Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

MN newbie, new technology to me

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MN newbie, new technology to me

Hows it going?

Im jumping in feet first to some new to me technology, ive been in the automotive field for 14 years (technically also) my dad is a car guy so i was born into cars and hot rods, me and him started a t-bucket when i was 12, we finally finished it when i was 18, i had all sort of gm a body muscle cars during high school too, i like cars basically. out of high school i went to work for a auto parts store/machine shop as a counter guy but worked and built hot rods and muscle cars at home on the side, then after 5 years there i was offered a job at another auto parts store as a machinist, i took the job and ran the machine shop by myself for 5 years and had alot of fun and learned alot along the way also, i also built cars and did side jobs during that times also, after 5 years of the the big O (orielly) came in and made an offer on the store so we got bought out, i took it as a sign to work for myself, so i bought most of the engine machine shop equipment and took that home (more for personal use than a business but i still do motors ocasionaly for freinds etc etc) and now i build hot rods full time at home, Im 30 years old, its been alot of fun.

In the last couple of years my buddy has talked about building a car for bonneville to race, last summer a veteran race car became available so he bought it, minus the motor, so weve been contimplating what to do for power and we finally made a decision,4.8 LS power, the thing that kinda turned us onto it was the hot rod magazines big bang theory, yeah yeah, im sure some of you have opinions about it, but i dont want to hear it, basically im here to learn, ask questions and let you guys know what happens, i know that the LS based motors are great motors so we want to play with one, bascially the idea here is to put the large financial investment on the outside of the motor than on the inside, basically to run and be competative in the glass were going in (d/blown streed roadster) you have to have a $15k motor, and if you blow it up your gonna spend another 10-15k to fix it, were hoping to spend the bulk of the $$ on the external stuff and see what we can put the motor thru and figure out what we need to upgrade on that, we will be running a twin turbo set up on the car and are shooting for 1000hp, now in the article they say they pulled 1200 hp, well either proove or disprove that, and find out what its going to take to make it possible if we disproove.

This project doesnt scare me a bit, i did a ton of engine work and a ton of fab work in my life, ive built cars from stuff other people consider scraps and thro away, ive repaired motors that the same was thought of, it doesnt scare me.

heres a couple pics of some of my cars, not really on topic for here, and also a pic of the race car the 4.8 is going in.

JEFF
Attached Thumbnails MN newbie, new technology to me-101_8605.jpg   MN newbie, new technology to me-32sideview.jpg   MN newbie, new technology to me-2314-001-3.jpg   MN newbie, new technology to me-downsized_1027111428.jpg   MN newbie, new technology to me-26820_277881844994_24459004994_872698_3377629_n-1.jpg  

MN newbie, new technology to me-dd-001-1.jpg   MN newbie, new technology to me-mvc-003s-2-.jpg  

Last edited by jeffbtitus; 01-17-2012 at 08:52 PM.