Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

newbie to the fbody from ironton ohio

Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie to the fbody from ironton ohio

Hey guys my names Michael reed I live here in the boondocks of Ohio we call it Ironton. I just bought a 1996 trans am with a lt1 6 speed. The motor was knockin and tickin and just all around is on its last leg, so i found another 95 trans am with a some work done to it but the car had no title. So now I have to swap the good motor out of the junk car with the junk motor in the good car. Nows hears my problem, I have no car lift but i have accsess to some a few floor jack and a engie hoist but iv never took a motor out of a fbody, iv never even seen it done so I was hopein some one could clear up the top removal vs bottom removable debate on which is easier, faster,safer, or smarter or whatever other pros and cons u wanna come up with. From reading on here some people say top some say bottom and u don't HAVE to have a car lift to remove it from the bottom. I'm just lookin for some advise from someone with a lil experience since I have none with these cars.

Thanks guys any advice is helpfull

Lol I would upload some pics but I'm on my phone and i dont have a home computer sorry ill try to get some up here later
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

I know that top is rarely done, if at all. Dropping the K member and taking it out of the bottom is the way to go, I'm pretty sure its only 6 bolts (plus what is connecting the motor of course). I've seen someone use and engine lift to lift the car up once the kmember is unbolted, leaving the whole k-member with the engine attached on the floor. There are many more tips and tricks, I'm sure people will post up and help you out. THere are probably existing threads on tech with what you are looking for.. try a search, theres some good stuff on here.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

out the bottom is the easiest way, although it can be pulled out the top it is much easier to unhook all wiring, remove front brake line from abs block, remove all coolant hoses, unhook steering shaft at rack and pinion, unbolt exhuast from body, remove dshaft,unbolt struts, trans mount or crossmember, then k member and lift body high enough to roll everything out while supporting kmember with a jack.. im sure im missing some parts but its been like 3 days since i did it lol hope this helps
Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Welcome to tech
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks guys sincr I have two diffrent cars and one is junk I just cut the front end off with a tourch and pulled it out that way but my good car I'm pretty sure I'm Gunna drop it out the bottom. According to everything iv read that's the easyest way, but I bet it won't be as fun as cutting it with a tourch lol. But anyway thanks for the help guys ill try to get some pics up when I get a chance of my hack job on the junk car

Search this Thread