Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Finally going LS- New from Huntington Beach Ca

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally going LS- New from Huntington Beach Ca

After contemplating for some time now I have finally decided to go to an LS engine. As to what LS, not sure yet; hoping to find that answer here. What I do know is that it needs to be one mean beast. 600+hp. LS will be going into a 68 camaro, built for autocross/road course. Just to give you guys an idea what I am replacing, I currently have a high revving 377 SBC, 11:1 compression, 2.08/1.60 valves, .630 lift cam, 1 7/8 headers and a 950cfm carb. I’ve never dyno’d it, but I definitely love the power and I really enjoy how it revs.

What I have in mind based of the little I know… I really like the idea of stroked LS3, or an aftermarket block…something like a RHS block. I like the LSX 454 combo as well… just don’t like that its not aluminum. I don’t think I would go through all the effort just to go with an iron block (just my preference, no offense to anyone). I still have to many questions… hope to get several answer here to help me make a final decision.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

any pictures of the camaro?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

keep the aluminum for the lightweight road racing. you can get ahold of a ls7 aluminum block so you can have bigger cubes. you can still use a ls3 top end on it if you want or go with a ls7 top end. I think ls7s can go to 440ci aluminum.

you definetly want to keep the cam on the small side for road racing and low end power so you are ganna need the cubes to get to your hp goals.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by why87
any pictures of the camaro?
ITs nothing impressive right now... It was a primered drag car for years, now it's just a project car that still needs a lot of work. I have a full speedtech track time suspension on it, forge line wheels 18/19 275/335 wheel combo. Still in the early stages of the built, but don't want to wait for the last minute to put my engine together. I will have a build thread soon with tons of pictures, to document the build.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
keep the aluminum for the lightweight road racing. you can get ahold of a ls7 aluminum block so you can have bigger cubes. you can still use a ls3 top end on it if you want or go with a ls7 top end. I think ls7s can go to 440ci aluminum.

you definetly want to keep the cam on the small side for road racing and low end power so you are ganna need the cubes to get to your hp goals.
I've seen a few people do this, is there a reason why I should use a ls3 top
end? Also, interesting point on the cam... What's considered small in this case? Really like the 440 ci idea, is that just a matter of having bigger bores or stroke too?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Luace
I've seen a few people do this, is there a reason why I should use a ls3 top
end? Also, interesting point on the cam... What's considered small in this case? Really like the 440 ci idea, is that just a matter of having bigger bores or stroke too?
Scoggin Dickey sells a 440 cid shortblock called El Toro Grande (4.125x4.100)
The LS3 topend is a great flowing heads/intake combo remarkably priced and
offered in a CNC version for over 350cfm but favors larger cubic inch combos
because of the large volume intake runners. A small cam for a 440 would be
like 236/248 @ .050 and .6xx lift. (Pat G.) can spec you a custom EPS cam.