Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

De-Noobing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-Noobing

I've been lurking on the site for a while, just figured I should go ahead and introduce myself. I'm Scott, from Fort Myers, FL. I don't currently own a LS powered car, but I feel like my time is approaching.

I currently drive a '99 Miata, yeah yeah, I feel like I'm running out of headroom as far as the platform goes and I'm looking forward to getting into something I can start over with and have some room to grow. I've found myself lusting after C5's a lot recently and feel like that's the direction I'm headed, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Teching In

The more I read on the site the more I'm wondering if staying with my current car is a better idea. I really want the power for to get out of my own way (nothing crazy, maybe mid-11's). From everything I've been reading it sounds like you guys start running into powertrain issue; needing to upgrade the driveshaft, rearend, and axles even with modest power levels on a 6 speed.

It almost sounds like I'd be dealing with the exact same issues I'm dealing with on my miata; except everything is just a lot cheaper to modify, put tires on, and repair. Aside from picking up ladies instead of dudes, I'm having trouble seeing the benefits of a corvette over a miata.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pdexta
The more I read on the site the more I'm wondering if staying with my current car is a better idea. I really want the power for to get out of my own way (nothing crazy, maybe mid-11's). From everything I've been reading it sounds like you guys start running into powertrain issue; needing to upgrade the driveshaft, rearend, and axles even with modest power levels on a 6 speed.

It almost sounds like I'd be dealing with the exact same issues I'm dealing with on my miata; except everything is just a lot cheaper to modify, put tires on, and repair. Aside from picking up ladies instead of dudes, I'm having trouble seeing the benefits of a corvette over a miata.
Are you reading this about C5's?
I know a C5 Z06 will get you into the high 11s bone stock(if you can drive), and will hold together for quite a bit of power.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

The only way to compare a Miata to a Corvette is if the Miata has a LS transplant. There is nothing about a light car with a V-8.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Glen
The only way to compare a Miata to a Corvette is if the Miata has a LS transplant. There is nothing about a light car with a V-8.
+1

I would highly recommend researching a V8 swap in that miata. Weight to power is insane - would not take much to make it go and it has been done before - you would not be doing it blind!