Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Looking into buying an early 2000's WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into buying an early 2000's WS6

Alright guys, heres the low down. I'm deployed right now on my second tour, and I'm saving up the money this time since I no longer have a wife to spend it all, and I currently drive a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. I needed a fuel sipper, but I'm tired of the car payment. Plus I want to get back into my American cars. Basically I just wanted to know the things to look for when buying/dealing with the T/A's. It's either this or a project S10 with an LS swap. haha

(I am a gearhead, and GM guy. So please don't belittle me right out of the get go.)
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Well pick up a used low mileage Camaro and mod it, Its pretty simple LOL By the why I am over there too.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Yea thats a good rule of thumb for any used car haha. Well seeing as how I'm 21 insurance is cheaper on the WS6. Ya'll don't jump my case when I say that they are virtually the same car, but they are.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your service! I lurk the used ads and Ebay Motors and I've seen WS6's list more than the Later GTO's! that said, there are deals out there. So many of these cars have been Frankensteined (sorry keeping it real) I hope you find one that doesn't light up the dash every time you turn it over. I've seen cherry low mile Z's for cheap, cherry T/A's for a little more, the SS's and WS6's start going up from there. (I found a purple cherry low mile Z for $10k and did a verbal agreement and my wife killed the deal) All have the LS1 and all ready for mods. I've owned 2 F bodies and if I can give advice it would be to shop for the 'color' and 'quality' you want. I know I know...but color is something that doesn't seem to change until everything is done. If you have to fly or catch a bus for pick up it will be worth it and will add to the stories ye shall tell. Good luck man and be safe out there
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM

Welcome!

As previously mentioned, can't go wrong with e-bay. However it's worth your while to check out Craig's List in major cities too. I'm from Texas, and if you check out CL listings in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio you'll eventually find something. That's what I did There is also a dealership in Houston called Texas Auto Direct. They get some nice Trans Ams in from time to time, have their inventory online, and will ship anywhere. Hope this helps!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks RJ and Doc. Seems like there are some good ones out there, I'm looking for a generally stock one with the 6 speed. I wish they made more of the orange ones. Best color for the car in my opinion. Either way, it's going to be a few months of me over here before I've got the money to get it. Although it doesn't hurt to look now.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voltage2009
Thanks RJ and Doc. Seems like there are some good ones out there, I'm looking for a generally stock one with the 6 speed. I wish they made more of the orange ones. Best color for the car in my opinion. Either way, it's going to be a few months of me over here before I've got the money to get it. Although it doesn't hurt to look now.
The Orange T/A's are rare because they only made a few hundred each option type, but I've seen a couple of them for sale on Ebay and Yahoo cars in Houston area this past year with light mods, and 1 was for sale in Kansas that was bone stock and a car show entry - now that would be worth paying a little more for!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Yea found one on craigslist for 7200. Doesn't seem to bad. Gonna have my dad go check it out with a fine tooth comb since I'm deployed. It is bright red, with the tan color interior. Saw where they only made something like 450ish of those in a 6 speed. At least is somewhat rare haha! It is pretty much stock. It's straight piped, has a Borla C/B exhaust to go with it. The only down sides I've noticed, at least from the post, is that its got 144,xxx miles on it and the drivers fender and side skirt is scratched. He says its not even into the fiber glass at all. We'll see how it goes, hopefully this time next week I'm a proud Trans Am WS6 owner!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forums! Goodluck finding a good car out there shouldnt be too hard, you can also check on the classifieds!

Quick Reply: Looking into buying an early 2000's WS6