accident that destroyed my pride and joy and have been stuck driving a dodge neon until I can afford to get another "respectable man car".
Anyways, long story short, I have about 12k saved and have been looking around for some new muscle.
The more I read and learn about the ls1, the more I want one. My problem is that they come in a few different cars and I don't know if one is better than the other. So, here I am to hopefully get some insight from you all.

I have some basic goals and aspirations for what I want to do with the car.
First I would like to build a n/a motor somewhere in the range of 450-500hp.
Second, I want to set up the chassis and suspension for roadracing...I like straight line speed but rippin around a track is way more fun to me.
So basically, with my 12k, what ls1 car would make a good base for what I want out of it.
Thanks for the help and pardon my ignorance. Just want to try something non-ford.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ghost_6
So let me start off by saying that I've been a Ford guy my whole life. I've had 3 mustangs and loved them to death. Last feb. I had an unfortunate accident that destroyed my pride and joy and have been stuck driving a dodge neon until I can afford to get another "respectable man car".
Anyways, long story short, I have about 12k saved and have been looking around for some new muscle.
The more I read and learn about the ls1, the more I want one. My problem is that they come in a few different cars and I don't know if one is better than the other. So, here I am to hopefully get some insight from you all.

I have some basic goals and aspirations for what I want to do with the car.
First I would like to build a n/a motor somewhere in the range of 450-500hp.
Second, I want to set up the chassis and suspension for roadracing...I like straight line speed but rippin around a track is way more fun to me.
So basically, with my 12k, what ls1 car would make a good base for what I want out of it.
Thanks for the help and pardon my ignorance. Just want to try something non-ford.
I just bought a 98 ws6, with a 6 speed and 53,000 miles on it for $9000. So far i love it! i would say you can find one hell of a 4th gen f body for 12k, i came from fox bodies too and i glad i did. For a street car, i dont think you can do better!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:36 PM

yeah, I'm havin a hard time figuring out if the Camaro SS or TA WS6 would be better for what I want to do. I dunno, I'm gonna reasearch them both.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

For 12k you should be able to get a pretty damn good ls1. Check out the cars for sale on this site you might be able to pick up exactly what your looking for about how much ya got saved up. I got a 98 T/A with 89k miles for 7k and i love it!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_6
yeah, I'm havin a hard time figuring out if the Camaro SS or TA WS6 would be better for what I want to do. I dunno, I'm gonna reasearch them both.
They're the exact same cars with different body panels, neither have any real advantages over the other. Buy which ever you think looks better.
Your best bet is to likely buy a Z28 or Firebird Formula because those are the lightest of the two makes, and the suspension you get with the SS or WS6 cars you will be replacing anyway.
After you buy your car make sure to SEARCH the suspension section and don't just go off on a buying rampage, many parts made for these cars are for drag and will really hurt your handling (even if the part may not be labeled as a drag part, and even in some cases the part may claim better handling when its not). - Main things to look at first are shocks/springs/swaybars/brakes and of course tires. When you are ready search for Sam Strano - national autox champion with his 4th gen Z28.

Now Im wondering, have you actually road raced before? Im asking because a 450-500RWHP car is no walk in the park around a track, your best to start off slow and work your way up.