Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First post-3 years later!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post-3 years later!

Joined 3 years ago and decided to make my first post. Been waiting to do it when I actually had something to say worth reading. I am going to be getting parts together to put a 6.2L or a LS7 into a 4TH GEN Camaro in the near future. Trying to locate a decent plain jane Camaro. You know the kind, a 98-02, manual window beauty. I have been doing some research on what needs to be done and what parts I need. Hopefully with any luck, I will have the car soon and can start disassembly. This car is to be street legal with all of the interior but the rear seat, driven regularly and flogged at the dragstrip. If all the pieces come together, I will be doing a blog with photos to continue into the dragstrip testing. Any thoughts, parts available or general information is always appreciated. Thanks for the first three years of lurking membership.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

ls7 will be more work and pain and expensive , why not just use a 6.0 or 6.2 with heads and cam .
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Teching In

What is the difference in using a 6.2L and a LS7? I figure at the point that you have the car tore apart to go from what probably is going to be a V-6 donor car to convert to LS Power, is any more work going to kill you? The cost between going from buying a complete with ECM, including rebuild of 6.2L to a new LS7 is minimal at that point. Anything can be done as long as you have patience and knowledge (money doesn't hurt either). Am I missing something?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

The dry sump setup will be more work to mount. Ls7 fr f body headers are rare to find used so theres 1200 bucks. The list goes on. Ls7 is cool just not as cost effective and more of a pain.

But go for it I'd like to see another ls7 fbody
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I too have been lurking the forums for so e time as a guest, sounds like an interesting build, looking forward to see some progress
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Sounds interesting looking forward to seeing the blog and some photos.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a 6.0 is a more better start build
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by motorcitykid
What is the difference in using a 6.2L and a LS7? I figure at the point that you have the car tore apart to go from what probably is going to be a V-6 donor car to convert to LS Power, is any more work going to kill you? The cost between going from buying a complete with ECM, including rebuild of 6.2L to a new LS7 is minimal at that point. Anything can be done as long as you have patience and knowledge (money doesn't hurt either). Am I missing something?
The first start with any "project car" should begin with asking yourself, "What is my main goal with this car?" (ie. drag strip queen, DD, etc) Ultimately, the SMARTEST and MOST COST EFFECTIVE build would be the most ideal. There's more to a build than just buying the biggest motor and stuffing it into a car. Weigh out your options and the pros/cons for each set-up and do a cost estimation on paper before you decide anything.

If you're just wanting to do a build in hopes of achieving stock LS7 hp territory, I would seriously consider a FI LQ9, or a full bolt-on 6.2.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: First post-3 years later!