Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Trans Am Owner - 2000 WS.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trans Am Owner - 2000 WS.6

Finally got my Trans Am a month ago. Picked it up for real cheap and in the process of restoring it to it's former glory...previous owner wasn't that great to it as I'm finding out more and more...

@123k miles when I picked it up.
He busted the trans worse then I thought. Hence rebuild from Jason at TDP.
Tie rods also shot. Found that out on Monday, replacing them this weekend.
Lowering springs without getting an adjustable panhard bar or new shocks. Still need to fix those.
Paint on hood is shot, and 2 minor clearcoat failures on spoiler and front bumper. Hopefully I'll get that painted soon.
Ripped seats. Not that much of a concern. I'll get to it eventually.
...and the stock 10 bolt. Not looking forward to that repair.

But I love my car.
And any car this old is bound to have a few things wrong with it.

However, a few questions.

I changed the oil when I first got it, and it was black as black can be. Is there anything good that can be run through the oil in case I've got sludge in there?

I'd also like to clean the engine out. I've opened up engines before but I don't want to to that until I have to. I've heard Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner is good, so I'm gonna run some of that soon. Along with something to run through the gas tank, any suggestions for that? I'm assuming I'll need to change my fuel filter after I do that?

Is an oil catch can a good idea? Where/what is a good one to get?

Is there anything that can replace the antifreeze catch tank? The stock one is kind of a pain with a dipstick and all, I'd like something that would retain stock function without stock form. Something like what is in the new 5.0 Mustang, where it sits closer to hood level and is clear and readable. Would I be able to get one if I relocated the battery? Is that a good idea?

So many questions. Lol. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails New Trans Am Owner - 2000 WS.6-mybird3.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site! Do yourself a favor and use the Search on here under Seafoam. I have never used it but if you search, you will see how it's done and why. Most questions you listed have already been discussed and once you start using the search, it will help you faster than waiting for someone to respond to your questions.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the site, and +1 for Seafoam. Just search and you can read more about it. It'll do fuel system, top of engine through a vacuum, and bottom of engine through crankcase. Good stuff!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Welcome! Agreed search is your friend.