Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new guy from stoughton, ma

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy from stoughton, ma

hey, what's up
i'm from stoughton, ma (just south of boston) and i'm just getting into the LS motor world. i am going this weekend to pick up an LQ9 long block for $650. i'm not new to cars, just to LS motors.
i have a 79 Monte Carlo that has a relatively fresh 383 stroker in it now. i just got done building this engine in april of this year, and couldn't pass up this early christmas present to myself (partially from my wife)
after some quick research on this forum, i'm looking into doing a cam swap, a car intake, most likely the ls6, but the budget will determine that - and some injectors. i will likely have this car tuned for good street manners, rather than for maximum performance, but that is all up in the air. right now i'm just pumped to get a 6 liter for a good deal, and toss that bad boy at my monte!
i look forward to learning from and contributing to your site!
thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a neat build. I'm about to start on a similar build for my '81 Camaro but I'm gonna go with the 5.3ls truck motor. The ls6 is definitely worth the money. Just keep an eye on your local Craigslist. They pop fairly often around here for reasonably cheap. And depending how large you go with your cam you can still keep some really good street manners. I think it's Lingenfelter that has a line of smaller cams with some pretty high lift that have been getting power increases comparable to other much larger cams. Why the decision to ditch the 383 after just finishing it? Just wanted to do something different?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

I just saw this post on the home page and thought stoughton hmmmmm, oh yea alex's!! The only reason why I know where that is haha. Sounds like a cool build, I know someone doing a monte around the same year, neat cars and you never see them. Lingenfelter does sell some small good cams, I had a gt2-3 in a 5.3, but id look at a custom grind to, contact slowhawk performance, he's right in bridgewater. He can do all your tuning as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Launching!

welcome! have any pics of the '79
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What's wrong with the new 383 in there that you're going to a heavier and smaller engine?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkota1968
I just saw this post on the home page and thought stoughton hmmmmm, oh yea alex's!! The only reason why I know where that is haha. Sounds like a cool build, I know someone doing a monte around the same year, neat cars and you never see them. Lingenfelter does sell some small good cams, I had a gt2-3 in a 5.3, but id look at a custom grind to, contact slowhawk performance, he's right in bridgewater. He can do all your tuning as well.
I was thinking about getting a custom grind for my build as well. Any recommendations on where to get one custom spec'd?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

i built the 383 out of spare parts that i just happened to have lying around, and have always wanted to go FI, and a guy nearby posted up the exact motor i have wanted to do for a long time at a deal i can't refuse.

don't get me wrong, the 383 goes pretty well, but that's stone age technology. it's built using parts that have been in existence since the dawn of muscle. i want a car that i can get into on a 30 degree morning and turn the key and go and get some beer without letting the thing warm up for 10 minutes. i want to be able to ask my wife to move the monte without a 20 minute explanation on how to start a carbed car. i want better reliability, and to be able to go into a junkyard and have my pick of engine parts, rather than to have to go all the way to the back and rummage through picked clean cars to find a rusted *** engine accesory bracket. although the aftermarket for a gen 1 motor is BIGGER, it is not necessarily BETTER. there are a million tom dick and harry's out there who are putting out crappy parts, and the innovation by companies like edelbrock and holley is over. there is a reason why all of the OEM's went to fuel injection, and it's certainly not because carbs are better.

i have a million reasons to yank the 383. the number one is because i want to.

i don't care about the reduction in cubes, i'm increasing efficiency, i should be able to add power, all while adding streetability at the same time.

i built the 383 because the 305 that was in the car had a massive crack in it and it was in dire need of replacement, and because i could. i wanted to drive my car again, after letting it sit for a few years. now i've driven it, and i'm not happy. i want more. i want an LS motor.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

this was the monte in 2003

this was 2007, i had sidepipes on it then, and severely overcammed 305

i don't have any pics of it in it's current state, as it's not much to look at, but here's my build thread on montecarloss.com:
http://www.montecarloss.com/communit...58532&page=all
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Launching!

very nice!