Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS Motors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS Motors...

Well its about time i joined the forum and got caught up with whats going these days. Been messing around with 4 cylinders too much and got all caught up in it.
Selling all my KA motor stuff to fund an LS3 in my s13 240sx.
Here's how it was set up before...

It made 464hp and 477torque to the tire.. We fun but ready to make the same power and be more reliable. Will out ac in and enjoy the car a lot more.

I've already picked up a 50k mile clean t56 with a stock flywheel and B&M shifter. As of now thats all I have bought for the car. I've got the funds to finish it but waiting to see if I can find an LS3..
I've check out car-part.com, ebay, and a new crate motor; seems like the new crate motors could be about the same price after all accessories and what not.
Anyone have an idea where I could find a ls3 for a good deal?

Glad to be here and doing my homework before I go apesh*t and start buying parts...

My goal is 500whp N/A. Want it to be very stock and easy to maintain. Lots of low end power is wanted, that's why I want to do the ls3.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

You could do what i did... Find a good used LS2 Block, Bore it .005 , Install a 4.0 inch Stroke aftermarket Forged Steel Crank, Rods & Pistons. ARP Main Studs, 3/8" Chromemoly pushrods with Ported LS3 Heads, ARP Head bolts... & end up with 404 c.i.
This would give you more useable torque on the street. Use at least a 238/240 Duration Cam @ .050" lift with a .609 / .610 " lift cam to take advantage of the xtra cubic inches.
This will give you about 500 Reliable RWHP.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Ya the more I am thinking about it the more I dont really want to do the LS3.
I cant make up my mind.. 500 rwhp is going to be a lot in my car.

It seems as if all the mods you did to yours could buy an ls3 with a cam though? Going price of an ls3 is around 5k? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Im looking into doing an LS2 now.. Just a cam and some bolt ons, I dont really want to mess with internals besides cam and rod bolts to be honest. I think my goal of 500rwhp is a little unrealistic for what I want to spend. I would like to have 5k in the longblock, all accessories, wiring harness, and ecu.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would find a used LS1 (LS6 if you can find it) longblock from somewhere like Craigslist or Ebay. Put it in and then save some more and when your ready open it up get the crank turned if you need it, do rods and pistons. Then get some new valve springs and a nice moderately sized cam and be done with it. You can even do heads if you got the pockets for it.

I'm saying this because you can get a Ls1 long block for a pretty decent price now days. However, your going to need a clutch, tick master, and lots of other odds and ins like headers exhaust work, blah blah to complete the swap. But this is just my opinion.

I feel like in a car that lightweight even a bolt on and tuned Ls1 would be plenty fun to hold you over until your next round of mod's. Plus be super reliable as long as you do the swap clean and get all the bugs worked out.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Found what im getting..
Thoughts?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...rods-pics.html
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go for it

Just see if he will provide leakdown information or compression test.

Be careful 0 Itrader but has been a member since 2004.

Call and talk to them for sure and go see it in person if at all possible.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Go for it

Just see if he will provide leakdown information or compression test.

Be careful 0 Itrader but has been a member since 2004.

Call and talk to them for sure and go see it in person if at all possible.
Ig I were to put in a smaller cam, would those valve springs work? I think they are .650. I want something with more low end power than a high peak power.
Suggestions on a cam?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like the EPS 226/234 cam. But anything in the mid 220's to the low to 230's.

If it was me and I'm werid like this and people might be telling me I am wasting money. I would replace them. MS4 has an agressive ramp rate and would be pretty tough on springs. I actually need to think about changing my valve springs here at some point.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

you'll be surprised how fast all the little things add up in a swap. wiring harness is 600, ecu is a couple hundred, you also have to get the vats flashed out, but if you're modding, they can do this when you get it tuned 400+. motor mounts/tranny mount. fuel pump. gauges???
I did a 5.3 swap in a 2nd gen camaro about 10 years ago when people were just starting to do them, there is definitly a larger support group for it now but i know many people that spend all their money on an engine/tranny and spend the next few years cursing their money pit just because they didn't think about the details.

best of luck on your swap. you're at the right place to ask questions.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome...Any reason of why you are choosing N/A over FI?

A turbo 6 liter or even a 4.8 goes a long way and much cheaper since you will have to spend on everything else also.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
you'll be surprised how fast all the little things add up in a swap. wiring harness is 600, ecu is a couple hundred, you also have to get the vats flashed out, but if you're modding, they can do this when you get it tuned 400+. motor mounts/tranny mount. fuel pump. gauges???
I did a 5.3 swap in a 2nd gen camaro about 10 years ago when people were just starting to do them, there is definitly a larger support group for it now but i know many people that spend all their money on an engine/tranny and spend the next few years cursing their money pit just because they didn't think about the details.

best of luck on your swap. you're at the right place to ask questions.
Ive got all fuel system done. Bought the kit last night to swap including headers, Having a local shop tune the car, $250ish, have all the gauges plus some i wont need.
I need to get a clutch master, clutch line, speed bleeder, power steering lines, accusump, spec clutch, and other little odds ends like gaskets and fluids.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Welcome...Any reason of why you are choosing N/A over FI?

A turbo 6 liter or even a 4.8 goes a long way and much cheaper since you will have to spend on everything else also.
Don't want to have turbo lag, fabbing up a turbo kit is kinda expensive unless you do the flip truck manifold method, tunes always cost more, more parts are more problems. No turbos for me for a while. I don't like going cheap on stuff and it gets pretty expensive fast.
I've been using a turbo for almost 4 years now and would like a change. I like the sound of the ls NA and want a nice driving, continuous power platform.

I want to autox the car, drift it, road race some, and even some drag racing.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a wrecked CTS-V on ebay being parted out with the LS-6 for sale. I believe they said they would include an ECU and standalone harness for an extra $700. I think it was around 4k, but my memory isn't that good. It's worth looking around though.